• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

#1 Destination for 2007-08?

madskier6

My #1 destinations this year will be Gore and Whiteface. I've never been to either place and have heard very good things about both.

Of course, I will also be hitting the usual suspects, including BEast (season pass), Magic, Sugabrush, MRG, Burke & other assorted VT mountains when the price is right.

I would also like to get back to Sugarloaf and check out Sunday River this year. We shall see on those 2 mountains.

RISkier

I agree with you. My concern was the effect of the altitude on a 6-7 month old. My friends fiance is a pediatrician so we have that covered.

I was eyeballing Summit County (ABasin in particular) and Steamboat. I would ask for suggestions but I know there are numerous threads.

I'd follow the pediatrician's advice regarding taking the baby to altitude. Most adults won't have much trouble if they're sleeping under 8,000 feet, but Summit County base elevations are 9,000 plus. I might look for someplace lower. There are lots of options with base elevations well below 6,000 feet that would be much less likely to cause any problems.

nelsapbm

I've noticed that not too many folks are heading out west....I'm assuming $$$ being the reason. If not, then why? (just curious). Greg or someone else, feel free to start another thread as to not take this thread off topic.

Grassi21

I'd follow the pediatrician's advice regarding taking the baby to altitude. Most adults won't have much trouble if they're sleeping under 8,000 feet, but Summit County base elevations are 9,000 plus. I might look for someplace lower. There are lots of options with base elevations well below 6,000 feet that would be much less likely to cause any problems.

I agree with you. That is why the before mentioned trip to VT is more likely. CO will have to wait.

campgottagopee

Every tues and sunday at Greek Peak---about 5 days at Gore---5-6 days at Whiteface----and this year 1 week at Salt Lake

Grassi21

Every tues and sunday at Greek Peak---about 5 days at Gore---5-6 days at Whiteface----and this year 1 week at Salt Lake

The wife and I are Ithaca grads. What town are you located in? I never tried Greek Peak because I wasn't into skiing during my college years. Down the line I would like to visit Ithaca in the winter and get a day in at Greek. What might ski areas would you compare Greek Peak to?

campgottagopee

The wife and I are Ithaca grads. What town are you located in? I never tried Greek Peak because I wasn't into skiing during my college years. Down the line I would like to visit Ithaca in the winter and get a day in at Greek. What might ski areas would you compare Greek Peak to?

I live right in Virgil N.Y. which is where Greek Peak is located, and about 5 miles outside of Cortland, hime of the Red Dragons. Which, by the way, won the CORTICA JUG game this year!!!!
Greek, like all the rest of CNY ski hills, is very small only having 900 vert. They have something like 20ish runs, 5 chairs, but do blow alot of snow. Typically they are open sometime around Thanksgiving and try to stay open until April 1. Albeit this year I think we skied until the 15th.
Drop my a line if you make it this year and my wife and I will give you the "local" tour free of charge.

loafer89

I am going out west with my son in February and we plan to stay in the Sandpoint, Idaho area and ski at Schweitzer, Silver Mountain, Big Mountain and Mount Spokane. The lodging and day ticket prices for most of the skiing is very reasonable and we get to ski three new states.

skibum9995

I'll be at Cannon primarily with a bunch of days at Burke. I plan to get out west at some point, not sure where or when yet.

Zand

Stowe St. Patricks weekend.
MRV the weekend after for AZ meet.

Otherwise, lots of Wachusett and Berkshire East for me.

Grassi21

I live right in Virgil N.Y. which is where Greek Peak is located, and about 5 miles outside of Cortland, hime of the Red Dragons. Which, by the way, won the CORTICA JUG game this year!!!!
Greek, like all the rest of CNY ski hills, is very small only having 900 vert. They have something like 20ish runs, 5 chairs, but do blow alot of snow. Typically they are open sometime around Thanksgiving and try to stay open until April 1. Albeit this year I think we skied until the 15th.
Drop my a line if you make it this year and my wife and I will give you the "local" tour free of charge.

That would be sweet. I'll keep you posted if it works out. CORTICA games are sick. I don't remember all of the ones I attended. ;-)

MarkC

For me it is Plattekill whenever they are open. The occasional midweek day at Belleayre, Hunter, or Windham. Hopefully a trip or 10 to Bobcat if it dumps and the family that owns it works out their differences and gets the place open. I am probably going to go to Ski Santa Fe some time in February and hopefully summit county some time in late April.

wa-loaf

I am going out west with my son in February and we plan to stay in the Sandpoint, Idaho area and ski at Schweitzer, Silver Mountain, Big Mountain and Mount Spokane. The lodging and day ticket prices for most of the skiing is very reasonable and we get to ski three new states.

That's really cool. Hopefully when my kids are older I'll have the time and money to travel around with them as much as you do with your son.

campgottagopee

That would be sweet. I'll keep you posted if it works out. CORTICA games are sick. I don't remember all of the ones I attended. ;-)

Yup, those games are quite the party for sure, and actually pretty darn good football. Guess S.I. didn't call it the "biggest little game in America" for nothing.
If you do head over in the winter sometime be sure and let me know. That would be a great time.

powhunter

Got one decent trip (semi planned) to alta in march...K-town probably once or twice a week....and the wed night sundown bump and beer clinics...

steve

Dr Skimeister

Just today I received notice about a seminar at Copper Mountain in January. I've attended this the last few years-always nice to take a ski trip out west as a business expense. I'm hoping to spend more time at Mt. Snow this year than the last few years, assuming that the new ownership will do better running it and tending to the snow than ASC did. Day trips to Plattekill, Jiminey or Beleayre. Overnights to Gore, Pico, Whiteface.

arik

for me it will be Mount Snow mostly every weekend, Berkshire East on holidays, and maybe a trip to Jay peak and Montreal (not to ski) in march. I am dreaming about going to Colorado to ski at Loveland and A basin in April or early may and then to go to Chile next September. I love dreaming about skiing in summer.

Grassi21

Upon further review (with the wife) CO might have to wait till next season.

So the trip to the MRV is looking like our #1 destination. But we also got the invite to Tremblant last night from my brother-in-law's girlfriend. Free lodging! :) :beer: