• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New York Yankees

JimG.

Staff member
Thanks, but, as you might have guessed, I have an issue with your last sentence....

I don't see why A-Rod would be the "bad guy" for negotiating for extra money. He has a right in his contract to opt out and become a free agent, which he earned and he'd be pretty crazy not to exercise. The Yanks could (and should) decide to extend him to prevent the opt out (thereby saving the $24-30 million (I can't remember how much) the Rangers are paying the Yankees the next 3 years for A-Rod to play in the Bronx).

Maybe we should blame the Cubs and Astros for giving hundreds of millions to Soriano and Carlos Lee, who are obviously not the caliber of player as A-Rod. They set the market, and I'm sure another club would gladly pay A-Rod what he's "worth".

It's not A-Rod's fault he's so good, and that teams are willing to pay him. You can't blame A-Rod for that. The market is what the market is. Why should A-Rod take less money just so that the team's owner can make some EXTRA profits?

(You'll remember, though, from a previous rant, that I'm not a fan of opt out clauses....)

My use of the term "hold up" created a negative that I should have gathered you might object to. That was not my point. He's going to opt out at the end of the season, the same time they have to think about re-signing Rivera and Posada; plus they'll have to consider Jeter too. I know you'll disagree to a point, but Jeter is the team captain and Mr Yankee and has 4 championships to his name. He will command the same pay A-rod gets.

I'm not so sure there are alot of teams out there "gladly" able to pay him what he thinks he is worth. I can only think of a few. But I've said before that the A-rod type player will eventually price himself out of a competitive market only to see owners tripping over themselves to throw money at them. Owners are idiots when it comes to their sports team toys.

So he probably will get $30 mil a year from the Yanks. And so will Jeter, and Posada and Rivera will clean up too.

And then you and I will have to hear about how unfair the Yankee's $300 million payroll is.

FRITOLAYGUY

My use of the term "hold up" created a negative that I should have gathered you might object to. That was not my point. He's going to opt out at the end of the season, the same time they have to think about re-signing Rivera and Posada; plus they'll have to consider Jeter too. I know you'll disagree to a point, but Jeter is the team captain and Mr Yankee and has 4 championships to his name. He will command the same pay A-rod gets.

I'm not so sure there are alot of teams out there "gladly" able to pay him what he thinks he is worth. I can only think of a few. But I've said before that the A-rod type player will eventually price himself out of a competitive market only to see owners tripping over themselves to throw money at them. Owners are idiots when it comes to their sports team toys.

So he probably will get $30 mil a year from the Yanks. And so will Jeter, and Posada and Rivera will clean up too.

And then you and I will have to hear about how unfair the Yankee's $300 million payroll is.

I wont give u shit about the payroll anymore Jim, id be willing to bed the redsox will hit 200 Mil before the yankees hit 300 Mil.. I heard some crazy rumor about the phillies giving arod all that money, he would hit a ton and i mean a ton of homers in that park.. So besides them, the yankees , i guess redsox and angels are the only other teams that could afford arod. If i were the yankees id have no problem letting him go and putting that money towards Santana next year. Granted if he stayed in a Yankee uniform, we might be talking about him in 5yrs breaking bonds all time home run record.. That means $$$

ComeBackMudPuddles

Well, I think every team every year has to make tough choices as to who to keep and who to let walk. Cashman did OK by only having Mo and Posada becoming significant free agents this year, with A-Rod's opt out being something he had no control over. I like that the team won't extend mid-season, because an agreement is an agreement and players should earn their next contract by fulfilling their prior contract. Of course, such policy might cost the Yankees more if players would have otherwise given a "discount" to extend mid-season, but the associated risk and natural loss of a little bit of motivation probably outweighs that cost.

Since you know I like talking about A-Rod and the Yanks, here a couple of additional thoughts.

One, Jeter's deal expires after the 2010 season, and he has no opt out. There's no reason for the Yankees to give him more money, and I can't see Jeter arguing for a raise just because A-Rod got one. Jeter already makes less money, and, anyway, he's making $20 million. In fact, the Yanks pay Jeter $4 million more this year than A-Rod ($20 million vs. $16 million).

Two, there's no way the Yankees will let A-Rod opt out and THEN re-sign him. Doing so would probably cause them to lose the $21 million the Rangers owe them (see below for the structure of A-Rod's current deal). So, in this one special case, extending him before he becomes a free agent makes extreme fiscal sense (assuming the team wants to keep him).

Note that the Yankees pay him "only" $16 million for 2007 (the Rangers are chipping in $7 million). A bargain for the Yanks, when you look at the market. So, if the Yankees do extend him, you could consider it as the Yankees paying him more at the tail end of the deal for the Rangers-funded "bargain" they're getting through 2010.

What's brutal is if you're a Texas fan, 'cause they effectively paid $147 million for 3 years of the game's best player....Ouch.

"Under the deal, the Yankees pay Rodriguez $15 million in each of the next three seasons [2003-2006], $16 million each in 2007 and 2008, $17 million in 2009 and $18 million in 2010, according to contract information obtained by the AP from player and management sources.

In each of the first four years, $1 million will be deferred without interest, to be paid in 2011.

The trade calls for Texas to pay $43 million of Rodriguez's salary over the remaining seven years: $3 million in 2004, $6 million each in 2005, 2006 and 2010, $7 million apiece in 2007 and 2009 and $8 million in 2008. In addition, the Rangers will pay the $24 million remaining in deferred money from the original contract, with the interest rate lowered from 3 percent to 1.75 percent.
"

- ESPN article from 02/17/04

JimG.

Staff member
Granted if he stayed in a Yankee uniform, we might be talking about him in 5yrs breaking bonds all time home run record.. That means $$$

In a sports world where the games are just a sideshow and the personalities dominate the news, both negative and positive, this statment is very true.

FRITOLAYGUY

Ya know if griffey Jr never got hurt and stayed in the AL as a DH he would have hit 800 homers no problem i believe. If Barry wants any respect he should retire after hitting 754, that would go a long way with everyone, but that will cost him money and everything else so we wont be seeing that happen.

JimG.

Staff member
Yanks were pretty scary this weekend pummeling Tampa Bay...worst thing the Devil Rays did was winning the first game (which Wang blew) and pissing the Yanks off.

FRITOLAYGUY

Hey the sox had their hot streak and this is the yankees hot streak, we all know teams dont play 700 ball year round, it will be interesting to see where they are when they meet at the end of august, if its within 5games those will be some fun games to watch

JimG.

Staff member
Hey the sox had their hot streak and this is the yankees hot streak, we all know teams dont play 700 ball year round, it will be interesting to see where they are when they meet at the end of august, if its within 5games those will be some fun games to watch

Another 9 runs scored and a win.

Sox beat Indians 1-0...thank you again, keep up the good work.

This is simply excellent and the Sox are hot at the exact right time. Give it another 2 games and the wild card will be within easy reach.

The key stretch of the season is in 3 weeks. The season will be determined then.

FRITOLAYGUY

Another 9 runs scored and a win.

Sox beat Indians 1-0...thank you again, keep up the good work.

This is simply excellent and the Sox are hot at the exact right time. Give it another 2 games and the wild card will be within easy reach.

The key stretch of the season is in 3 weeks. The season will be determined then.

WEll the sox have alot harder schedule than the yankees in my opinon, 6 games left with the Angels and their last 2 series against Oakland and Minn. The yanks dont really play anyone except Detroit at home for 3..

JimG.

Staff member
WEll the sox have alot harder schedule than the yankees in my opinon, 6 games left with the Angels and their last 2 series against Oakland and Minn. The yanks dont really play anyone except Detroit at home for 3..

Huh? Are you saying the Sox have a tougher overall sched than the Yanks? I don't think so. In fact, don't they play the same teams the same number of games each?

Maybe the Sox have a tougher REMAINING sched, but what's your point? Now the Yanks get to make hay with the lesser lights the Sox have been beating up on all season and now it's not fair?

And what scedule are you looking at? Between August 10 and August 30 the Yanks play Cleveland 3 times, Detroit 8 times, the Angels 3 times and Boston 3 times. Those are the 4 teams ahead of the Yankees. That's easy?

Time to start sweating for Sox fans I guess...the crazy talk is beginning.

FRITOLAYGUY

Huh? Are you saying the Sox have a tougher overall sched than the Yanks? I don't think so. In fact, don't they play the same teams the same number of games each?

Maybe the Sox have a tougher REMAINING sched, but what's your point? Now the Yanks get to make hay with the lesser lights the Sox have been beating up on all season and now it's not fair?

And what scedule are you looking at? Between August 10 and August 30 the Yanks play Cleveland 3 times, Detroit 8 times, the Angels 3 times and Boston 3 times. Those are the 4 teams ahead of the Yankees. That's easy?

Time to start sweating for Sox fans I guess...the crazy talk is beginning.

Im not sweating Jim, im not quite sure what i was looking at i guess it wasnt the yankees schedule lol. Well i dont know whos schedule overall is tougher, they do play the same teams for the most part and its not like college football with a schedule rating, although that would be cool to see. However the yanks have an easier Sept than the sox but its the reverse for August , the yankees have a hell of a stretch from AUg 17-30th, Detroit for 4, then the Angels for 3, then Detroit for 4 more then 3 with Boston, if its not obvious already that stretch will decide the division and wild card for them..

JimG.

Staff member
Im not sweating Jim, im not quite sure what i was looking at i guess it wasnt the yankees schedule lol. Well i dont know whos schedule overall is tougher, they do play the same teams for the most part and its not like college football with a schedule rating, although that would be cool to see. However the yanks have an easier Sept than the sox but its the reverse for August , the yankees have a hell of a stretch from AUg 17-30th, Detroit for 4, then the Angels for 3, then Detroit for 4 more then 3 with Boston, if its not obvious already that stretch will decide the division and wild card for them..

Heh...just stirring up trouble as usual. I agree that stretch in August will determine if the Yanks make noise later in the season or not.

FRITOLAYGUY

Heh...just stirring up trouble as usual. I agree that stretch in August will determine if the Yanks make noise later in the season or not.

Hmmm down to 6.5, maybe the only thing that stretch will provide us at this rate is whether the yankees will win the division or wild-card.. Im not ashamed to say it, im a tad more concerned than say last week.. I was ok until that got under 8 games, 6.5 with 61 to go makes me well uneasy as a redsox fan. I feel a sense of Deja-vu

JimG.

Staff member
It's August 2 and A-rod is reverting to form. 0-9 in last 2 games.

0-21 since his last hit which was HR #499.

They didn't need him until today...Fat boy couldn't get out of the 2nd inning; gave up 8 runs, 3 earned so there were some defensive lapses too.

I figure by the 8th when it's 11-2 or so he'll hit number 500, a solo shot.

tjf67

I will Keep fat boy and Arod.

We will se later in the year if we can even get to the playoffs.

Clemens up until this game has had aweful run support. He has never been good in the heat( weather I mean).

Arod. If we get to october I have a feeling he will put up a MVP performance. I hope we keep him

Yes network for sale. What does than mean?