• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington winter ops update

skiur

https://www.killington.com/plan-your-trip/getting-here/parking-reservations

The season is right around the corner, and we can’t wait for the Longest Season in the East to get started. Over a month ago we sent out our Winter Operations Plan and although we included a lot of detail, we still had some unanswered questions that I will address today. You will find high-level information below and I encourage you to click the links to our website for all the details.

Our continued goal is to ensure the wellbeing of all, and an important part of Operation Stay Safe is managing the number of people at the resort at any given time. Doing so will enable appropriate physical distancing so that you may stay safe and have a great, fun-filled Killington Resort experience.  

Parking reservations are an important part of us ensuring all at the resort are able to appropriately physically distance. The parking reservation system will be in place every day of the season and parking spaces must be reserved before arriving to the resort to ensure availability.  Starting Thursday, November 5, at 10:00 A.M. you can book up to seven advance days throughout the season. You will be able to book a reservation starting Monday, November 23 and as we get closer to Opening Day, we will release passholder and Ikon dates for you to reserve above and beyond your advanced 7-day reservations. Once the season begins, you will also be able to book an unlimited number of days in the immediate rolling 7-day window. As your advance days fall into the rolling 7-day window, you can book additional advance days, only reserving up to seven at any given time.  

The parking management system means you can know that when you plan a trip to Killington, you will have a great experience, starting with the confidence in having plenty of room to spread out on the mountain.

We will still need the majority of our guests to treat your car like a base lodge and, if you can, boot up at your car. After further consideration as a result of feedback from many of you–our passholders–we understand that for some access to the lodge to put boots on in the morning is needed. We will be allowing access to base lodges for booting up (if building capacity allows); however, bags cannot be left in the lodge and bag check will be moved to a new location that can be accessed anytime during the day from outside.

We announced our anticipated Opening Day at Killington but keep in mind this date continues to be dependent on having top-to-bottom skiing and riding with access to multiple base area lifts. If Mother Nature does not allow us to achieve this, we will delay our opening. From Opening Day through Sunday, November 22, access to the mountain will be reserved for you, Killington Season Passholders and Ikon guests only. At this time, we plan to begin accepting Express Card Holders, day tickets, passholder bring a friend tickets, vouchers, etc. starting Monday, November 23, and advance purchase lift tickets will go on-sale beginning Friday, November 6. Per state of Vermont guidance, guests can travel to Vermont only from approved counties on the Vermont Travel map without a quarantine prior to their arrival. This travel map is updated on a weekly basis, every Tuesday and we expect this policy to be in place throughout the season.

Don't forget, every Season Pass is covered by the Passholder Promise, so you can rest assured that your investment will be protected should there be a covered Covid-19 related interruption during the upcoming winter season. This coverage includes the option to receive a full refund before November 20, as well as Zero Use Coverage for qualifying passes, which guarantees a future use voucher for the full amount paid for your season pass if at the end of the 2020-21 season you have used 0 days for any reason, including not being able to visit due to travel guidelines.

For more information about what to expect this season, visit 20/21 Winter Operations. As a reminder, these plans are subject to change once the state of Vermont issues and approves ski resort restart guidance. We look forward to a great, fun-filled ski and ride season.  

As I stated in my last update, while there is always a competition to open first, we believe winning this year means all of us doing our part to put into place thoughtful plans and follow guidelines and best practices to keep one another safe, so that we may enjoy a full season of skiing and riding. I trust our commitment to continuing our candid communication gives you confidence in our plans for the upcoming season. I know everyone is continuing to adapt in their own way and I wanted to make sure you know how we continue to adjust. 

If you still have questions we haven’t answered yet, please submit them here. 

I look forward to seeing you on the trails.  

Mike Solimano  
President & General Manager

Click the link for more info.

machski

Well, what they do this year apparently won't matter to me. Hillsborough County in NH is never coming out of restricted as far as I can tell this winter so I'm limited to the last two weeks of January because of stacked vacations from work. But wide doesn't have, so to be a legit quarantine, I'd have to do that away from my wife and home. Looks like VT won't see me this winter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

I live in Rockingham County and we’re red also. I’ve enjoyed starting my season at Mt Snow the last couple of years. Hmmm...

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Puck it

This is a little extreme.

From Killington Snow Report this afternoon:

This winter is certainly different from those in the past, but one thing that hasn't changed is our passion for skiing and riding at The Beast. Please remember, face masks are required at all times while at the resort - indoors and outdoors, yes skiing/riding, in lift lines and while riding lifts. Unless you're seated and eating or drinking, please keep your mask up. We strongly suggest bringing one or two extra face masks, so you can change them if they get wet. Learn everything you need to know about how to visit Killington this winter here.

Slidebrook87

This is a little extreme.

From Killington Snow Report this afternoon:

This winter is certainly different from those in the past, but one thing that hasn't changed is our passion for skiing and riding at The Beast. Please remember, face masks are required at all times while at the resort - indoors and outdoors, yes skiing/riding, in lift lines and while riding lifts. Unless you're seated and eating or drinking, please keep your mask up. We strongly suggest bringing one or two extra face masks, so you can change them if they get wet. Learn everything you need to know about how to visit Killington this winter here.
I’m all for masks, but is it really necessary when you’re outdoors, spaced apart, and constantly moving? I get the lift lines, inside, etc, but the whole while skiing and riding thing is a bit extreme. Either way it wasn’t enforced since most people skied down without it and then pulled it up at the lift.

drjeff

I’m all for masks, but is it really necessary when you’re outdoors, spaced apart, and constantly moving? I get the lift lines, inside, etc, but the whole while skiing and riding thing is a bit extreme. Either way it wasn’t enforced since most people skied down without it and then pulled it up at the lift.

The theory behind this, and yes it is a bit on the extreme, is that if you're skiing/riding by yourself, or get separated from your group, and happen to fall and get injured, that your mask will be in place when patrol arrives to help you. In that case, you're wearing your mask for the safety of those who may need to help yuo should you get injured.

Secondarily, if you take your mask down while skiing, most people won't stop, PRIOR to heading into the queue lanes when you're more likely to be in closer proximity to others, and put your mask back up.

Again, is it a policy that is taking things to the extreme on a precautions side? Yes. However in this society where for some, any risk is too much risk, it is the current set of guidelines that they have to push to let the state allow them to keep the lifts spinning

Puck it

The theory behind this, and yes it is a bit on the extreme, is that if you're skiing/riding by yourself, or get separated from your group, and happen to fall and get injured, that your mask will be in place when patrol arrives to help you. In that case, you're wearing your mask for the safety of those who may need to help yuo should you get injured.

Secondarily, if you take your mask down while skiing, most people won't stop, PRIOR to heading into the queue lanes when you're more likely to be in closer proximity to others, and put your mask back up.

Again, is it a policy that is taking things to the extreme on a precautions side? Yes. However in this society where for some, any risk is too much risk, it is the current set of guidelines that they have to push to let the state allow them to keep the lifts spinning
I call BS on the patrol thing.

drjeff

I call BS on the patrol thing.
That was straight from a friend of mine, who is a patroller at Wachusett.

When they arrive on site of someone who may be injured and/or unconscious, they're very quickly within that 6 foot social distance "space" trying to help the injured out. That's just the reality of what they do.

Again, I do get that it is the "extreme" situation, however getting struck by lightening is an extreme event too, but it does happen

djd66

That was straight from a friend of mine, who is a patroller at Wachusett.

When they arrive on site of someone who may be injured and/or unconscious, they're very quickly within that 6 foot social distance "space" trying to help the injured out. That's just the reality of what they do.

Again, I do get that it is the "extreme" situation, however getting struck by lightening is an extreme event too, but it does happen
I do not doubt the truth on what you are saying. But if I get into a car accident, are the EMT’s not going to rescue me if I am trapped in my car without a mask on?

abc

It's actually the main reason places ask you wear while skiing. Though a serious outlier case.

I am a huge mask wearer but it's gonna come down when I start to head downhill.
I'm not gonna lie, I don't like wearing a mask.

But despite my dislike, I'm wearing it where it's required/recommended. I'm doing it for the benefit of the others, but also for my own safety.

When I mountain bike in the summer, I dislike wearing knee/elbow pads because they're hot and bothers me. But I wear them despite my dislike. The chance of my elbow/knee encountering a rock or tree trunk is non-zero. The consequence of that is worse than the minor inconvenience of the pads.

DrJeff put up a good reason of why to have the mask on even while skiing down. I think it's a good enough argument for me. I'll be wearing mine both up and down.

urungus

Also you are repeatedly touching your face, which increases chance of contact transmission, if you take your mask off at the start of every run, then put it back on at the bottom.

icecoast1

Has anyone found a goggle/mask set up that allows you to keep your nose covered the whole time and not steam up your goggles creating another pothentially dangerous situation?

Newpylong

All good points. I will just be happy to be out doing something that's on the high end of the safe activity spectrum at this point.