• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thinking of going for front suspension

Sheik Yerbouti

I've got a 1989(ish) Trek 970, it's a wonderful bike, but as I'm getting older, I think I might do better with a more gentle ride. Plus I think my front fork might be bent:sad:
Anyway, I have been out of the bike tech loop for a very long time, would like a decent fork, but don't want to drop alot of cash. And I honestly don't know what pricepoint I'd be looking at. If it's more than 400.00, I think I'd start bike shopping again.
It doesn't have to be brand new. I ride about 30 miles a week (want to up that some) 60 - 70% off road (sand, rock, dirt, you know, the good stuff:-D )
Ok, I want it to be new, but not a 2007 model, I hop that makes sense. Anyway, any input would be appreciated. And hopefully riding this summer/fall will prep me for the ski season ahead.

bvibert

Staff member
What size and kind of headset do you have on your bike now? You may not be able to just drop in a new fork...

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
You should just look for another bike. We got my 14 yr old an Iron Horse (not a premium bike but not a Huffy either) with an ok front fork and disk brakes for about $450 last year.Definitely not piece of junk. Like so many things, you would should choose your price point and find the best value accordingly. This is a very good time of the year to shop for a bike. Sales are kicking in while inventories are still up.

bvibert

Staff member
You should just look for another bike.

That's what I was thinking too. For $400 you could get a decent hard tail that'll be a bigger bang for the buck than throwing a low end fork in your old bike. You should be able to get a good deal on a 2007 as they're starting to make room for the 2008's.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I've got a 97 Schwinn moab with a Bomber fork that's pretty good. I crashed it 3 weeks ago (5 broken ribs, 13 stitches on my arm, 2 days in hospital, but I was in good enough shape to windsurf yesterday) and I thought the bike was fine. It turns out I trashed the shifters. This shopping mission has me thinking about a new bike!

I can't imagine this type of purchase:

2007 Shimano XTR Dual Control Levers ST-M975

$439.99 Item: SHI231 If you already love XTR dual control (DCL), your love will only grow exponentially after seeing this shifter in action. If you haven’t seen the need for DCL, dispose of your original impressions and have a second look -- your eyes just might pop out of your head.

Actually, I'm finding ok stuff under $50 but that could go toward a new bike too...

Charlie Schuessler

That's what I was thinking too. For $400 you could get a decent hard tail that'll be a bigger bang for the buck than throwing a low end fork in your old bike. You should be able to get a good deal on a 2007 as they're starting to make room for the 2008's.

Old frame and new fork, head angle & connection differences, front brake assembly, and handlebar changes, etc… more money than the fork assembly. I believe you’re asking for more of a disappointment than a bargain. Go for a new hardtail or full suspension, and if you ride you won't be expending money but investing in a good ride...

Sheik Yerbouti

I think I'd have to spend upwards of 800+ to get the components I have now, along with a suspension fork. I used to sell bikes, and know a 'bad' bike when I see one. A 400 mountain bike is like Chevy Cavalier, it gets the job done, but there are much better performers out there. There is nothing wrong with my bike, in fact, I just had a major overhaul last year and they said it was a great bike.
Guess I'll stick with the rigid ride. It's treated me well so far.

gorgonzola

I was going to scrap my old GT hardtail last year but ended up putting a new 'o5 Marzocchi MX comp air fork on it and its been a blast, like a new bike! You can pick up last year's MX series up off ebay, jenson or pricepoint around $200 and have your LBS put in on for a few $. Small travel 85-100mm shouldn't eff up your geometry either...