• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

'Loaf: 4/26/2007

sledhaulingmedic

After weeks of working too many hours (I'm a ho for the OT, what can I say?) and studying for a promotional exam, I finally gave myself a couple of days to myself. I did manage to pick at least one right.

Thursday morning I got blasted out of bed by the alarm at some ungodly hour. I made coffee, loaded the sledhauler-hauler and pointed her North. A cold night left thick fog over the creeks and swamps, but generally, It was blown off by traffic on I-95. Most of 2 hours later (and most of a quart of coffee), I'm getting off the turnpike at Exit 75, Auburn and roughly halfway there.

Still early, not much traffic on the road. Caught behind an occational logging or wood chip truck, it allowed me to savour the fine aroma of the paper mills as I headed North. Still the Temps are in the 30's so I know it's going to be quite a day for corn.

Just North of Kingfield, I cross paths with a local:

native.jpg

Once he decides to leave the road, I continue on. In no time, I'm staring up at one fine sight:

loaf.jpg

Once on the hill, everything was still solid. If it wasn't groomed, it was harsh. They had hid a fair number of cruisers, so Hayburner, the lower part of Sluice, Tote road, Timberline all got several runs. The Timberline Quad didn't open until 10:15 or so, but even then, it was still pretty firm. I took a break for an early lunch and then hit the backside. Very soft, very nice. I talked with several locals who said it had lost a lot of snow in the last few days, but there were still some good lines.

backside.jpg

As you can see, I was very dissapointed. Note the look that says: "I'd rather be at work right now." Right.

permagrin.jpg

Things went from corn to cream really quick. The glade skier's right of Hayburner was stayed corny for a while, so I took two. Once it really got soft, I stayed up top for laps on the Timberline chair and finally enjoyed binder all the way out.

A beer and a pretzl at the base lodge beach and I called it a day by 14:45.

Curiosity got the beast of me, so I headed North to Stratton and over to Rangeley to get a view of Saddleback. I'm sure there's turns to be earned:

saddleback.jpg

It was a gorgeous ride down 17 on a near perfect day. I just had a little trouble staying awake. Once at a friend's condo at Sunday River, a Sam Scotch ale (or 2, or 3 or...) and dinner, and I was out like a light.

This morning, a different story: Dark, dreary, not much open. SR was only running lift 1. Agony and Top Gun were well covered, but I was not in the mood for moguls in fog. A huge world of difference as far as what's covered. Good surfaces, lots of well marked bare spots (nearly none at the 'Loaf). Not a whole lot left in the legs after yesterday. By noon, I packed up and beat feet home.

Last edited:

kingslug

Why is it I never get to see a Moose. My favorite animal and no matter where I go, they prove elusive. Even drove 6 hours in Sweden to a place that advertised they had several Moose to see up close. When I got there...no Moose, they couldn't get a permit.

Terry

Looks like you had an awesome trip. I wish I could have gone. I guess that I have accepted that the season is over for me but I still don't like it! Oh well I will concentrate on getting well for next year!

dmc

Why is it I never get to see a Moose. My favorite animal and no matter where I go, they prove elusive. Even drove 6 hours in Sweden to a place that advertised they had several Moose to see up close. When I got there...no Moose, they couldn't get a permit.

Headed to Skelleftea Sweden next week for work .... They tell me I'll be eating moose..

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Nice report, Mr. Sledhauler! Have not been able to break away from work lately due to a busy schedule and lots of stuff going on. Wish I could have gotten out for some of that mid-week corn. This weekend is pretty much worthless as far as skiing is concerned.

Consider yourself lucky if you never see a moose while driving. You live around here long enough, it becomes the thing you want to see least on the road, especially at night time. I have encountered two while driving the Route 2 area between here and the Presidentials. One crossing the road at night on a curvy road in pea soup fog. Never a sight I want to see while driving.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Headed to Skelleftea Sweden next week for work .... They tell me I'll be eating moose..

That's pretty far north

http://www.google.com/maps?ll=64.77,20.95&z=7&q=Skelleftea, Sweden

Handy phrases phonetically:

Yah tuck: Yes Please, as when you are offered a blond maiden
Nay tuck: No thank you, as when you are offered a fifth shot of aquavit
Lilla sheet oong-eh: referring to a kid as a "little crap"
Sill is herring
Yavlah kult = damn cold
Haysun is a friendly hello
Good dog = good day
Eer doo inteh cluke? Are you crazy?

hth

bigbog

moose....hair doesn't reflect light hardly at all in the dark..

.....Consider yourself lucky if you never see a moose while driving. You live around here long enough, it becomes the thing you want to see least on the road, especially at night time. I have encountered two while driving the Route 2 area between here and the Presidentials. One crossing the road at night on a curvy road in pea soup fog. Never a sight I want to see while driving.
Even once it gets dark river, their hair hardly reflects any light at all....and once the temps are comfortable at dusk(May-Sept), they're out in number, can be very tough to spot in the evening, particularly after a bright sunset....