• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mohonk Preserve, NY 06/23/07

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Date(s) Hiked: 6/23/2007

Trails(s) Hiked: Overcliff Rd., Old Minnewaska, Lakeshore rd., unknown,

Total Distance: approx. 10 miles RT

Difficulty: Easy to moderate. The moderate section was all huge rocks and tight squeezes

Conditions: Trails were in great conditions, great weather

Trip Report: I've never hiked in this area my friends have and talked us into going, glad we did. The hiking itself wasn't too difficult, the most challenging and interesting climb was a area known as the “Lemon Squeeze”. You climb to the top of the mountain over all huge stones, then you get to the “Squeeze” this is a series of ladders that go up into the rock, where you find some extremely tight areas, there are parts that a hiker and the smallest of backpack will not get through at the same time.

Once you get through the “Squeeze” you find yourself on some nice flat rocks where you can rest and take in some beautiful views. After that it’s a short climb to the summit where you find the Smiley memorial which is a tower about 3 stories high. You can climb up the tower and see more great views.

After this it’s a climb down to the Mohonk Mountain Hotel, real nice place, and the gardens that surround it. We stayed here for a bit and rested on the rocking chairs on the deck.

After this we started working our way back to the car. Going back we took Undercliff Rd, which took as along some beautiful cliff that are known nationwide for rock climbing. Here we saw a lot of rock climbers that were both practicing and climbing up a 90 degree wall, if I was only 30 year younger and 60 pounds lighter! :)

Overall it was a great day, bountiful weather, great company, and great scenery and view. Nice that you can find an area as beautiful as this is only about 60 miles from Manhattan. Here's some pics, for more pics go to: http://killingtonaccessrd.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=84

normal_Hiking_II_018.jpg
normal_Hiking_II_028.jpg

normal_P6230112.JPG
normal_P6230118.JPG

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
There is world class rock climbing to be done in the Gunks.

Not to mention it's just a beautiful area.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

amf

Nice report... one of my favorite places to hike, climb, OR ski. I learned the telemark turn (back when it was still just a turn, not a lifestyle) on a long, sloping field above the Mohonk House where some new indoor sports building now stands.

Surprised you were able to sit on the porch... they are usually pretty good at keeping riff-raff out! I hiked there one time with my daughter, who was about 20 at the time, & approached the front desk with the line that we were interested in having a wedding there. Did we get the royal treatment!

amf

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Surprised you were able to sit on the porch... they are usually pretty good at keeping riff-raff out!

amf

Hey, hey, I resemble that remark! We didn't realize that if was only for guests at first and just sat down. Afterwards we noticed the sign that stated it was just for guest. At that point we just figured we'd stay until we decide to leave or get asked to leave :lol:

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
The Monhonk Mountain House is another one of those "grand holels" that has managed to survive. I have never been there but my uncle vacationed there every summer and from the pics I have seen it's looks pretty amazing.

Thanks for the report/pics.....looks like a fun area. Course....from AZ's "most dedicated skier" I expect nothing less. :wink:

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Nice report and I'll have to second (or seventh at this point) that the entire area is pretty super. Minnewaska State Park (Which is basically across the street from Mohonk) is beautiful and has some very nice, extremely scenic easy to moderate mtn biking. Awesome views from the top of the Gunks.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Nice report and I'll have to second (or seventh at this point) that the entire area is pretty super. Minnewaska State Park (Which is basically across the street from Mohonk) is beautiful and has some very nice, extremely scenic easy to moderate mtn biking. Awesome views from the top of the Gunks.

Yeah, we hiked Minnewaska State Park last weekend, did 12 miles. May wind up biking that this weekend. Really do like the area and it helps that it's so close to the NYC metro area.