• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New York Yankees

ComeBackMudPuddles

it was either on the radio or during the game they gave Pettitte's record immediately following a Yankee loss, and it is pretty good. I can't remember what it is, but I do remember it being impressive.

Where I have to disagree is him being a money playoff pitcher. He had a great World Series in 2003, even though he lost Game 6, and a good ALCS in 2001, but that's about it. Looking at the generic stats everyone looks at, he's been very average - overall - as a playoff pitcher. I counted 4 games that the Yankees came back late to get him off the hook for the loss. That puts him at 14-9 lifetime in the playoffs. This alone is a good reason not to look just at wins and losses, for him or any other pitcher.

hey, the guy has been a quality pitcher for most of his career, I just don't think he deserves the pedestal you have him on.

You're right, he shouldn't be on a pedestal. But, he's just one of those guys I think Yankees fans have a real attachment to and love for. Doesn't make the fans right, but who cares? Sometimes the numbers are "just" numbers.

However, I don't think he's just an "average" playoff pitcher. He's made 34 starts and pitched 212 innings in the playoffs (all time-records, btw), which is equivalent to a full season of pitching. So, his 14-9 record and 4.09 ERA look pretty good when you consider he did it in the playoffs and pitchers can often times beef up their stats against weak teams during the course of the regular season.

kickstand

You're right, he shouldn't be on a pedestal. But, he's just one of those guys I think Yankees fans have a real attachment to and love for. Doesn't make the fans right, but who cares? Sometimes the numbers are "just" numbers.

However, I don't think he's just an "average" playoff pitcher. He's made 34 starts and pitched 212 innings in the playoffs (all time-records, btw), which is equivalent to a full season of pitching. So, his 14-9 record and 4.09 ERA look pretty good when you consider he did it in the playoffs and pitchers can often times beef up their stats against weak teams during the course of the regular season.

Agreed about the fans taking a liking to him. He seems like a great guy and has come up big in a few games.

again, I counted 4 games that he got shelled but the offense came back after he got pulled to win the game. Granted, that only affects the W-L, but those were off-set by a few great performances. A few great ones and a few stinkers puts you somewhere in the middle. Isn't that what average is?

and those "all-time" records - let's not even try and pretend like ANY modern-day "all-time playoff record" even matters. These guys are doing it in a a day and age when you can play up to 19 games in the playoffs. Of course a team like the Yankees, who went to the WS 5 out of 6 years, will have a few guys who own records like that. These playoff records are a joke. World Series records hold much, much more water, IMHO. Post-season records should be broken up into eras.

JimG.

Staff member

You're right...Yankees fans do have a genuine attachment to Pettite. I was angry for a year when they didn't do whatever it took to keep him and he went off to Houston. Fact is he was disrespected by Steinbrenner who had tried to trade him the year before. Another reason why George is such an idiot. So I don't blame Pettite for leaving and I'm glad he's back.

And thanks for giving some more meaning to his playoff record; I'm not good with stats and stuff like that. I think Pettite is overlooked generally by alot of people. Not at all flashy, just workmanlike and reliable. And damned good.

Dwight Evans was a Boston player who was similar in this regard...damned good hitter, good in the clutch, one of the best right fielders I've ever seen, great throwing arm. Boston fans loved him. Never got the respect or attention he really deserved.

FRITOLAYGUY

I dont overlook Pettite, everyone is saying hes 3-3 but he could easily be 5-1 this year. Last night was a bigger game for the Yanks than the sox, the sox were playing with house money and even though schilling got beat, if i had a big game to pitch in the playoffs or perhaps to holt a 5game losing streak Pettite and Schilling are both very much big game pitchers that would have alot more confidence in getting the job done than say Wang and Beckett even with their records last year and this year.

FRITOLAYGUY

Well i have to bump this thread, the redsox had 2 chances over the past 2 weekends to put the yankees 15+ games back and the yankees won 4 out of 6. And give A-rod credit even with all the drama in his life he got a biggggg hit. So ill say this being a redsox fan, i feel this way about the yankees right now.. Its like your passenger side mirror says..
"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear"

kickstand

Its like your passenger side mirror says..
"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear"

um, yeah - the object in the rear view mirror that is closest is Toronto. How about you worry about catching Baltimore and Toronto before catching the Sox? The Yankees are closer to Tampa Bay than the Sox. Let's discuss when the Yankees are actually a threat.

2007 American League Standings (6/6/2007)
East W L PCT GB
Boston 37 20 .649 ---
Toronto 28 29 .491 9
Baltimore 27 32 .458 11
NY Yankees 25 31 .446 11 1/2
Tampa Bay 24 32 .429 12 1/2

JimG.

Staff member
Boston had a chance to regain a game on Monday when the Yanks fell apart again, but they lost. Somebody is hearing footsteps.

I know the Yanks won last night and Boston...lost again. Those footsteps are getting louder.

kickstand

Boston had a chance to regain a game on Monday when the Yanks fell apart again, but they lost. Somebody is hearing footsteps.

I know the Yanks won last night and Boston...lost again. Those footsteps are getting louder.

yeah - Baltimore....keep plugging away, guys - you're only one behind them in the loss column! :)

kickstand

cmon Kickstand we both know Baltimore and Toronto wont be around for much longer, let get serious here.

I am being serious - how do you know the Yankees will be there? You talk like there's never been precedent for them missing the playoffs. Besides, wouldn't it be fair and accurate to say they've gotten progressively worse since 2000?

Bottom line is there are 2 teams between the Sox and Yanks. When you're 4th, you can't get into first place without passing 3rd and 2nd.

JimG.

Staff member
I am being serious - how do you know the Yankees will be there? You talk like there's never been precedent for them missing the playoffs. Besides, wouldn't it be fair and accurate to say they've gotten progressively worse since 2000?

Bottom line is there are 2 teams between the Sox and Yanks. When you're 4th, you can't get into first place without passing 3rd and 2nd.

What you're saying is that you'll worry about them when you see them in the rearview mirror.

Which makes sense.

tjf67

Yank fans don't give a rats arse where anyone else is. At this point its one series at a time. we need to win series everything else will take care of itself. Got game two last night. Can't remember the last time we took game two in a series.

SkiDog

Tied for third.....hear the footsteps yet???? I think they're getting LOUDER.....

Dont count em out yet.....not by a long shot....

Enjoy your time at the top...it will be short lived.. ;-)

M

JimG.

Staff member
Tied for third.....hear the footsteps yet???? I think they're getting LOUDER.....

Dont count em out yet.....not by a long shot....

Enjoy your time at the top...it will be short lived.. ;-)

M

Schilling had the no hitter with 2 outs in the ninth. Next pitch was a clean hit. I thought he was going to completely fall apart and give up a homer to the next batter, but he got the pop up.

As much as I would have killed to see him lose after pitching such a gem, I have to admit Schilling is a detemined competitor. A real pro.

Boston better keep winning now...they've had their annual April/May winning feast and are starting June in fall apart mode.

SkiDog

Schilling had the no hitter with 2 outs in the ninth. Next pitch was a clean hit. I thought he was going to completely fall apart and give up a homer to the next batter, but he got the pop up.

As much as I would have killed to see him lose after pitching such a gem, I have to admit Schilling is a detemined competitor. A real pro.

Boston better keep winning now...they've had their annual April/May winning feast and are starting June in fall apart mode.

Agreed...

Saw that shilling thing (or heard darned utah)....actually felt bad for him....the stress of that must be amazing.....he is a competitor...thats for sure....

Problem is they need more than one competitor on the team HA... ;-) let the slide backwards start sooner than later for Baaaaassstan....

Again...enjoy it while it lasts bean town... :D

M

kickstand

Problem is they need more than one competitor on the team HA... ;-)

that's funny, considering NYY fields a bunch of softies like Mussina, Abreu and A-Rod.

BTW, here's your daily reminder:

2007 American League Standings
EAST W L PCT GB
Boston 38 21 .644 -
Toronto 28 31 .475 10
Baltimore 28 32 .467 10.5
NY Yankees 27 31 .466 10.5
Tampa Bay 26 32 .448 11.5

congrats - they're tied with Baltimore in games behind. Pretty soon they will have leap-frogged into the #3 position. Remember, you can't get to #1 without going thru 3 and 2. :)

JimG.

Staff member
that's funny, considering NYY fields a bunch of softies like Mussina, Abreu and A-Rod.

BTW, here's your daily reminder:

2007 American League Standings
EAST W L PCT GB
Boston 38 21 .644 -
Toronto 28 31 .475 10
Baltimore 28 32 .467 10.5
NY Yankees 27 31 .466 10.5
Tampa Bay 26 32 .448 11.5

congrats - they're tied with Baltimore in games behind. Pretty soon they will have leap-frogged into the #3 position. Remember, you can't get to #1 without going thru 3 and 2. :)

Actually, according to your data, the Yanks have one less loss than Baltimore, they are not tied. Technically, this means they are in 3rd place all by themselves. They're coming.

Toronto is next to fall and then the Yanks are in 2nd and in the rearview mirror.

Do you wish to concede the division now?

kickstand

Actually, according to your data, the Yanks have one less loss than Baltimore, they are not tied. Technically, this means they are in 3rd place all by themselves. They're coming.

Toronto is next to fall and then the Yanks are in 2nd and in the rearview mirror.

Do you wish to concede the division now?

actually, it would go to percentage points, which still puts the Yankees in 4th place

even though Toronto is only 1 win ahead of the Yankees in terms of record, I don't see why anyone is even discussing this while NYY has a losing record. Get up over .500 and this might be a worthwhile discussion. Otherwise, it comes off as Yankee fans desperately trying to convince themselves there still is hope.

:)