• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush rant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
Got this in my inbox today.

communications@sugarbush.com said:
March Snow is on the Way

There are a lot of downsides to attending Catholic school. For starters, there’s the dress code. Being made to wear a tie with a shirt whose top button creates a hermetic seal around the wearer’s neck is the equivalent of water boarding to a teenager. Secondly, there is the discipline. Slights to authority, real or perceived, were not met with anything as passé as a ruler to the wrist. (The Augustinian Order prides itself on creativity.) Rather, punishments skewed to the psychological. Evildoers were often made to write out in reverse entire textbook chapters or gawk at an analog clock for hours on end. (If you think your life is moving too fast, just try staring at a sweep hand for two hours.)

But the most chafing of all torments was their masochistic use of biblically inspired maxims. Try denying a crime? You got, “A leopard cannot change its spots.” Bomb a test? “Don’t you know knowledge is power,” was hissed as the paper was spiked down football-like on your desk. The most excruciating platitude, however, was the one that was taunted during the clock-staring showdowns. “Good things come to those who wait, Mr. Toland. And wait you will.”

Fifteen years of therapy and a Valentine’s Day blizzard have finally brought that axiom into a positive light. Two weeks ago what started out as a few flurries in the morning turned into a raging snowstorm by the afternoon; at one point dumping up to three inches an hour across the hill. When it was all said and done, Sugarbush received more than four feet of snow. The season’s early famine had finally turned into a feast.

Am I overly sensitive, or were these catholic jokes misplaced in a snow report?

Greg

Staff member
All I know is the traverse on top of Castlerock over to Middle Earth can truly be a religious experience:

DSC05956.jpg

Grassi21

All I know is the traverse on top of Castlerock over to Middle Earth can truly be a religious experience:

DSC05956.jpg

Is there anyway for me to block the pics you post? They always make me want to take a vacation/sick day.

dmc

The comments do seem a little missplaced..

dmc

It was an attempt at humor... But it missed an important element... being funny...

Grassi21

I don't see any problem with it...

I don't think its problematic, more superfluous.

Side note, I can thank The Simpson's for my understanding of the word superfluous. Krusty the Clown had a superfluous third nipple. Still love that show...

bvibert

Staff member
A little misplaced perhaps. He was trying to tie in his final paragraph, which he could have done effectively with a lot less words IMHO...

cbcbd

Seems out of place, and the attempt to expel his bitter demons of Catholic-school-past through a snow report is actually kind of lame - I'm not offended but feel awkward as this person opens up childhood resentments in an unconventional medium.

It was an attempt at humor... But it missed an important element... being funny...

My sentiments exactly.

I'm a proud Catholic School graduate (laugh at me if you will, :wink: ), and I wasn't offended. But I don't think it had anything to do with the snow report, and I'm going to investigate the source further. I just thought it was pretty stupid, to be honest.

Got this in my inbox today.
Am I overly sensitive, or were these catholic jokes misplaced in a snow report?

I'm confused now. I get the snow reports in my email daily, but this is what I got:

Sugarbush Snow Report Email [email]communications@sugarbush.com[/email] said:
Wednesday, February 28th - 6:00 a.m.

Hello, Sugarbushers, and thanks for checking the snow report. Today we are
skiing and riding 100% of our legendary terrain serviced by 13 of 16 lifts.
Wednesday promises to be fantastic here at Sugarbush, great snow and lots of
sunshine. The forecast is calling for a mix of sun and clouds with base highs
around 32 and summits in the low 20's. The conditions right now are awesome;
we’ve seen 83” or nearly 7 feet of new snow in February so it's the perfect
time to spread out and enjoy small lift lines, wide-open slopes and, of course,
lots of snow. Just call 1-800-53-SUGAR and ask about our ski and stay
packages.

Today you’ll find 111 trails on packed powder with a 30-60” base. We’ve got
something for all skill levels and desires – park and pipe can be found at Mt.
Ellen, groomers laid seamless corduroy on 50 trails overnight, Castlerock has
some excellent bump runs, glades are buried in snow, and there’s plenty of
steep double diamonds to beginner terrain as well. Patrol's Picks today are
Exterminator at Mount Ellen and Sunrise at Lincoln Peak.

Terrain features: In the Reimergasse terrain park we have our 250’ halfpipe
with 10-foot walls. The park also features 9 jumps ranging from 10 to 45 foot
tables and a couple rails at the base. The Jib Scene terrain park features a
bonk, and multiple boxes and rails. New this week - Progressive Park on
Crackerjack and Beginner Park on Sugarbear Forest.

Events:
3/1-4/07 New England Masters Skiing: The Sise Cup
3/3/07 Parkinson's Fundraiser Ski Challenge
3/3/07 Green Mountain Toboggan Challenge
3/4/07 VT Teddy Bear Race

Lifts: 13 of 16 lifts are spinning. Base lifts close at 4 pm, and upper
mountain chairs close at 3:45.

Lift tickets: All Mountain Rates: $66 for Adults (19-69); $59 for Youth (7-18);
and $44 for Seniors (70 and up). Mt. Ellen only: $52 for Adults; $43 for
Youth; and $35 for Seniors. Kids 6 and under ski or ride for free. Remember,
you can save $ with Multi-day and Flex Tickets!

Enter to win a Sugarbush and Green Mountain Coffee Getaway!

So I guess the question is, when did you actually receive the email, and why didn't I get that one? I only received the actual snow report, which appears quite free of any Catholic-bashing.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm confused now. I get the snow reports in my email daily, but this is what I got:

So I guess the question is, when did you actually receive the email, and why didn't I get that one? I only received the actual snow report, which appears quite free of any Catholic-bashing.

I got the email in question today after the snow report came.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
ISo I guess the question is, when did you actually receive the email, and why didn't I get that one? I only received the actual snow report, which appears quite free of any Catholic-bashing.

I got the snow report you did this morning, along with the above e-mail . If you want a full copy of it go here:

http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1100356732958&ea=tgalvin@dataforge.com&a=1101560523086

I found it disrespectful, and I am not a practicing Catholic. There are plenty of other mountains that will gladly take my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.