First to open in the East?

AlpineZone

View Poll Results: Which Eastern ski area do you think will open first for the 04/05 ski season?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Belleayre (NY)

0 0%
  • Bretton Woods (NH)

2 11.11%
  • Hunter (NY)

0 0%
  • Killington (VT)

10 55.56%
  • Sunday River (ME)

0 0%
  • Tenney (NH)

0 0%
  • Woodbury (CT)

3 16.67%
  • Other (please post below)

3 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First to open in the East?

Just a fun poll here. As an FYI, last season Belleayre (NY), Woodbury (CT) and two Quebec ski areas beat out Killington (VT) by opening on 11/9

I ski double black diamonds.

Though they have been a bit slow as of late, I think that there is much pressure now for K-Mart to open early since they really pushed the season pass sales this year.

Thanks for posting those dates, Greg. I did not realize how late things got started last season. I remember that in November 2002 we had some incredibly good skiing at Jay and Sugarbush (!) In fact, November and December overall were better than February/March 2003, which usually is high season
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss
    Though they have been a bit slow as of late, I think that there is much pressure now for K-Mart to open early since they really pushed the season pass sales this year.
    I agree. I think they're going to make every effort to open first to further promote and validate the All For One. However, due to their top-to-bottom policy before officially opening, it really will depend on the weather. If we have a cool Fall, I would expect K-Mart to open first. If we don't get enough sustained cold for Killington to blow on Snowden, expect Woodbury to blast enough to open after their first full night in the twenties. I think Bretton Woods has a shot for early November this year though, and Belleayre will certainly be an early season player again this year.

Has anyone skied Woodbury when it opens early? Is it any good? I've never been there at all, but it is awfully close to pass up some early turns
    Brian

I voted for Woodbury. Never skied there

We should start another poll for who will make the first snow.

I remember one year Sugarbush beat out Killington and they took some photos of a few locals skiing on less than an inch of snow.

I suppose I should qualify the question. The key part is "open first for the 04/05 ski season". Based on that, who will open to the public first and remain open for the season?

It's almost always the Big K, right? The challenge is, can someone get open by Nov 1 and stay open......

I was at Killington on the 3rd day of the season a million years ago and turned a decent pair of skis into rock skis in about 3 runs. It was fun (I was 19), but the conditions were miserable as I recall. They only had the old summit triple lift line open from the midstation to the top, but after the last run we got to ride the chair back down to the base, which was cool.......

We used to ski killington in October when they ran like a real skiers mountain....this November stuff...enough to make you break a leg!

Last year I skiied Okemo on the 11/15, i thought that was pretty early. So I'm gonna go with Okemo.
    Powder. It\'s a drug. And like any other potentially addictive substance, it sucks up time, money and inclination, all of which eventually drain through a hole in your psyche. Seasons are squandered in its pursuit, lives are lost in its fury. It\'s a silken seductress, to which having once fallen prey to those wiles, you will always return, but whose continuous promise of tumultuous crescendo is never quite realized - there can never, ever, be enough powder. Given that, there can never, ever, be enough said about an inanimate substance with the power to mold disciples and the cosmic ability to both transform and transfix. It\'s a dimension. Powder.

Mont Saint Saveur, thats my bid...

Thread Information