• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pico Will Not Operate 7 Days A Week

Zand

Press Release:

PICO MOUNTAIN ANNOUNCES 2007-08 SEASON PASS PRICES, OPERATIONAL SCHEDULE
Wednesday, July 11, 2007

KILLINGTON, Vt. – Pico Mountain announces 2007-08 season pass prices and products for skiers and riders to enjoy unlimited access and kick off the resort’s 70th season as one of the New England’s classic family ski areas.

The Pico Mountain season pass is available for $399 for Adults (19-64 years old), $329 for Young Adults (13-18) and Seniors (65-69), and $299 for Juniors (6-12) and Super Seniors (70+); and $29 for Kids 5 and under. All prices are valid through October 9 and are subject to Vermont State sales tax.

“A Pico Mountain season pass provides an outstanding value for those planning on skiing or riding for more than 10 days this season and who desire unlimited direct-to-lift access to a big mountain with small mountain charm,” said Dave Rathbun of Killington sales and marketing.

For the 2007-08 season, Pico Mountain will operate Thursday through Monday, with the exception of Dec. 24-28; Dec. 31 – Jan. 4; and Feb. 18-22, 2008, when the resort will operate seven days a week. Pass holders may present their Pico Mountain pass at Killington on Tuesdays and Wednesdays to receive 50-percent off window ticket rates, with the exception of Dec. 25-26; Jan. 1-2; and Feb. 19-20. Operating hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekends and holidays. Pico Mountain is scheduled to operate for the 2007-08 season Saturday, Dec. 15 through Sunday, March 30, weather and conditions permitting.

“Pico Mountain has a unique ambiance and heritage rooted in ski racing, family recreation and the birth of skiing in North America,” Rathbun added. “It was a tough decision to reduce the operating days, but one that needed to be made to set Pico up for future success.”

As one of the first ski resorts in Vermont, Pico Mountain opened on Thanksgiving Day, 1937 with a 1,200-foot rope tow and a base hut at Little Pico. Today, a Pico Mountain season pass provides access to more than 200 acres of classic New England terrain served by six lifts, including two express quad chairs. More than 70 percent of the terrain is also covered by snowmaking and groomed by a fleet of state-of-the-art snow cats.

This summer $3 million is being invested to improve the on-mountain experience between Killington Resort and Pico Mountain, including snowmaking pipe replacement, additional low-energy snowmaking equipment, base lodge upgrades and many behind the scenes maintenance projects. At Pico Mountain specifically, major snowmaking infrastructure is being replaced which will increase operational efficiency, especially on the upper sections of the mountain. These improvements are in addition to the many that took place at the resort last season, including a fresh look throughout the base area with numerous improvement projects, restroom remodeling; a fresh look for lifts and lift terminals; and a new deck off the base lodge.

To purchase a Pico Mountain Season Pass or for more information, visit www.picomountain.com.

snoseek

does this company have any positive news?

dec. 15-mar 30 5 days a week for 399? i view this a bad news.

SkiDog

This is HORRIBLE..........POWDR/SPLand will be the SURE demise of a GREAT mountain........

BRING BACK ASC..

M

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I wouldn't go that far...it's just Powdr/SP has more to lose than ASC, so they have to look at the bottom line.
The bottom line is what this is all about. I believe once Powdr get the finances under control and they can turn a profit, GOOD changes will SLOWLY happen. I think these tough decisions are good for K in the long run...Its a BIG picture thing. ASC could never turn it around, they had there chance. I say wait 5 years before we really can judge Powdr on what they have done.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
The bottom line is what this is all about. I believe once Powdr get the finances under control and they can turn a profit, GOOD changes will SLOWLY happen. I think these tough decisions are good for K in the long run...Its a BIG picture thing. ASC could never turn it around, they had there chance. I say wait 5 years before we really can judge Powdr on what they have done.

And the tooth fairy will visit you on the day of the turn around :) . Sorry Dave, not buying it. Not certain, but I will probably be at K one more year and I do have to consider the possibility of buying the Pico pass because of the price. But I do have one concern, they already stated that the season at Killington will be shorter, what's that mean for Pico? When can we expect their season to end?

ALLSKIING

Staff member
And the tooth fairy will visit you on the day of the turn around :) . Sorry Dave, not buying it. Not certain, but I will probably be at K one more year and I do have to consider the possibility of buying the Pico pass because of the price. But I do have one concern, they already stated that the season at Killington will be shorter, what's that mean for Pico? When can we expect their season to end?
See you back at K in 5 years..:razz: Seriously though Powdr is not making any friends this offseason but you've got to give them a bit of time.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
What is the origin of this story? The only place I see it is here and on KZone. I went on Pico's site as well as Killington's and see no mention of Pico only pass pricing.

madskier6

What is the origin of this story? The only place I see it is here and on KZone. I went on Pico's site as well as Killington's and see no mention of Pico only pass pricing.

The press release is dated tomorrow, July 11. Not sure how the original posters got a copy of it today but that could at least explain why it's not on the official websites. Also, the press release says Pico's season will end March 30.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
The press release is dated tomorrow, July 11. Not sure how the original posters got a copy of it today but that could at least explain why it's not on the official websites. Also, the press release says Pico's season will end March 30.

March 30th I could live with, still want to see this in print somewhere other then on these two sites.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
*cough* Brodie *cough* Haystack *cough*
*cough* 2k verts *cough* 2 HSQs *cough*

;)

I think this is a bad move. Even if most people only ski weekends and it is a decent deal, I think pontential pass holders will read this as bad news. Pico has long been under the shadow of Killington. It seems Powdr is indeed treating Pico like ASC treated Haystack in that they can not sell to the competition such a fine nearby mountain but they also can not afford to sink money into it and operate a full expense. Yet another brilliant financial decision by the new ownership but this may be tightening up the purse strings a bit too much, especially for nearby property owners. One must wonder when Killington and Powdr are going to release some news that skiers will be generally happy about as they seem to piss off more and more of their former customers every week. I applauded some previous decisions but one must wonder just how much fat you can cut off and still be viable. Especially with this upcoming season being such an open market place due to increased pass prices at the big names and decreasing value from some of the major players. Though for a weekend only skier this is a good deal for what Pico is.

snowman

The only reason they would have for being open tues, wed would be to facilitate an extensive school trip skiing program, which they obviously do not have, or can more than facilitate over at K. Sitting there spinning a lift, lighting a lodge and running deep fat fryers for 3 skiers is financially irresponsible. In this new "green era" it is ecologically irresponsible as well. I'm surprised they didn't spin it that way. My local area closed mon-tues for a couple years and then went to mon-tues daytime hours only to facilitate more schools wanting to come and housewives who like to ski during the week. I had no problem with either as I knew it was/is helping the area still be in business the following year. When was the last time any of you skiied Pico on one of the Tuesday and Wednesdays they will be closed? Exactly. Stop your bitching!