• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nude hiking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Staff member
Nude dude said:
But the philosophical merits of this discussion are much more interesting to me than a prospective personality conflict.
I would consider this more of a healthy debate not a "conflict".
Nude dude said:
Despite the fact that I feel it's my God-given right to be naked when and where I please...
But it's not. As stated earlier in this thread, it's illegal. According to New Hampshire State Law, if one "exposes his or her genitals", they are guilty of a misdemeanor, Indecent Exposure and Lewdness. - See Chapter 645 Public Indecency.
Nude dude said:
I accept the fact that society does not feel this way. Consequently, I adjust my behavior accordingly in spite of the fact that society chose me and not vice-versa. (I didn't choose society and don't really have the option of rejecting it without rejecting all the worthwhile people within it as well.) What you need to do, my friend, is expand your mind and realize that what I do in the seclusion of the uninhabited woods is none of your concern so long as it doesn't affect you. This is the right of a free man exercising free will.
Again, it has nothing to do with society's views. It has to do with Law.
Nude dude said:
Also, your assault analogy rings hollow. In my example, there was no victim; in yours, there was.
Okay. Point taken. Probably not a fair analogy.

In retrospect, my nude hiker experience was rather funny, but at the time it kind of annoyed me. I mean we didn't feel all that willing to hang out on that ledge next to the "Naked Man". In the event I came across a nude hiker again, I don't think I would necessarily be offended, probably just a little uncomfortable. Fact is however, there are plenty of people out there that would be really offended so I think the truly responsible approach is to not hike nude at all.

I'm glad you are not blatantly hiking in the buff, but whenever you feel compelled to perhaps you should have something on hand to cover yourself in the event you stumble upon someone in the "uninhabited woods"? Maybe a tee shirt or towel to act as a temporary loincloth for example? ;)

A

Anonymous

naked bliss

The basic problem that I see is that we happy hippies (well, old, ex-hippies, by now) don't see anything wrong with letting the sunshine in and therefore wouldn't think we were acting illegally, even under New hampshire law, which seems, to this lawyer, to require an intention or at least reasonable expectation of causing undue alarm or fright.

BUT, your story of your wife's fright at seeing a naked hiker obviously changes that. I know that I'm a perfectly harmless goof who dislikes sweaty clothes and enjoys the feel of cool breezes on my (entire) body and THAT'S IT, but if someone else out there, who has as much a right as I do to enjoy the wilderness, has that enjoyment ruined, then it seems little enough to ask me to don, as you suggest, a loincloth.

As I noted in my earlier post, I never endulged in free hiking in the crowded east-I'll be doubky sure not to do so now. As for out west, I think I'll still bath naked (not in streams-I'm a 1970 NOLS grad) but I'll carry something for your protection and peace of mind. But really, if you're three days in from the road, isn't there room to cut the whackos of the world a little slack? I'm personlly far more upset by those damn ATVs than I am fellow nudists, but I figure even ATVers are enjoying the wilds in their own way.
happy trails to us all

Greg

Staff member
Happy Trails - Yes, I agree there are more important things in life than picking apart every aspect of what other people do. I'm not trying to do that. After all, I strongly believe that people should do whatever makes them happy, as long as they're not hurting anyone else. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable hiking nude, but I suppose if I try hard enough I could understand the appeal of hiking "free".

The problem is that non-nude hikers most likely won't know 'Mr. Naked Man' from Adam. They'll have no idea what his true intentions are, regardless of how harmless he may be. This goes back to riverc0il's comment of considering someone else's 'perception'. Again, at the bare (no pun intended) minimum, have some way of concealing yourself in case you happen across clothed hikers.

A

Anonymous

Hiking Nude

Just a few photos over the years of hiking nude sence 1965,so if don`t like nudity please don`t view!

[Link Removed by Greg]

Greg

Staff member
Sorry Naturalhiker. Your pictures have more to do with nudity than they do hiking in New England and I'm sure we all can picture what a naked man looks like. :blink:

A

Anonymous

Hiking nude

I've hiked for a lot of years. So far I've not hiked nude or meet anyone
else hiking nude. I have on a hot day stopped to rest at a over view
and removed some clothes to help cool off and dry out my clothes
some. But only if noone was around. Well, other than my wife. She
has never told me that it bothered her.

As for feeling treatened by nudity cause one doesn't know their
intentions. I don't remember the media reporting many cases of
people being attacked by nude people. I'm sure the statistics would
show more people are harmed by people with clothes on.

So the main issue is the large group of people that just don't want
to see a nude person in a public place (any where outside their home).
I personally have no desire to see a male nude hiker, but it wouldn't
bother.

that's now I see it.
dayhiker

A

Anonymous

nude hiking

Isn't unexpected nudity apt to scare people, just like a pervo flasher? And aren't scared people the most dangerous things one is most likely to run into anywhere?

If a nudist runs into someone with a child or two in tow, and perhaps a big protective doggie, you could run afoul of the dog and the law!

Before one hikes nude, recommend they see the movie "Deliverance."

But getting to the real point, people who incur unnecessary risk in things like hiking certainly should be free to do so, but if you get your keister in trouble made worse or caused by your taking that risk, you should expect to get a hefty bill for saving same!

A

Anonymous

Re: Hiking nude

I like to see women naked, and women might not mind to see other women naked either. So guys keep the pants on. Ladies, wild on the woods! :D

John said:
If you have never hike in a natural state in Nature you don`t know what you are missing!

What am I missing? Getting arrested? :blink:

Public Indecency is illegal in New Hampshire. I'm sure most other states have similar laws. This is probably the main reason you don't see many hikers prancing around naked. Grow up.

Greg

Staff member
Gonna lock this one before it gets out of hand. I believe all points have been made.

Status
Not open for further replies.