• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First to open in the East?

Which Eastern ski area do you think will open first for the 04/05 ski season?

• Belleayre (NY)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bretton Woods (NH)

• Hunter (NY)

• Killington (VT)

• Sunday River (ME)

• Tenney (NH)

• Woodbury (CT)

• Other (please post below)

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
Just a fun poll here. As an FYI, last season Belleayre (NY), Woodbury (CT) and two Quebec ski areas beat out Killington (VT) by opening on 11/9

thetrailboss

Staff member
Though they have been a bit slow as of late, I think that there is much pressure now for K-Mart to open early since they really pushed the season pass sales this year.

Thanks for posting those dates, Greg. I did not realize how late things got started last season. I remember that in November 2002 we had some incredibly good skiing at Jay and Sugarbush (!) In fact, November and December overall were better than February/March 2003, which usually is high season :eek:

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
Though they have been a bit slow as of late, I think that there is much pressure now for K-Mart to open early since they really pushed the season pass sales this year.
I agree. I think they're going to make every effort to open first to further promote and validate the All For One. However, due to their top-to-bottom policy before officially opening, it really will depend on the weather. If we have a cool Fall, I would expect K-Mart to open first. If we don't get enough sustained cold for Killington to blow on Snowden, expect Woodbury to blast enough to open after their first full night in the twenties. I think Bretton Woods has a shot for early November this year though, and Belleayre will certainly be an early season player again this year.

bvibert

Staff member
Has anyone skied Woodbury when it opens early? Is it any good? I've never been there at all, but it is awfully close to pass up some early turns :)

Joshua B

I voted for Woodbury. Never skied there

We should start another poll for who will make the first snow.

I remember one year Sugarbush beat out Killington and they took some photos of a few locals skiing on less than an inch of snow.

Greg

Staff member
I suppose I should qualify the question. The key part is "open first for the 04/05 ski season". Based on that, who will open to the public first and remain open for the season?

ChileMass

It's almost always the Big K, right? The challenge is, can someone get open by Nov 1 and stay open......

I was at Killington on the 3rd day of the season a million years ago and turned a decent pair of skis into rock skis in about 3 runs. It was fun (I was 19), but the conditions were miserable as I recall. They only had the old summit triple lift line open from the midstation to the top, but after the last run we got to ride the chair back down to the base, which was cool.......

Charlie Schuessler

We used to ski killington in October when they ran like a real skiers mountain....this November stuff...enough to make you break a leg! :wink:

Greg

Staff member
Charlie Schuessler said:
this November stuff...enough to make you break a leg! :wink:
No kidding...

T

trailbiscuit

I voted for K-Mart, but the real answer is "The Resort that Wants to Waste the Most Money."

loafer89

I skied at Woodbury last year on their opening day of November 9th. The terrain that is opened is the Lower Main Highway trail reviced by a rope tow
(yes a rope tow) and the vertical is about 100-150 ft. The trail is opened with snowboarding jumps and rails, so skiing there is kind of like a snowboarding obstacle course. It was a good way to get the snow withdrawal bugs out of my system, and it is close to home for me + Killington was not yet opened.