• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sleeping Bag

Altaskibum

Hey all, I bought a backpacking sleeping bag from LL Bean about 15 years ago, I used to winter camp with it on a regular basis. However I used it this last weekend and the temps were only in the low 30's and I got cold. I haven't used it in ages and I do recall storing it in a stuff sack for a while. Do sleeping bags loose thier warmth? And if so is there anyway to get it back? I really can't afford a new bag right now so any suggestions would be welcome.

cbcbd

What kind of insulation does it use: Synthetic or down?

Bags will lose their loft over time. Synthetics lose it quicker than down, especially if stored inside the stuff sack.
If a synthetic bag has been exposed to heat (like storing in a hot attic) while compressed, the fibers can fuse together and lose loft.

Washing is probably the only way of salvaging lost loft.
Wash the bag by hand or in a front loading machine on gentle cycle (use non-detergent soap, use down wash if down). Rinse it thoroughly. Put it in the drier in low heat with a few tennis balls.

If that doesn't help... I don't think there's anything else you could do.

Good luck!
-Doug

cbcbd

Hmm... what's the model and make of the bag?

Usually down bags will tend to lose some feathers through stitching and sometimes fabric - that's a tell-tale sign of down. Other than that sometimes you can feel if it's a synthetic or down bag depending on the type of synthetic used. Down is pretty compressable too, so that's another way of telling without having to cut the bag open :)

Altaskibum

There is no model listed anywhere on the bag but it is an LL bean. I think it is synthetic from what I can tell. I have never lost any stuffing out of it but it is wicked compressable too. So I don't know. I may just try to take it back to LL bean and exchange it if washing it doesn't work.

cbcbd

That's cool, you can still wash regular down with a non-detergent soap. I'd just try washing the bag and see how it comes out... or just get a brand new one from bean if they'll give it to ya :)

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
There is no model listed anywhere on the bag but it is an LL bean. I think it is synthetic from what I can tell. I have never lost any stuffing out of it but it is wicked compressable too. So I don't know. I may just try to take it back to LL bean and exchange it if washing it doesn't work.
LL Bean stands behind their stuff 100%. I'd bring it back and get a new one. No sense in wondering if your wash/dry tricks worked, and finding out the hard way that the bag is still junk.

Smitty

Altaskibum

Thanks, I think that is what I'll do, however I'll have to wait untill I am back up north later on this summer. I suppose that I won't need a real warm sleeping bag throught the summer in dallas anyway.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
LL Bean stands behind their stuff 100%. I'd bring it back and get a new one.
If the bag failed because of defect or poor design, that's one thing. But 15 years from a synthetic bag is beyond it's natural life. IMO, returning that bag for a replacement is an abuse of their excellent return policy. They'll exchange it, no questions asked, but it's still a poor idea.

Your best bet at this point is to wash it following the proper directions and store it properly. You can also look at getting a liner or overbag to extend the range of comfortable sleeping.

-dave-

cbcbd

I take my last comment back about getting a new one. I agree with Dave.
-Doug

Mike P.

My synthetic is 10+ years old & still retains warmth, it's not used all that much though.

Whatever you buy, they should sell cotton storage bags. They are thin & good sized so your bag can be stored without being cramped in a tiny stuff sack. Storing it in the stuff sack will shorten the life of any bag.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
It really depends on how you use, store, and clean it. If you use it heavily and it spends a lot of time compressed, you will see a loss of loft (insulating power) in just a few (3-4) years. If you use it infrequently, store it properly, and sleep in a liner so the bag doesn't absorb moisture and oils, it will last up to 10 or so years without losing much loft.

Down will generally last much longer, I know of folks with 20+ year old bags that are still going strong. I've got one bag hitting 20 years now.

But a proper wash and drying of the synthetic bag should restore some of the loft. It can be hard on the bag structure and you could cause rips/tears in the shell.

-dave-

Bergamo

bags

FWIW: I was at Moor and Mountain the other day , speaking to Burt about some old down bags I own. One is a North Face Slim-some-thing-or-another Mummy rated to 20. And the other is a Sierra Designs rated to -20. His first question was: How did you store them? I said I have used them off and on over the years and have kept them both in a very large cardboard box (one of those big boxes for some sort of kid's toy house, or something) and lofted-up. He said it was good they weren't crunched in a stuff sack and suggested I give them a wash. He sold me the down soap and gave me the instructions to follow. He said I should have good results bringing back the loft. These bags were bought in the mid 1970's. At this point in my life, I won't be buying new equipment unless it is necessary and it will be used.