• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hiking in the Spring

Euler

I see people here posting about hiking right now (springtime), but I'm sure I've heard/read/seen it recomended that hikers stay off the trails during "mud season". Now that skiings finished for me I'm eager to begin hiking, but I'm not sure how acceptable it is to be hiking in the wet conditions of springtime. What are some of your thoughts?

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
The Mud Season restriction is only in the Green Mountains in VT. Mud on the major trails of the Whites in NH isn't as much a problem, and there's no policy to request hikers stay off the trails.

Having said that, if you hike now in the Whites you will encounter mud. Don't go around it, hike right through it, embrace your inner child. It's important not to widen the mud pits, try to concentrate the impact to the spots already affected. Wear good boots, gaitors, and be careful where you step.

-dave-