• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 4/4 - 4/5 Storm Discussion Thread

snoseek

Darn! Why do I have to be at work this week? Ever notice how the good dumpages this year fall on holidays? Valentines, St. Patrick's, Holy Week/Easter.

got thursday and friday to track it up before the holiday weekend though.

nhski

From the Sunday River snow report:

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Notice something with the forecasts for this upcoming storm? They all say Maine gets the most. Sorry NH and VT. It happens. It's nothing to be ashamed of, you just don't have as many inches.

The fat lady is NOT singing. etc....

PF AMTS BTWN 00-12Z AFT CHGOVR ARE MARGINAL ALG WRN SLOPES BUT IF
COOLING/CHGOVR OCCUR ERLR AS XPCTG THAN WRNG CRITERIA LKLY. MEANWHILE...
ALG/E GRN MTNS WRNG CRITERIA LKLY WITH 4-8/5-10 INCHES AND LCLLY
UP TO A FOOT PSBL ALG HIER TERRAIN ALONG ERN SLOPES.

From the 11:45 discussion update. This is just for tonight....

THU: STEADIEST SNOW LIFTS NE OF FA BY MRNG BUT DVLPG NNW UPSLOPE
FLOW WL KEEP ACTVTY GOING...ESP NRN GRNS WITH GRTST FOCUS ARD JAY
PEAK
WHERE THIS WL BE A LONG DURATION CONTS ACCUM SNOW EVENT.

THU PM-SAT: COUPLED LOW MAINTAINS CONTROL ACRS NRN FA/QUEBEC
THRU THIS PERIOD WITH THE COMBINATION OF COLD CORE AND INDIVIDUAL S/W
ROTATING ARD LOW PSBL TRIGGERS FOR ENHANCED ACTVTY. AGAIN...NE FRANKLIN
CTY NR JAY PEAK
WL ENDURE STEADY SNOW WHILE REST OF MTNS WITNESS
-SHSN LKLY/SCT SHSN WHILE VLYS ARE CHC/SCT -SHSN.

From the 3:28 discussion.

snowmonster

The rain here in Boston just turned to heavy snow.

snoseek, I was planning to be "sick" on Thursday and Friday but no go. Chained to the office and looks like I'll have to ski tracked up snow on Saturday. Save some for me at the River, will you?

thetrailboss

Staff member
O.CON.KBTV.WS.W.0006.000000T0000Z- 070405T1000Z/ EASTERN ADDISON-EASTERN RUTLAND- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... BRISTOL...RIPTON...EAST WALLINGFORD... KILLINGTON 351 PM EDT WED APR 4 2007

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EDT THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON CONTINUES A WINTER STORM WARNING UNTIL 6 AM EDT THURSDAY FOR EASTERN ADDISON AND EASTERN RUTLAND COUNTIES WHERE 4 TO 8 INCHES OF WET SNOW IS EXPECTED.

WET SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES TONIGHT BEFORE GRADUALLY TAPERING TO SNOW SHOWERS BY THURSDAY MORNING. TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE FROM 4 INCHES TO 8 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE.

THIS HEAVY WET SNOW WILL LIKELY CAUSE SLICK...TREACHEROUS ROAD CONDITIONS AND THE WEIGHT OF THE SNOW MAY CAUSE SOME SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES LATE TONIGHT AND EARLY THURSDAY. TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL BE ADVERSELY AFFECTED BY REDUCED VISIBILITY IN SNOW. PLEASE PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

snoseek

The rain here in Boston just turned to heavy snow.

snoseek, I was planning to be "sick" on Thursday and Friday but no go. Chained to the office and looks like I'll have to ski tracked up snow on Saturday. Save some for me at the River, will you?

no worries, this weekend the river will be real nice. this heavy stuff grooms well and should make for some nice bump skiing. also it sort of looks unsettled for the next 3 or 4 days.

thetrailboss

Staff member

What a terrible, TERRIBLE thing to have....groomed, fresh snow. :wink:

Seriously...skiing this stuff untracked is tiring and not fun. It is wet and heavy. Groom it up for me any day.

Greg

Staff member
Seriously...skiing this stuff untracked is tiring and not fun. It is wet and heavy. Groom it up for me any day.

:blink:

I'll take tracked out wet cement over a groomer anyday...

loafer89

I have decided to make the run up to Sunday River in the morning, rather than slog through heavy rain, and then the transition zone over to snow today. I figure if we leave by 5am, that we should be at the river by 10-11am barring any really heavy snow on the roads.

The car is all packed and ready for action.

Currently it's 35F here at home with just a cold rain, but we will probably get some snow tonight.

tcharron

To each their own I guess.

Hey tcharron....did you make it up to Burke???

:sad:

Unfortunately the tickets from Greg didn't come in until the 26th, we ended up hitting Killington on the 25th. Last week I had a bad ear infection, so I ended up letting my kids and their Father-in-law have the tickets. Least they had fun up there. Really hoping to hit Sunday River this weekend, given the snowfall, PURFECT timing to head up there for some fun. :)

Now if the remainder of this ear infection would just go the frack away.

Zand

Mount Snow tomorrow... 1 foot there. Then my season is over. :( ...Kinda hard ending it with a powder day.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Still snowing here in the Upper Valley. Hasn't really amounted to much...a wet 3-4 inches or so.

win

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Just got home from the mountain, and it is snowing heavily. Our forecast guru who is usually conservative predicted 7-11" tonight, and I would be surprised if we do not get 18" by this weekend. We are likely to have 100% of Lincoln Peak Open by tomorrow or Friday and that means The Rock. Right now (9:30pm) on Wednesday it is 31 Degrees at the base and 22 degrees at the summit so the snow is drier and lighter up top. It is going to bond really well with the snow that was already there. The next several days are going to be great skiing. We are going to be three for three on Holiday storms - Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's and now Easter weekend.

AdironRider

Should definately be good. Hitting the face on Friday on my way home and then Cannon or perhaps the river on Sat. Most likely Cannon.

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
Just got home from the mountain, and it is snowing heavily. Our forecast guru who is usually conservative predicted 7-11" tonight, and I would be surprised if we do not get 18" by this weekend. We are likely to have 100% of Lincoln Peak Open by tomorrow or Friday and that means The Rock. Right now (9:30pm) on Wednesday it is 31 Degrees at the base and 22 degrees at the summit so the snow is drier and lighter up top. It is going to bond really well with the snow that was already there. The next several days are going to be great skiing. We are going to be three for three on Holiday storms - Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's and now Easter weekend.

I skied Sugarbush today. The morning was a different day than the afternoon. Once there was a couple of new inches on the hard stuff it skied like buttah on the groomed. Paradise and Ripcord's bumps were very literally solid and they just hurt to ski. But as the afternoon progressed they were getting sweeter and sweeter as the troughs filled with new snow, especially on the edges of Ripcord. I can't wait to see what this place is going to feel like tomorrow! The lifties were smiling big grins and saying, "Just wait until tomorrow."

Snow is falling hard. At the Weathertop Inn we are at right now there is a 4WD vehicle that can't make it up the driveway!