• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bretton Woods is cutting more trails

Greg

Staff member
Heard this straight from the resort today. Here are the new stats:

101 trails (up from 89 so, 12 new ones) of which 60 Trails, 41 Glades
434 Acres (up from 411)
Breakdown of terrain by levels:
35% Beginner
40% Intermediate
25% Expert

RISkier

Greg,

Do you happen to know where the new trails will be located. Skied there late last spring and skied quit a bit off the new quad -- several trails there weren't yet open (e.g., Bode's run, anything to the skiers left as they got off the lift was also closed). I know they have long term plans to cut some terrain on Strickney (SP?) and was wondering if any of that will be cut and open this year?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Probably more trails of the flat kind.

This will probably lead them to increase the rates again :eek: and drive the locals out even more.

Greg

Staff member
My contact indicated:
most are off the newest high speed quad over on the Rosebrook Summit side.
some are scattered throughout other areas. some are new glades, some are
new trails.

ChileMass

thetrailboss said:

This will probably lead them to increase the rates again :eek: and drive the locals out even more.

Can the $80 weekend/holiday lift ticket be far behind? :roll:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, with this place, probably not. They are trying to be like Stratton, but wait, THEY AREN'T. :wink:

Are they still boasting 1500 vertical feet? Doesn't Cannon have over 600 more at less $$$?

Sorry I am still :angry: . They did a good job jacking up the price so that us locals could not ski there, and they really were not nice to Burke passholders in 2000-2001 when they suddenly revised their offer.

Greg

Staff member
ChileMass said:
thetrailboss said:

Can the $80 weekend/holiday lift ticket be far behind? :roll:
Ummm. I must be missing something here. BW's weekend/holiday lift ticket is $59 which is on par with the likes of Loon and Sunapee...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Must be they dropped their rates or I saw the wrong thing because I did see a number that began with a 6 for their weekend/holiday rate.

For the vertical, it is not worth that much. They are on par, pricewise, with Sugarbush, which is a hell of alot more mountain!

Greg

Staff member
It's not always the mountain's vertical though trailboss. BW has 4 high speeders which on an uncrowded day can provide a lot of skiing. Think of it in terms of the total vertical you can get in a day.

Also, let's be frank. BW caters to a different clientele than a mountain like Cannon.

ChileMass

Don't get me wrong - I don't begrudge the company its right to make money, and if skiers will pay the highest rates, then they are again welcome to it. But - it won't surprise me if BW's weekend/holiday lift ticket goes up to Stratton levels or beyond........ BW looks like a nice hill and certainly boasts impressive facilities, but I will save my pennies and go to Loon or Cannon or Sunapee.......

RISkier

We did a weekend at BW last spring when they were doing a 3-day all you can ski (including nights) lift ticket for $99. Year before I think we paid $52 on the weekend. It's more expensive than Cannon but it's not in the Stratton range yet. BW is not Cannon and doesn't try to be. I think it's very good for novices and low intermediates. There are green trails off almost every lift and while they aren't steep they have sustained pitch. There's lots of easy blues to progress too, and the groomed blacks are nice cruisers. I've heard a lot of positives about the glade skiing, but don't have first hand experience. No doubt the blues are easier than those at places like Cannon or Stowe -- I think the groomed blacks would be rated blue at Stowe or Cannon. OTH, the blues at BW don't strike me as having any less pitch than places like Gunstock, Sunapee, or Pats. We're second year skiers and have skied everything at Pats except Hurricane. I certainly don't find Pats or Gunstock, or Sunapee to be any more challenging than BW. That said, BW is clearly targeting a more upscale faimily oriented clientel -- their target market is much more like Stratton or Okemo than Cannon.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg said:
It's not always the mountain's vertical though trailboss. BW has 4 high speeders which on an uncrowded day can provide a lot of skiing. Think of it in terms of the total vertical you can get in a day.

Also, let's be frank. BW caters to a different clientele than a mountain like Cannon.

High speed quads also do not make or break a mountain either. Sugarbush has 5 as well, but their terrain is much better than BW's. Other mountains have great service and terrain, but no hs quads which usually bring larger crowds and higher ticket prices.

I think this would inspire an interesting AZ poll--what makes a great mountain? I'll get to that in a minute.

Like Chilemass said, BW caters to those who have the $$$ to spend it. I personally would go elsewhere because the terrain is blah.

Still a lot of money for 1500 vertical feet of relatively flat terrain and their glades that I have skied were nothing to write home about, but then again, I am comparing them to Burke and Jay, which is altogether different.

BW: Not my cup of tea. Maybe yours? If so, enjoy!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
regarding pricing at BW, other posters said it best when they noted that BW is catoring to a different market. check out the prices for a weekend for two in the mount washington hotel at the same resort! add in a ski package and some extras, and you quickly see that BW is targeting a crowd that plans to spend $800 minimum on an inclusive weekend getaway... and skiing is a side option, not the main course.

that's cool by me. the ski industry needs places like BW and stratton, etc. so that people who like that kinda thing stay outta my powdah stashes on other mountains :) ;) no offense intended to those that do like those types of mountains, my point is everyone has a preference and it's nice for the variety.

if you want to ski BW cheap, get the bold & beautiful pass that combines cannon and BW for (i think...) less than $300 for the season.