• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New York Yankees

JimG.

Staff member
Here ya go Jim

Yanks.
Tue, 6/19 at Rockies 9:05p MY9, MLB.TV Mussina (3-3) Fogg (2-5) Buy
Wed, 6/20 at Rockies 9:05p YES, MLB.TV Pettitte (4-4) Francis (6-5) Buy
Thu, 6/21 at Rockies 3:05p YES, MLB.TV Clemens (1-1) Lopez (3-0) Buy
Fri, 6/22 at Giants 10:15p YES, MLB.TV Igawa (2-1) Cain (2-7) Buy
Sat, 6/23 at Giants 3:55p FOX, MLB.TV Wang (7-4) Morris (7-4) Buy
Sun, 6/24 at Giants 4:05p YES, MLB.TV Buy
Tue, 6/26 at Orioles 7:05p YES, MLB.TV Buy
Wed, 6/27 at Orioles 7:05p YES, MLB.TV Buy
Thu, 6/28 at Orioles 7:05p YES, MLB.TV Buy
Fri, 6/29 Athletics 7:05p MY9, MLB.TV Buy
Sat, 6/30 Athletics 1:05p YES, MLB.TV Buy
Sun, 7/1 Athletics 1:05p YES, MLB.TV Buy
Mon, 7/2 Twins 7:05p YES, ESPN, MLB.TV Buy
Tue, 7/3 Twins 7:05p YES, MLB.TV Buy
Wed, 7/4 Twins 1:05p YES, MLB.TV Buy
Thu, 7/5 Twins 1:05p YES, MLB.TV Buy
Fri, 7/6 Angels 7:05p YES, MLB.TV Buy
Sat, 7/7 Angels 3:55p FOX, MLB.TV Buy
Sun, 7/8 Angels 1:05p YES, MLB.TV

Sox
Date Opponent Time Broadcast Probable Pitcher Opposing Pitcher Tickets
Mon, 6/18 at Braves 7:05p NESN, ESPN, MLB.TV Schilling (6-3) James (5-6) Buy
Tue, 6/19 at Braves 7:35p NESN, MLB.TV Beckett (9-1) Hudson (6-4) Buy
Wed, 6/20 at Braves 7:35p NESN, ESPN, MLB.TV Tavarez (4-4) Carlyle (1-1) Buy
Fri, 6/22 at Padres 10:05p NESN, MLB.TV Matsuzaka (8-5) Young (6-3) Buy
Sat, 6/23 at Padres 10:05p NESN, MLB.TV Maddux (6-3) Buy
Sun, 6/24 at Padres 4:05p NESN, MLB.TV Buy
Mon, 6/25 at Mariners 10:05p NESN, MLB.TV Buy
Tue, 6/26 at Mariners 10:05p NESN, MLB.TV Buy
Wed, 6/27 at Mariners 4:35p NESN, MLB.TV Buy
Fri, 6/29 Rangers 7:05p NESN, MLB.TV Buy
Sat, 6/30 Rangers 7:05p NESN, MLB.TV Buy
Sun, 7/1 Rangers 2:05p NESN, MLB.TV Buy
Mon, 7/2 Rangers 7:05p NESN, MLB.TV Buy
Tue, 7/3 Devil Rays 7:05p NESN, MLB.TV Buy
Wed, 7/4 Devil Rays 1:05p NESN, MLB.TV Buy
Thu, 7/5 Devil Rays 7:05p NESN, MLB.TV Buy
Fri, 7/6 at Tigers 7:05p NESN, MLB.TV Buy
Sat, 7/7 at Tigers 7:05p NESN, MLB.TV Buy
Sun, 7/8 at Tigers 1:05p NESN, MLB.TV

Thank you.

Honestly, everything after the Orioles worries me, especially the Angels...Yanks have to beat them this time around. And the A's always give the Yanks problems unless it's the playoffs. At least all these games are at the Stadium.

I don't think the Bosox sched is any tougher or easier. Good.

JimG.

Staff member
A-rod , ya know what he does that annoys the hell out of me, looks in the dugout before he throws the bat everytime he hits a homerun at home, was funny against the sox a few weeks back when he did that and the wind kept it in the yard for a 400 ft out. .Besides that how can you not like him.

Yeah, but you're a Red Sox fan and you have a reason to dislike him, even though the reason that deal was scuttled was as much because of the MLBPA as A-rod.

Nothing worse than being scorned by a prima donna.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Yeah, but you're a Red Sox fan and you have a reason to dislike him, even though the reason that deal was scuttled was as much because of the MLBPA as A-rod.

Nothing worse than being scorned by a prima donna.

You've got to be kidding me, JimG!! I'm not really mad at you, I'm just incredibly irritated by how many people think the same thing as you do....

A-Rod offered to take some money off of the table and the union wouldn't allow it. The Red Sox ownership then wouldn't chip in the extra extra few million to get the deal done. The same ownership that cried "poverty" then signed Dice-K to over a hundred million without him having ever thrown a pitch in the majors (he might still be good, but that was quite the Yankee-like gamble), the same ownership that gave JDL Drew 70 million and the same ownership that continues to throw tens of millions of dollars at SS with little to show for it.

The only people Red Sox fans should criticize regarding the botched A-Rod signing is their ownership, not A-Rod. The slap in 2004 was a little weak, but, come on, that was 2004! The Sox won.

Anyone that would shift positions to accomodate the clearly inferior player (no disrespect to Jeter, he's worse than A-Rod, but he's still good), and put up with NY media (and fans) to play for his dream team is no prima donna.

JimG.

Staff member
You've got to be kidding me, JimG!! I'm not really mad at you, I'm just incredibly irritated by how many people think the same thing as you do....

A-Rod offered to take some money off of the table and the union wouldn't allow it. The Red Sox ownership then wouldn't chip in the extra extra few million to get the deal done. The same ownership that cried "poverty" then signed Dice-K to over a hundred million without him having ever thrown a pitch in the majors (he might still be good, but that was quite the Yankee-like gamble), the same ownership that gave JDL Drew 70 million and the same ownership that continues to throw tens of millions of dollars at SS with little to show for it.

The only people Red Sox fans should criticize regarding the botched A-Rod signing is their ownership, not A-Rod. The slap in 2004 was a little weak, but, come on, that was 2004! The Sox won.

Anyone that would shift positions to accomodate the clearly inferior player (no disrespect to Jeter, he's worse than A-Rod, but he's still good), and put up with NY media (and fans) to play for his dream team is no prima donna.

We think differently.

I don't think A-rod is better than Jeter. Jeter is a winner, so far A-rod is not. He puts up big numbers, just like Barry Bonds who has also never won a championship. I like winners.

I believe I said that the MLBPA was partly responsible for the deal falling through. A player take less money? But don't paint A-rod as a victim either. I don't believe he ever marketed his services at a discount. He wanted out of Texas, but he never rebuked the MLBPA or have any comment on that deal as I recall. The fact he wound up with the Yankees proves he wanted someone to show him the money.

Look, his talent and numbers deserve top pay in a ridiculously inflated pay scale. I don't take away from him his talent and accomplishments. But like someone intelligently pointed out, his communication skills are somewhat lacking. He wants to be liked, but the things that come out of his mouth have little resonance with the common Joe who is a Yankee fan.

See, you say he has to "put up" with the fans. That's A-rod and it's why I call him a prima donna. Jeter doesn't have to put up with the fans and media, he works them to polish his image. A-rod wants NY to embrace and love him, but that's reserved for winners here. Jeter has earned the lifetime love with 4 rings. A-rod not yet.

FRITOLAYGUY

We think differently.

I don't think A-rod is better than Jeter. Jeter is a winner, so far A-rod is not. He puts up big numbers, just like Barry Bonds who has also never won a championship. I like winners.

I believe I said that the MLBPA was partly responsible for the deal falling through. A player take less money? But don't paint A-rod as a victim either. I don't believe he ever marketed his services at a discount. He wanted out of Texas, but he never rebuked the MLBPA or have any comment on that deal as I recall. The fact he wound up with the Yankees proves he wanted someone to show him the money.

Look, his talent and numbers deserve top pay in a ridiculously inflated pay scale. I don't take away from him his talent and accomplishments. But like someone intelligently pointed out, his communication skills are somewhat lacking. He wants to be liked, but the things that come out of his mouth have little resonance with the common Joe who is a Yankee fan.

See, you say he has to "put up" with the fans. That's A-rod and it's why I call him a prima donna. Jeter doesn't have to put up with the fans and media, he works them to polish his image. A-rod wants NY to embrace and love him, but that's reserved for winners here. Jeter has earned the lifetime love with 4 rings. A-rod not yet.

Jims right on this one, Jeter is a winner and can play for my team anyday. Just look at it like this, if its the 9inning of a playoff game and you have 2 outs and a guy on 3rd and need a hit, are you really telling me that you would want a-rod who will try so hard to win the game with a homer and probably strike out up? No thx ill take Jeter and a single to right field everytime.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Jims right on this one, Jeter is a winner and can play for my team anyday. Just look at it like this, if its the 9inning of a playoff game and you have 2 outs and a guy on 3rd and need a hit, are you really telling me that you would want a-rod who will try so hard to win the game with a homer and probably strike out up? No thx ill take Jeter and a single to right field everytime.

Fair enough. But, baseball is a 9 inning game. Over the course of the season, you're more likely to be be ahead in the 9th inning with A-Rod on your team then hoping to come back in the "clutch" with Jeter. There's only 1 at bat in the 9th, but several more throughout the game. Not to mention the number of runs A-Rod saves on defense compared to Jeter....

At any rate, a lot of what we're debating here is perception. Let's look at the facts. Below are some key stats I think one would look to for "clutch" hitting, when you have men on and 2 outs or men on 3rd and less than 2 outs (Yahoo doesn't publish stats for men on 3rd, 2 outs). What's surprising to me is how complementary the players are. Jeter gets on base more often, but A-Rod gets on base a lot and with a lot more power. A-Rod is more productive with his hits in terms of RBIs (partially a function of his place in the batting order), but Jeter definitely has fewer strikeouts. However, I just don't see how one can say DEFINITELY they'd want Jeter in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and Damon on 3rd.

AB H HR RBI BB K AVG OBP SLG OPS

Jeter:
Men on, 2 outs 40 20 2 19 8 3 .500 .592 .775 1.367
Man on 3rd, < 2 outs 9 5 0 9 3 0 .556 .615 .556 1.171

A-Rod:
Men on, 2 outs 61 23 13 40 6 10 .377 .457 1.049 1.506
Man on 3rd, < 2 outs 10 5 1 14 4 2 .500 .526 .900 1.426

I'm not a Jeter hater by any means. He's great. But, he's no simply not A-Rod. The whole "winner" argument is a joke, IMHO. More so than basketball or football, it takes a team to win in baseball, and just because he won some rings doesn't make him a "winner" and A-Rod a "loser." I also don't think he's a leader. A leader would have diffused this idiotic A-Rod/Jeter debate a long time ago. That's not saying that A-Rod is a leader, but he doesn't have to be. Jeter is supposed to be "The Captain (TM)". He stuck up for 'roid boy Giambi, but he doesn't for A-Rod? A sign of insecurity and weakness in my book.

ComeBackMudPuddles

AB H HR RBI BB K AVG OBP SLG OPS

Jeter:
Men on, 2 outs 40 20 2 19 8 3 .500 .592 .775 1.367
Man on 3rd, < 2 outs 9 5 0 9 3 0 .556 .615 .556 1.171

A-Rod:
Men on, 2 outs 61 23 13 40 6 10 .377 .457 1.049 1.506
Man on 3rd, < 2 outs 10 5 1 14 4 2 .500 .526 .900 1.426

Eeeek! Sorry about that. I spaced things out nicely before posting this, but the system crunched everything together.

If you really care to, you can check the data out at here.

JimG.

Staff member
Again, A-rod wins the sheer numbers game. But that in itself does not make him better than Jeter in my book.

The things that make Jeter better are things like diving into the stands to catch a foul ball and coming out with a bloody face, or cutting off a throw to the plate and then, in one smooth motion, backhanding the ball to Posada who applies the tag for the out. I've never seen A-rod do anything like that.

As for Jeter defending A-rod or welcoming him to NY with open arms, didn't A-rod tweak Jeter when he signed his big contract with Texas? Something about Jeter not being good enough to carry his jock? Again, A-rod opens mouth and inserts foot. But now he wants Jeter to embrace him? Did A-rod ever apologize or address the issue with Jeter like a man? Again, A-rod's worst enemy is A-rod.

tjf67

As of right now it is silly to compare A-rod to Jeter as to who is the better Yankee. There is no comparison. Jeter is MR YANKEE!!!!

Now if A-rod sticks around for the next 10 years he could possibly rise up to the level of Jeter.

As far as who is the better baseball player I thinks the stats will point to A-rod, that said stats dont tell the whole story.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Again, A-rod wins the sheer numbers game. But that in itself does not make him better than Jeter in my book.

The things that make Jeter better are things like diving into the stands to catch a foul ball and coming out with a bloody face, or cutting off a throw to the plate and then, in one smooth motion, backhanding the ball to Posada who applies the tag for the out. I've never seen A-rod do anything like that.

As for Jeter defending A-rod or welcoming him to NY with open arms, didn't A-rod tweak Jeter when he signed his big contract with Texas? Something about Jeter not being good enough to carry his jock? Again, A-rod opens mouth and inserts foot. But now he wants Jeter to embrace him? Did A-rod ever apologize or address the issue with Jeter like a man? Again, A-rod's worst enemy is A-rod.

I was at "the dive" game. It was awesome. A great memory and a great extra innings victory over the Red Sox.

Jeter has definitely cornered the market on signature plays. Of course, the two you mentioned happened in years (2001 and 2004) the Yankees didn't win the World Series....:wink:

JimG.

Staff member
Well, we've run the risk of boring Red Sox fans with our Yankee chat here, so let's get back to more important matters.

Sox gave back another 1/2 game last night, ugly loss to the Braves 9-4.

FRITOLAYGUY

Ya last night was ugly for the sox i watched that, besides a few solo hr's they couldnt get anyone on base. Back to that numbers thing again real quick with Arod and Jeter, i think Jim will agree with me on this one. Beckett has great numbers this year , and we saw schilling get beat up last night and not even have a strikeout, however if there was a game in the playoffs and the sox were down say 2-1 in a 5 game series , you would want schilling on the mound, hes a big game pitcher just as Jeter is a big game hitter.. The truly great ones rise to the occassion when it counts most, October, not when its June and they are just piling up numbers.

FRITOLAYGUY

Hey its just the truth. I always judge games back by loses because some teams have played a few more games than others usually during the season. By the way Jim, a girl i went to High School with, her best friend met and is dating Joe Torre's agent, maybe ill hook ya up with tickets if your nice to me for a sox, yanks game in late August.

JimG.

Staff member
Hey its just the truth. I always judge games back by loses because some teams have played a few more games than others usually during the season. By the way Jim, a girl i went to High School with, her best friend met and is dating Joe Torre's agent, maybe ill hook ya up with tickets if your nice to me for a sox, yanks game in late August.

OK.

Buddy.

Friend.

Nicest Sox fan I ever met.