• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New York Yankees

Mike P.

I still can't put Pettite in same class as Beckett, Halladay, Santana, Carmona & CC. I was not impressed with Santana's year. They have young arms & Lriano should be back. The other young pitchers I like is Kazmir & Bedard but they aren't going anywhere yet...

FRITOLAYGUY

I still can't put Pettite in same class as Beckett, Halladay, Santana, Carmona & CC. I was not impressed with Santana's year. They have young arms & Lriano should be back. The other young pitchers I like is Kazmir & Bedard but they aren't going anywhere yet...

Your right Pettite isnt in the same class as them, hes better than all of them, last time i checked Halladay, Santana, Carmona and CC never won a big game in their life, especially a playoff game, Beckett has more than once so this is excluding him but i would trust Andy over all those guys in a big spot, what have they ever done? 20Wins in the regular season, so what i want a guy i trust who wont fold under the pressure in a big spot, Andy and Beckett are the only ones on this list i do trust.

JimG.

Staff member
Your right Pettite isnt in the same class as them, hes better than all of them, last time i checked Halladay, Santana, Carmona and CC never won a big game in their life, especially a playoff game, Beckett has more than once so this is excluding him but i would trust Andy over all those guys in a big spot, what have they ever done? 20Wins in the regular season, so what i want a guy i trust who wont fold under the pressure in a big spot, Andy and Beckett are the only ones on this list i do trust.

Pettitte and Beckett have another thing in common...getting screwed out of Cy Young awards.

Sabathia?

FRITOLAYGUY

Pettitte and Beckett have another thing in common...getting screwed out of Cy Young awards.

Sabathia?

Ya even without the playoffs i still think Beckett was better than CC, and i thought that because of his teamate Carmona that they would kinda split up the votes and it would be easier for Beckett to win, guess i know nothing.

ComeBackMudPuddles

A-rod might be a great statical player but he's lousy in the clutch. IMO, that's what saving jd drew.

All that said. If I was a yanks fan, i would want them to distance away from A-rod. Sometimes I wonder if the years of overpaying for players is hurting the organization as a whole. Don't know if they have the budget left over to attract and keep the guys behind the scene. Basically the scouts for player evaluation for prospects and available free agents. In addition, the coaches needed for player development to keep the farm system healthy.

A-Rod not clutch? You've been eating too many beans and too much chowder, friend.

As per SI.com's review of his 2007 campaign, he hit .333, with 98 RBIs and a 1.138 OPS with runners in scoring position. He hit .357 in "close and late" situations. He hit .500 with a 1.286 slugging percentage in 14 plate appearances with the bases loaded. And he hit .362 in September, when the Yanks were still fighting to make the playoffs.

Yup. That's terrible!

FRITOLAYGUY

So after 2004 the Yankees decided to start making these shirts after the redsox won that say Got Rings?? and display all the years they won the world series and the yrs the redsox won them.. So im in the sports store today in the mall and now that the redsox have yet won again their new shirt says on the front DO THE MATH, and they have what looks like a multiplication example the Yankees 26, cardinals 10, etc, and it says even a chowderhead can figure this math out. Pretty pathetic that we have to dwell on the past that much from such a classy organization, maybe they should worry about the future more, just my opinion, so if the yankees still have 26 and the redsox say have 11 what will the shirts say then? 2nd place is the first loser? I dont get it, i understood it after 2004 but its not luck anymore folks not when you do it twice in 4yrs.

jack97

A-Rod not clutch? You've been eating too many beans and too much chowder, friend.

Clutch as in the post season. BTW, I hate beans.

I know he had a great september this past season and he's probally the reason the Yankees made it to the playoffs but his numbers usually drop off in the post season. IIRC he did better during the post season for this year but for the highest paid player, he has to deliver when it counts.

Mike P.

A-Rod improved this year & he was more clutch (in the regular season) than before. he still hit better than some team mates in the play-offs. In the end it was pitching that did them in.

How is it that Yankee Fans want to hang there hat on 26 Championships. Meanwhile, Red Sox Fans who in most cases are Celtics fans aren't going around talking about having the most NBA Championships. They are focused on getting #17.

Then there is the local football team too but thats already a different thread....

FRITOLAYGUY

A-Rod improved this year & he was more clutch (in the regular season) than before. he still hit better than some team mates in the play-offs. In the end it was pitching that did them in.

How is it that Yankee Fans want to hang there hat on 26 Championships. Meanwhile, Red Sox Fans who in most cases are Celtics fans aren't going around talking about having the most NBA Championships. They are focused on getting #17.

Then there is the local football team too but thats already a different thread....

Well im a Boston fan of all teams i think the biggest reason i dont go talking about 16titles is because they were over 20yrs ago now, wow thats hard to believe. I do agree though that fans of other teams seem to hold onto the past and what they accomplished more so than the future, and i dont mean Yankee fans, the problem with them is they got spoiled too much too soon , they used to be like Pats fans saying ohhh we won it 3 of the last 4yrs, now that they have been removed from winning for a long stretch its just now all about the whole past even before all the people who are posting it were even born.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Clutch as in the post season. BTW, I hate beans.

I know he had a great september this past season and he's probally the reason the Yankees made it to the playoffs but his numbers usually drop off in the post season. IIRC he did better during the post season for this year but for the highest paid player, he has to deliver when it counts.

True. In the end, though, I'm happy that A-Rod is a Yankee. He will succeed in the playoffs. There's just no way a player can be so good during the regular season does not come through. It's the law of averages. He will have his day, and I will be a happy man when that day comes.

(My previous posts of displeasure when he opted out were more a reaction to thinking he was rejecting me, a Yankees fan first, but also a huge fan of his.)

ComeBackMudPuddles

So after 2004 the Yankees decided to start making these shirts after the redsox won that say Got Rings?? and display all the years they won the world series and the yrs the redsox won them.. So im in the sports store today in the mall and now that the redsox have yet won again their new shirt says on the front DO THE MATH, and they have what looks like a multiplication example the Yankees 26, cardinals 10, etc, and it says even a chowderhead can figure this math out. Pretty pathetic that we have to dwell on the past that much from such a classy organization, maybe they should worry about the future more, just my opinion, so if the yankees still have 26 and the redsox say have 11 what will the shirts say then? 2nd place is the first loser? I dont get it, i understood it after 2004 but its not luck anymore folks not when you do it twice in 4yrs.

Well, "Got rings?" is a tad more creative (and politically correct) than "Yankees suck!"

What's interesting to me about the two championships in four years is that in between the teams were pretty average, at best. I'm not sure if there's a sense of continuity/dynasty yet, but, win another one in '08 or '09, and I'll cry uncle.

FRITOLAYGUY

Well, "Got rings?" is a tad more creative (and politically correct) than "Yankees suck!"

What's interesting to me about the two championships in four years is that in between the teams were pretty average, at best. I'm not sure if there's a sense of continuity/dynasty yet, but, win another one in '08 or '09, and I'll cry uncle.

Well i understand its all marketing, and i wouldnt call the redsox a dynasty even if they won one more in the next 2yrs.