• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bug Repellent

Skier75

I was wondering what everyone/anyone uses for bug spray/insect repellent? I swear I'm like a bug magnet.... :cry: Course I know deet is supposed to work best, but it's kinda hard to get it on your face when you start sweating, it starts to run.

I also had a friend suggest trying to take a vitimin B-12?? I think that's what she suggested. Her recommendation was to try it out to see if it would work for me. Your supposed to take it for at least a month before it would make any kind of help. Well I started to take it but.....#1 I'm really bad in consistently taking vitimins :roll: (I know I should be taking some others), but....#2 I didn't like the fact that it makes your pee soo yellow, and #3 I'm really bad in taking medicine anyway.....Got any ideas?

Jaytrek57

Two suggestions;

1. Cover up. Light weight long sleeves and lightweight hiking pants.
2. Head Net: Believe they work.

I do these things when the bastards...er...I mean god's little creatures are at their worst. On multi-day trips I really don't like to keep adding layers of deet (have some good stuff from my Army days).

I also don't like after a long day of hiking hitting that sleeping bag with again said layer of deet...so basic covering up is the way I go.

Mike P.

See Greg's link. In addition to the long pants & the head nets, color does come into play a little. Avoid bright & dark colors. On my last coupel of trips I've been wearing a light gray tank top instead of usual Navy or white. I think I've been bitten less without wearing any repellent.

Try adjusting colors, Citrenella is not very effective (I always thought it was odd that Tenders sold a repellent & After Bite Product together :wink: ) I'd use a 30% DEET Product first before going to Ben's 100 (95% DEET) only in early June in ADK's or ME would I consider Ben's 100 first.

sp1936

I had a chance to try out Ultrathon last week in the Pemi and it worked pretty well. I was really getting swarmed by mosquitoes on a boggy section of the Franconia Brook Trail. I stopped and applied the Ultrathon and immediately got relief. Don't believe the 12 hour claim, though. Tip: wet your hands a little before applying.

Steve