• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catamount: New Glade Lift

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
https://liftblog.com/2020/10/27/catamount-to-replace-glade-lift-in-2021/

I don't personally ski Catamount and I'm not sure exactly what state this lift was in, but I have yet to understand why they removed the lift before they had a replacement, especially considering Covid would make them want to spread out crowds. Anyone have any info on this?

It was in pretty rough shape. They can use the quad to access the top for night skiing. I bet it failed its inspection by the state, hence it being dismantled. Every time I got on it, the damn bar hit my helmet.

ne_skier

It was in pretty rough shape. They can use the quad to access the top for night skiing. I bet it failed its inspection by the state, hence it being dismantled. Every time I got on it, the damn bar hit my helmet.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Perhaps it failed inspection and they figured a new lift would be better than making modifications. I can't think of any other reason really. Also fun fact, now that Glade's gone Catamount is the last chairlift in the northeast made by SLI

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It was an ancient lift. If they knew they were going to replace it why keep it this season? I doubt it would be needed this season with Covid capacity restrictions. Is it even worth maintaining/insuring for one more season if it's just a backup lift that' not needed?

This damn forum won't let me upload pictures but I had some great ones nearly 10 years ago when the lift was rocking an awesome black/yellow scheme.

ne_skier

Yeah, it was getting pretty old. It would've turned 50 next year. Here's some old pics of Catamount, there's some of Glade with the yellow chairs, as well as pics of the old Ridge Double and Mountain View lift: http://www.chairlift.org/catamount.html
What's the state of the Catamount lift? That thing's 53 years old

urungus

Is the state of Massachusetts or NY responsible for certifying lifts at Catamount ?

ne_skier

Is the state of Massachusetts or NY responsible for certifying lifts at Catamount ?

Their street address is in Hillsdale, NY so I have to assume NY is responsible for certifications, even though Meadows and Promenade are in MA

Slidebrook87

Both, NY does the quad. MA does the rest

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Glade was further into NY than the quad so are you sure NY was only responsible for the quad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newpylong

Always loved Catamount, great to see it getting the love. However whoever designed that new boulevard down the front next to Catapult should be shot. One of those was enough.

spiderpig

Always loved Catamount, great to see it getting the love. However whoever designed that new boulevard down the front next to Catapult should be shot. One of those was enough.

good to have another steep trail, but it should have been about half the width

ne_skier

Apparently parts are arriving for the new Glade lift. Looks to be a Poma triple chair from the 80s, something similar to Promenade.
Pics are at the bottom of the bullet point list