• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jerry

2knees

we miss you.

I want to thank you
for a real good time

2knees

hard to say i guess. I kinda stopped paying attention to everything once Jerry passed. I still listen to my bootlegs and love the music but i dont have much to add to anything. Most of my shows are a blurry mess. I never remember song lists. I just liked the music and the vibe. Highgate in 94 (i think it was '94) was my last show. Went to one show in '99 or so with Bob and Phil at the Hartford Civic Center but it just wasnt the same.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I felt the same way for a few years after he passed. I then ran into a band called Big Chicken. They were not a GD covers band though they played a few tunes. They were a cool mix of jammy and bluegrass music. As I got to know them, I realized the profound influence of Jerry on the whole arrangement.

The band disbanded for a bunch of reasons but remained friends. Some went off to form High Range. Some of the others get together each year and we have a party in the fall. They bill out as Hoof. See this vid from our 2004 party:

Also, don't give up on Bobby. His band Ratdog gets better each year. It's not as loud as The GD was but keep in mind that he will be sixty in two months. The vibe is right. Another show to catch is Hot Buttered Rum String Band. There are lots of local bands where you can feel the influence. Here's another band which is local to southern NH, Truffle They're far from being a GD covers band but good for the soul anyhow.

Once in a while

you get shown the light
in the strangest of places
if you look at it right

Lately, I've been catching this cool, gritty bluegrass band Hot Day At The Zoo

Surely, nothing's gonna bring Jerry back. His good work is evident in so many musicians. Keep the faith. 8)
Get out of the door - light out and look all around

Last edited:

dmc

I like Phil and his bands - I'f I'm looking for something musically close to the GD...

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
He's gone but he's everywhere. It's more about vibe than anything else as far as I'm concerned. I miss him too and have been chasing that dragon too. But then I'm not 19 anymore either ;-). I've really found more joy in the small bands-there's a lot of talent within reach. Maybe it's because Jerry had a very personal way of playing, even on the big stage. It's kinda like the way I enjoy college hockey better than pro hockey.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I like Phil and his bands - I'f I'm looking for something musically close to the GD...

I kind of agree. Seems like Bobby keeps his bandmembers on a real tight leash, doesn't let them explore, whereas Phil always seems to be more willing to go out there and see what happens, more like the boys did back in the day. For me the only down side of a Phil show is you have to listen to him sing.

dmc

I kind of agree. Seems like Bobby keeps his bandmembers on a real tight leash, doesn't let them explore, whereas Phil always seems to be more willing to go out there and see what happens, more like the boys did back in the day. For me the only down side of a Phil show is you have to listen to him sing.

You would've love mountain jam... He really didn't sing much...
And actually when he did - it didn't sound half bad.. I think he took lessons during his health hiatus...

I'm guilty of being a "let Phil sing" Deadhead... But mainly just to hear "Unbroken Chain" or "Box of Rain"

dmc

He's gone but he's everywhere. It's more about vibe than anything else as far as I'm concerned. I miss him too and have been chasing that dragon too. But then I'm not 19 anymore either ;-). I've really found more joy in the small bands-there's a lot of talent within reach. Maybe it's because Jerry had a very personal way of playing, even on the big stage. It's kinda like the way I enjoy college hockey better than pro hockey.

i hear ya... And agree...

in the 90's whenI first started to get pissd off at his playing and singing when he was "using" heavily.. I started seeking out "small bands"....

I'dto head out the the Wetlands and other places in NYC often.. Because of this I saw bands like Phish, Blues Traveler, Dave Mathews, Spin Doctors, Big head Todd, etc... They really filled the void for me.. I started seeing way more small bands(at least they were small then) then actually spending $ for tour...

that being said... I miss Jerry... What i would do for one more "Dew"... Or "China Doll"

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
You would've love mountain jam... He really didn't sing much...
And actually when he did - it didn't sound half bad.. I think he took lessons during his health hiatus...

I'm guilty of being a "let Phil sing" Deadhead... But mainly just to hear "Unbroken Chain" or "Box of Rain"

Don't get me wrong...I never had and still don't have any problems hearing Phil sing a Phil song. It's when he does leads on eyes or friend of the devil or something else that gets me wondering...I though it was great when he had Joan or even Chris singing lead.

Oh, and I heard (and saw) a lot of Phil's set from Mtn Jam online via that webcast....and I did think it was great. Scofield just rips.