• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New York Yankees

JimG.

Staff member
Just curious, who is actually healthy and pitching for the Yanks?

Clemens - What is he 56? Quite the franchise savior.
Pettitte - Way past his one or two decent "prime" years.
Rasner - Who?
Wang - Who?
Rivera - Once great, now? 16 games, 3 losses, 3 saves...
Mussina - Not in Baltimore anymore. 2-2, 5.64 ERA
Igawa - One stellar game, otherwise?

I'll take the Sox's hot-for-now pitching Vs. the Yanks' aging, ailing, untested piching any day. Maybe the yanks could afford to trade a big bat or two for some respectable pitching...

The Chinese "Who" went 7 strong innings last night and pretty much shut the Sox down.

SkiDog

not for nothing, but the Yanks are still in 2nd place in the east...not that thats saying much, but they are...and its EARLY...

Lots of baseball left......

M

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
As crappy as the Yankees are (and they are crappy!), I have to give them credit for getting to Okie and Paps...part of the reason they have been so successful is that they have people chasing lots of balls...but last night the Yanks left their bats on their shoulders and made them both work.

kickstand

August 1978...Yanks begin the month 14 1/2 games behind the Sox in the division and were essentially left for dead.

Who won the World Series that year?

Again, talk to me in August/September. And I'm not saying that because they've won 2 in a row.

you aren't comparing the 1978 Yankees to the 2007 Yankees, are you? I'm gonna go out on a big, big limb and say that the 1978 Yankees were immensely better than the 2007 version. Unless Steinbrenner wants to trade all the prospects he just picked up and take on another $50m in payroll, there is no way this team is catching anyone, whether it be for the division or the wild card.

JimG.

Staff member
you aren't comparing the 1978 Yankees to the 2007 Yankees, are you? I'm gonna go out on a big, big limb and say that the 1978 Yankees were immensely better than the 2007 version. Unless Steinbrenner wants to trade all the prospects he just picked up and take on another $50m in payroll, there is no way this team is catching anyone, whether it be for the division or the wild card.

No...just pointing out that there's alot of season left and April/May games, while they do add up when you're playing as poorly as the Yanks still are, don't make championship teams...that's for August/September.

The 1978 Yanks are an example of how things can change suddenly. Another is the 1969 Mets.

So, let's all hope you don't wind up eating your words about them not catching anyone. Because it has happened before.

SkiDog

So, let's all hope you don't wind up eating your words about them not catching anyone. Because it has happened before.

Sure has and sure still could.....some teams merely fall apart after the all star break so.....
BASEBALL IS A LOOOOONNNNNGGGG SEASON.

M

FRITOLAYGUY

Sure has and sure still could.....some teams merely fall apart after the all star break so.....
BASEBALL IS A LOOOOONNNNNGGGG SEASON.

M

Jim u know i never said anything like that its happened too often, and talk about teams falling apart after the allstar break, does anyone remember last year, after the redsox swept the mets going into the allstar game they were by far the best team in baseball and look how that turned out the rest of the year.

JimG.

Staff member
Just curious, who is actually healthy and pitching for the Yanks?

Clemens - What is he 56? Quite the franchise savior.
Pettitte - Way past his one or two decent "prime" years.
Rasner - Who?
Wang - Who?
Rivera - Once great, now? 16 games, 3 losses, 3 saves...
Mussina - Not in Baltimore anymore. 2-2, 5.64 ERA
Igawa - One stellar game, otherwise?

I'll take the Sox's hot-for-now pitching Vs. the Yanks' aging, ailing, untested piching any day. Maybe the yanks could afford to trade a big bat or two for some respectable pitching...

Last night, Pettite looked pretty good for a guy way past his 1 or 2 decent prime years. BTW, 1 or 2 decent prime years? Which Andy Pettite have you been watching all these years. The guy is a stud and always has been.

kickstand

Last night, Pettite looked pretty good for a guy way past his 1 or 2 decent prime years. BTW, 1 or 2 decent prime years? Which Andy Pettite have you been watching all these years. The guy is a stud and always has been.

1 start out of 10......

the guy has been a quality pitcher, but "a stud"? I think you need to look at his stats a little closer. He's had 3 seasons (out of 13) where you could legitimately say, "wow, what a great year from Pettitte." You could argue maybe 2 other seasons either way. Other than that, he's been average to slightly above average and the beneficiary of some solid run support.

Rushski

Pettitte is 3-3 and he certainly pitched well last night. Obviously he's a much better than average pitcher. But can a rotation really be led by him and a geriatric Clemens?

Their bats will always produce, but you have to admit they need to some talented "young" arms. Maybe they can get Randy Johnson back?

SkiDog

WOW 8 -3......Shilling got CLOBBERED!!!!!!!

Petite looked EXCELLENT...still think he's one of the best lefties in baseball...certainly the best move to first EVER.....I really wish though that mariano hadn't lost a step....I think he's done...he had a GREAT run.

By the way...last nights game was the start of the new beginning for the Yanks....its all wins from here.

See you at the Series!!!! :D

M

JimG.

Staff member
But can a rotation really be led by him and a geriatric Clemens?

Their bats will always produce, but you have to admit they need to some talented "young" arms. Maybe they can get Randy Johnson back?

You seem to forget about Wang when you say things like this...didn't he lead their staff last season? He was injured coming out of spring training, but his last few starts have been quality.

And do not discount Phillip Hughes...another quality young arm that will produce wins.

If anything, the Yanks bullpen is the area of real concern.

JimG.

Staff member
1 start out of 10......

the guy has been a quality pitcher, but "a stud"? I think you need to look at his stats a little closer. He's had 3 seasons (out of 13) where you could legitimately say, "wow, what a great year from Pettitte." You could argue maybe 2 other seasons either way. Other than that, he's been average to slightly above average and the beneficiary of some solid run support.

The stats I look at are not things like strikeouts or the speed of a fastball. Nolan Ryan was the best at those things and he was a .500 pitcher for the most part.

Pettite has always been the guy in the rotation who can be counted on to pitch a good game and stop a losing streak. And he is a MONEY playoff pitcher. And he has an excellent winning percentage.

The man is a STUD.

kickstand

Pettite has always been the guy in the rotation who can be counted on to pitch a good game and stop a losing streak. And he is a MONEY playoff pitcher. And he has an excellent winning percentage.

The man is a STUD.

it was either on the radio or during the game they gave Pettitte's record immediately following a Yankee loss, and it is pretty good. I can't remember what it is, but I do remember it being impressive.

Where I have to disagree is him being a money playoff pitcher. He had a great World Series in 2003, even though he lost Game 6, and a good ALCS in 2001, but that's about it. Looking at the generic stats everyone looks at, he's been very average - overall - as a playoff pitcher. I counted 4 games that the Yankees came back late to get him off the hook for the loss. That puts him at 14-9 lifetime in the playoffs. This alone is a good reason not to look just at wins and losses, for him or any other pitcher.

hey, the guy has been a quality pitcher for most of his career, I just don't think he deserves the pedestal you have him on.