• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sox get Gagne

2knees

for Kason Gabbard. Unless Gagne refuses to waive the no-trade clause but he'd be an idiot not to. 2 months as a setup man with a chance at a ring and then sign a contract next year somewhere else and close again.

drjeff

Between what the Sox are doing, the draft picks the Pats are signing and the whole Kevin Garnett deal for the C's, there sure is alot of ink being used for new big $$ contracts in Beantown these last few days!

FRITOLAYGUY

IT is indeed a good time to be a Boston sports fan, im not up to par on the Bruins so i dont know how good they are but the chances are pretty good the other 3 will all be in the playoffs this year!

drjeff

IT is indeed a good time to be a Boston sports fan, im not up to par on the Bruins so i dont know how good they are but the chances are pretty good the other 3 will all be in the playoffs this year!

With respect to the B's as long as notoriusly cheap skate(no pun intended) owner, Jeremy Jacobs is at the helm, don't expect too many block buster, impact making, instant fan drawing signings anytime soon.

2knees

So you guys liked the Garnett deal? Not sure how trading all your young talent and 2 1st round picks is gonna help. They have 3 great players and absolutely nobody else.

I love the Gagne thing but i wouldve liked to see a right handed bat added also. I guess Chicago wanted too much for Dye.

jack97

So you guys liked the Garnett deal? Not sure how trading all your young talent and 2 1st round picks is gonna help. They have 3 great players and absolutely nobody else.

I love the Gagne thing but i wouldve liked to see a right handed bat added also. I guess Chicago wanted too much for Dye.

I like both deals, to use the old cliche, " the future is now". This is so true in major league sports where gms, coaches and player are put in the spotlight.

The Cs have alot of young players but they needed time to develop and build a team around them, I remember it took 3-5 years to get a team around Bird when he came out of college. Having said that, jefferson was a high school kid, probably need more time for him to develop and it's no guarantee that he will be a bona fide superstar.

Even if Cagne turns out to be a rental for the year, its still worth it. A strong bullpen is a must to win consective series in the playoff and the sox have a good chance of winning it all this year. IMO, Foulk had great outings and he was clutch during the playoffs during 04, bascially without the strong bullpen, the yankees would have won the championship that year.

Rushski

Garnett will sell some tickets as part of that threesome. Yes in a couple of years Minnesota will have the better end of it, but then again the yopung guys won't have any veteran presence.

Gagne is a good deal, as long as Papelbon realizes he has to work harder. Hate to see the young, talented Gabbard go though...

And the Pats of course, Rule.

2knees

I like both deals, to use the old cliche, " the future is now". This is so true in major league sports where gms, coaches and player are put in the spotlight.

The Cs have alot of young players but they needed time to develop and build a team around them, I remember it took 3-5 years to get a team around Bird when he came out of college. Having said that, jefferson was a high school kid, probably need more time for him to develop and it's no guarantee that he will be a bona fide superstar.

Even if Cagne turns out to be a rental for the year, its still worth it. A strong bullpen is a must to win consective series in the playoff and the sox have a good chance of winning it all this year. IMO, Foulk had great outings and he was clutch during the playoffs during 04, bascially without the strong bullpen, the yankees would have won the championship that year.

As far as the C's, i must admit pro hoops is not something i follow that closely. My problem with the deal is that you have just cut short any building plan they may have started. And for what? Peirce and Allen dont play defense. You have no center, no point guard, no bench. Defense wins in the nba, not 3 guys who want to score 25+ pts a night. oh well, time will tell.

jack97

As far as the C's, i must admit pro hoops is not something i follow that closely. My problem with the deal is that you have just cut short any building plan they may have started. And for what? Peirce and Allen dont play defense. You have no center, no point guard, no bench. Defense wins in the nba, not 3 guys who want to score 25+ pts a night. oh well, time will tell.

Definitley agree, defense is key. Thats why I like the deal, KG is a bona fide superstar because he can score 20+ and play defense. The questions are wheter these guys have peaked and can Peirce step up on defense knowing he doesn't have to carry the load anymore.

Last edited:

FRITOLAYGUY

As a fan i like the KG deal, i dont feel like waiting 2-3more yrs for a sniff at the playoffs while players like Jefferson developed. I also dont want them to turn into the phoenix suns with all this offense and thats about it. The Celts being decent and in the playoffs will only help the NBA and the sad state it is in right now with ratings and gambling.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Garnett deal makes perfect sense. Between he, Pierce and Allen you've got a bonafide chance at the title in the next 3 years.

With Jefferson et al, it's a maybe depending on how they develop.

I want to win now and Garnett along with Pierce and Allen gives us the best chance to do so that we've seen since 1987 and that's a fact.

FRITOLAYGUY

The Garnett deal makes perfect sense. Between he, Pierce and Allen you've got a bonafide chance at the title in the next 3 years.

With Jefferson et al, it's a maybe depending on how they develop.

I want to win now and Garnett along with Pierce and Allen gives us the best chance to do so that we've seen since 1987 and that's a fact.

Hey i agree with ya, im already planning on going to a few games, december 2nd against Lebron in particular..