• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Jefferson: Shorter doesn’t mean easier

lloydsjourney

Mount Jefferson: Shorter doesn’t mean easier

http://begin.lloydsjourney.com

Mount Jefferson is the third highest peak in New England and offers great 360 degree views. Mount Washington sits just a two mile ridge walk from the summit of Jefferson. In planning my hikes I read and read to try and discover the best route to the summits. It also helps me hike the hike in my mind before I go as I visualize what is described. The information gathered on for hiking Mount Jefferson was one that offered me two versions of the hike in my mind. Reading the stats of the trail: highest elevation start at 3009 feet, shortest distance to high peak at 2.5 miles, and only 2700 feet of elevation gain, and promises of views 40% of the trip!! Wow, a dream of a scenic and beautiful hike was unfolding in my mind as that is a great height to start and 2.5 miles or 5 miles round trip is a cruise in the park. While 2700 feet elevation gain isn’t anything to laugh at it is something I know I can do as I have already done it on different mountains. So with all this information how can the hike be anything but spectacular and easy? Well, other information and a little reading between the lines offer a different view of Mount Jefferson for me to digest. Those same numbers tell another story as well to those who have hiked the mountains before. The fact that it is only 2.5 with 2700 feet of elevation gain tells you that this is steep and not as easy as it sounds all by itself. That is quite the gain for such a short distance and while other mountains offer more gain it is over a longer distance. I think you would be really hard pressed to find a mountain that averages over 100 feet of gain per tenth of a mile!! This tells you that almost every step is upward or that when you get a slight break in the climb or relatively flat area that you will be making it up at some point and how do you make that up? In a steeper section!! So don’t be fooled by the numbers as this hike tells you I am going to challenge you if you look inside those very numbers. I also found trip reports that described the steep sections that the numbers hinted towards and they added a sense of worry for me. I am not a small man and I have no interest in pulling myself up or using technical climbing skills to summit at this point in my hiking career. So I needed to find more information or my anxiety would run off and make this trip doomed before the start for me. I kept looking for more and more information and found a few pictures that showed the steep terrain. These images helped a little as I saw people in most sections and it looked manageable. So I decided this hike was something to try and I also knew a group would be hiking it from Meetup.com which I wanted to try to hook up with to see how my anxiety would do in that situation. So off I headed towards the White Mountains.

On the trip to the White Mountains my anxiety decided to start early and my stomach became grumbly and soon a little upset. I battled but did not turn the Explorer around but persevered and kept going on. This was something I would need later in the trip as well. Perseverance is not something that you can overrate as sticking with something is the way to beat it and defeat it. I have a tattoo that says “he who endures conquerors” which has helped me keep moving forward sometimes when I would rather turn back. The road passed beneath me leaving home further and further behind and the playground of the Whites closer and closer. Usually a sense of excitement comes with each mile I role closer to the Whites but today it was different as the images of the steep sections played in my mind over and over with thoughts of falling or steeper sections. I would again be alone as I was too late to hook up with the hikers from Meetup.com. My anxiety soon provided me with an overwhelming sense of doom on the horizon that I was traveling straight towards with each revolution of the Explorer’s wheels. I thought I was going to die today and I was the one behind the wheel bringing myself there too. I had to fight the anxiety as an attack was looming. I focused on the fun I had here in the Whites and the fact that I researched this trip. I kept driving and soon was at a stop as there was an accident ahead of me. I wondered if that had been meant for me or if it was actually just a sign that was telling me when your time comes then it comes with little input on your part. As I rolled by the scene I saw a crumpled car and a dead moose. I felt sad. I knew then though that I would continue to the mountain and try to enjoy what was ahead of me and above me. A challenge with a reward of terrific views.

I reached the parking lot on Jefferson Notch Road and caught a glimpse of the hike ahead of me. It looked like a challenge but I would truly not know the challenge until I hiked to those parts of the trip. I could wonder and dream all I wanted but reality awaited me up ahead on the trail. No more wondering left as I headed on the trail. It started fair enough but I knew inside that easy here means harder there. I breezed through the first mile or so in about a half hour and then when the views came so did the steeper sections. I have learned from these mountains that nothing comes without a price and you have to decide if you are willing to pay it when you face it. If you do then you are rewarded with something incredible that is not easy to describe for me. It is more than views that you get when you reach the summits. It is something deep inside of you that you don’t always know is there that comes to life at these times. It feels satisfied, satiety exists within, a certain sense of peace, accomplishment, self pride, and “Rocky” summiting the stairs type spirit bursts from my very being. I am something more than I was when I started the journey.

The Caps awaited me and I slowly scrambled up them and they were very steep. They demanded respect and attention without a doubt but they were also something that did not bring out fear in me or get anxiety grumbling within me. My demons seemed to be left below me. I headed up and up towards the summit. I passed many people coming down and I could see it in their eyes and in their steps……. I wanted it too. I was tired and took my breaks as needed on the ascent. It was honestly easy to take breaks here as the views was astonishing and enjoyable just to gaze outward. On most other hikes I would be sitting in the woods with the bugs and my anxiety building. This was not that at all and was so much more enjoyable despite the challenge of the hike.

I was close to the summit and a man popped up from behind rocks at the summit. I recognized his face from images at Meetup.com and I yelled his name. The summit and the pleasures of meeting someone who shared a passion for the mountains was part of my reward today. The views were breathtaking and the conversation was enlightening.

The trip down I hiked a little with the trio I met at the top and then decided to burn down the rest to make the trip home quicker. I cruised down but so did my energy. I am not sure if it was a crashing from lack of proper nutrition or just the fact that the journey was ending but I felt tired and felt ready to pass out as I neared the end. I made it to my Explorer and laid in the back for awhile before heading home. I felt great inside and felt like a more complete human because of the hike.

Mount Jefferson offers you a short distance to great views but do not be fooled in the challenge that awaits you on the trail. The journey will challenge your physical being and becomes mind over matter as it gets steeper. Desire, courage are certainly part of it but the total cleansing of your soul is what drives you. All your troubles, all your worries, all your fears, and all your demons flow out of you. The sweat pours out and you replace it with clean refreshing water and clean breaths of air!!!

Mike P.

I would say if there is an easy way up Jefferson it might be Jewell, Gulfside & Jefferson Loop.

Other Presidentials are close to 1000 feet per miles, some with sections much steeper, any headwall trip. Other peaks like South Twin have sections that steep. (S. Twin 1175 in .8 of a mile.)

MtnMagic

It was a pleasant surprise seeing you walking to the summit. After reading your trip report I know you had the time of your life. Happy trails!