• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

alpine zone ski team at Pats

roark

Monday's are not best for me. I can swing it but I prefer the flexibility the other nights of the week allow.
Since the captain hasn't responded :dunce: I will.

We've done Mondays the last couple years so I think we're pretty set on them. How many beer bellies in Spyder suits do you want to see anyways ;)
I feel you: I drive about an hour from work (about 1:20 home), tree_skier has a ridiculous drive (basically to Mount Sneaux) - and getting home late on Monday can make for a long week.

From a strategical standpoint the combo of tree_skier (generally in the top 3 in raw time, and he's an old fart so the handicap makes for a 6+ pt avg), ga2ski (rips, + the tele handicap = mad points) and skibum9995 (young, so no handicap love but won his class in the nationals @ Steamboat last year) against the generally weaker Monday night crowd should - no will - guarantee us a trip to the finals. With your racing background I expect you'd do quite well to say the least. I'd say we'd be pretty close to the AZ "Dream Team" if you were to join us. I'd love to say I'd be tacking on points, and while I have gotten better, Bob always gave me too much credit.

I will also say it's way more fun than I ever thought it would be. There's something great about getting out on the slopes when your mind says you wouldn't normally be there - like you're stealing an extra day on the slopes each week. Pat's might not be the most intimidating hill but it's a class, family run operation. They did a great job blowing snow on Hurricane last year (as well as the rest of the hill) which makes for good pre and post race bump runs. We generally do a few mach speed laps on cyclone and either FIS or Twister to warm up (don't be decieved, upper FIS is seriously steep) and the addition of lights on Vortex should make things interesting. If you can get out of work early you can ski from 3 or 4 pm (I forget, pretty hard for me to get there that early usually) on.

Bob was the apres king but I'll do my best to uphold the tradition. :beer: There's a pretty lively scene at the pub post. They usually have somebody taping the runs and show it there so you can see how you did (and the crashes always get a good response). A couple pints are always a good way to end the night. Plus beer/ski shwag giveaways.

I just read over this and it sounds like I'm a salesman or something but it just spewed out. In summary:great time, imho you'd enjoy it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Serious salesman indeed :lol: When I said Monday's are not best, it is because of a practical scheduling issue at work, not personal preference. Actually, from a skier's perspective, Monday is probably the best day of the week because the fewest mid-week deals are offered Mondays. My only concern is I may need to stay late at work on Mondays and wouldn't be able to make it down for one or two races. This is almost certainly going to be the case during mid-January.

Also, from a practical point of view as far as skiing goes, I am a weekend warrior so my legs are usually shot by Monday and I wouldn't be able to offer my best effort. I am less concerned with being competitive and going to a finals thingy which I ain't flying out to anyways than getting the most out of the experience, which definitely isn't going to happen on a Monday. But I ain't trying to change any one's mind... just saying why Mondays are not best.... you know, since you brought it up :p

Oh, and don't hype my racing background too much. I was middle of the pack in the lesser of the college divisions in New England and am sorely out of racing shape. All the soft snow I have gotten used to is going to make skiing hard pack scraped down rutted out race courses a serious step towards conditions I have grown to disdain and avoid. Essentially, I ain't even close to being the hard pack chewer I once was.

Any ways, still waiting to hear what the cost would be. I am seriously interested.

roark

I was just referring to the Pats finals, probably easier to qualify for Nastar somewhere else!

IIRC cost was around $110 or so (unless you name is Dave ;))- and that was usually due to only having 6 committed (the extra share went towards tshirts the first year, I forget what the cost was last year). You'll probably spend more on gas. And I'll certainly spend more on beer. :beer:

Don't sweat missing a week or two, that's why we try to have 7 on the team (best 5 scores count). I plan on missing a couple days in Feb/March - hopefully not the finals like last year :( )

hammer

I still wish I could join...even though my main contribution would be to bring the per person cost down a few $$ (and perhaps to provide some good fodder for the videos). In my case my wife has a class on Monday nights, so unless that changes in January I couldn't make it.

I'll keep watching for the cost info...just in case my situation changes.

skibum9995

Cost looks like $650 per team so for a team of 7 its $93 per person. That will get you nine weeks of skiing from 3 till close and add an extra week for the finals. Works out to be a bit more than $9 each night, definitely worth it, plus its a bunch of fun. Most of us missed week or two last year, it happens, not a big deal.

ga2ski

Sorry guys I have been busy recently. Skibum is correct on the pricing and Roark did a great job selling it. Although I echo all his comments.

RC - from what i have read , you would be finein the course. I ski all weekend as well and my legs can be junk come monday. Once you step in the gate the adriliene hits and you are all set. If the drive is a concern, Gunstock could be closer for you and I have friends that have raced there and enjoy it.

Hammer - let's hope your schedule changes. You would do fine in the course. Racing is fun and it really improves your skiing. roark can attest to this.

Well if all else fails and we can not find 7 people from here I have two co-workers that are wiating in the wings to race. Hope you guys are okay with a snowboarders (more handicap points).

roark

Racing is fun and it really improves your skiing. roark can attest to this.
Absolutely agree. I ski with a much more precision now - the whole idea of hitting an exact spot, setting yourself up for the next turn helped out not just regular freeskiing but also my bump skiing quite a bit as well. And there's nothing like hanging out with a bunch of skiers who kick your butt every time to make you improve.
Alright, sign me up, I'm in.
Excellent.

ga2ski

So we now have 5 racers. Tree_Skier, Roark, Skibum9995, Riverc0il, and myelf. I would like to sign up by the end of the month. If anyone else is on the fence about joining please let me know by Sunday 10/28. Otherwise I'll let up some of my friends, unless some of the you guys have friends that want to race.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
So we now have 5 racers. Tree_Skier, Roark, Skibum9995, Riverc0il, and myelf. I would like to sign up by the end of the month. If anyone else is on the fence about joining please let me know by Sunday 10/28. Otherwise I'll let up some of my friends, unless some of the you guys have friends that want to race.
Definitely hook up some friends to get to seven people as I don't want to pay more than $100. I won't be free skiing other than warm ups, this is strictly race and brews and hang out with folks and not about the skiing, so I want to keep costs to a minimum.

roark

Wow, we got a lot younger. Tree_skier will be our only member in the old-fart portion of the handicap chart!

Of course his raw times will still probably beat all of us anyway.