• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bull Mountain 2007/08/19

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Date(s) Hiked: 8/19/2007

Trails(s) Hiked: Washburn(White), Notch(Blue), Brook(Red), Cornish(Blue)
Total Distance: 5.25 miles
Vertical: 1400 feet
Difficulty: Strenuous uphill climb from the start, followed by a nice mellow walk in the woods going down.
Conditions: Cool with low humidity
Trip Report:

Another hike in Hudson Highlands State Park. This time we hiked up to Bull Hill, also known as Mt. Taurus. This hike start out by taking us up the side of an old quarry:

QuarrySM.jpg

We missed a turn and went to the base of the quarry where we should have gone up the right side. Not a problem, a little backtracking on we were back on our route. The hike up was pretty tough, a constant uphill most of the way and unlike Breakneck, which is on the other side of this mountain, no real rock scrambling. The rock scrambling makes it more interesting and as a result, a bit easier. This hill is also higher than Breakneck, 1400 feet vs 1100. However we didn't do too bad, we set a nice pace and finished the 5.25 miles and 1400 vertical in 2 hours and 40 minutes.

ChartOnly.jpg

Nice views along the way:

normal_P8190019.JPG
normal_P8190022.JPG

I liked this one, this is looking down on my recent fav, Breakneck Ridge:

normal_P8190025.JPG

At the top we also got views of a lot of our newly discovered hikes this year. We saw Breakneck Ridge, South Beacon Mountain, Mohonk, Minniwaska, and Sam's Point. Going back down was a very pleasant hike through some nice forests and more ruins from the Cornish farm, this had to be one hell of an estate in it's day, lots of buildings and paved walk/carriage ways. Overall it was a great workout and pleastant hike. Although it's no Breakneck, it's a nice change of pace. I also tried using my new GPS for the first time. I saved the track and downloaded it to my computer. Cool seeing how close it came to the actual trail map. I'll post pics of that later.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Here's how the new GPS recorded my trip. The first map is a regular trail map, the second one is the same map with my GPS recorded trip superimposed. There are areas where there are turns on the trail map but they weren't recorded by the GPS. That's because I did loose a satelite signal at times and by the time the GPS picked it up again, it came out as a straight line. There is some additional turning around the quarry at the bottom, that's cause we made a few wrong turns :oops:

Pretrack.jpg
PostTrack.jpg