• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

[ News ] Ski area goes totally smoke-free

GadgetRick

Website
www.rickandedith.com
True...

Rick - as far as I can see, only one respondent (skican - God bless her) has indicated she smokes, so you can't really claim "both sides are up in arms" on this thread. It's been pretty one-sided.

True. I'm including all of the times I've heard this kind of argument. Whenever it comes up somewhere it seems everyone get's crazy. I don't like to get crazy--at least not over this!

Anyway, let's not worry about this anymore. It's now September 10th and it's almost time to ski!!! :)

jimme

Sorry Rick, but I have to shoot my mouth off. 8) How'd I miss this one? It's great that the ski area is exercising its rights. To me that is the important issue. I'm an ex-smoker, but not indignant about it. You want to smoke, fine with me but please keep it away. I have no problem with any business that makes its own decision to ban smoking, drinking or whatever. Sure it's annoying getting a whiff (or more) even outside and that is where I think self governance comes in. Smokers being polite and not lighting up on lifts or lift lines and such.

We seem to be losing individual rights these days- Helmet laws, seat belt laws, and now smoking laws. As bad as smoking is as long as it is legal there are tax dollars to be made. It's somewhat common knowledge that Pot is a controlled substance, but by whom? The governmet? No, most likely the Mob. It is not taxed and all the financial transactions are "underground" so who knows where the money truly goes. At the rate smoking bans are going I'd say tobacco will be outlawed within 50 years. If you think I'm crazy, just think what a person would have said in 1958 if you told them most states would ban smoking in public places by 2005. So to eventually outlaw tobacco products will simply put the control in the wrong hands.

By and large I think the population eventually governs itself. There may be some bad times in the process, but humans eventually get it and make the necessary changes.

I've noticed more than once at some of my daughters' soccer games, people going away from the crowd to light up and I appreciate that. (Many games are not on school property so the typical ban is not in effect at these fields.)

And for those of you who are very sensitive to smoke, you have every right to get PO'd when you get a whiff. I had a car saleman tell me he has customers who are so sensitive to smoke that he needs total assurance from people trading in and claiming they have a smoke-free car. Allergic reactions are no fun at all.

Smoke free by choice!

Jimme :)

ChileMass

Oh, you are all making a BIG deal out of nothing......all restaurants and clubs are smoke-free now so you don't have to worry about that anymore and if you happen to get a whiff of cigarette smoke outdoors I can't believe adults treat it as anything more than a momentary annoyance...........c'mon......... :roll:

FYI - I am on Day 9 with no smokes. If I can get to 3 weeks, I will have at least broken the daily habit.......

M

medmarkco

ChileMass said:
... If I can get to 3 weeks, I will have at least broken the daily habit.......

If???
Think of all that extra cash for new ski stuff. I know you're gonna make it! :D

ChileMass

medmarkco - Thank you for the support - I really mean it. 3 weeks is a LOOOOOOONNNGGG time to get to. It's the first major milepost if you can get through the first couple of days. It basically takes 3 weeks to ingrain almost any new behavioral pattern, and after that it becomes part of your routine (or not in this case). I should know - I have quit 1000 times, once for as long as 6.5 years before I stupidly went back to it......

M

medmarkco

We're all here for ya. One day at a time and keep your eye on the prize! :beer: