• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I broke down

Paul

About half, as I recall. The Saab 9-2 sportwagon was (is? not sure if they're still making it) 100% built by Subaru.

ohsnap.gif

ctenidae

That's right, just put a Saab nose on it and upgraded the interior a bit (moved the ignition switch :lol:).

Saabs finally developed it's own AWD system that's going to move to the 9-5 and 9-3 in next year or two. We'll have to see if they stick with subi for the 9-2.

They used it, as I understand it, to fill a gap in their product line they felt they had, and rebranding the Subi was faster than designing a new car. Personally, I think they should have stuck to their knitting.
The AWD is all Saab, though, apparently, so that's a step up for them.

Paul

I wouldn't drive a Saturn<GM> if you paid me...Tomorrow I get my Subaru <GM>back from the bodyshop..The Neon<Daimler Chrysler> rental has really sucked. Oh Yeah and my Dog was laughing about your van..ahahahaha

would you drive a gmc? the saturn outlook is the exact same vehicle as the gmc acadia. and its a cuv, not a van. ;-)

I believe GM owns a piece of Subaru.

About half, as I recall. The Saab 9-2 sportwagon was (is? not sure if they're still making it) 100% built by Subaru.

No I wouldn't drive a GMC..I don't like American vehicles..

Sorry, Mr. Stromare? yes, we're ready for you now..

ohsnap.gif

ctenidae

It's not American cars I don't like, it's American car design. With few exceptions, Ford and GM make some of the ugliest cars on teh planet. Chrysler did, too, until they got a little German in them. We'll see how long that lasts now that they've got a three headed dog running things.

At least Subaru still does their own designing, etc.

ComeBackMudPuddles

It's not American cars I don't like, it's American car design. With few exceptions, Ford and GM make some of the ugliest cars on teh planet. Chrysler did, too, until they got a little German in them. We'll see how long that lasts now that they've got a three headed dog running things.

At least Subaru still does their own designing, etc.

Personal taste, I suppose. I like Subarus, but they've never been beautiful or good looking cars. The Tribeca thing is pretty hideous. The Imprezza? Not impressive. The Outback is quite functional and brands one a Northeasterner (like Saab used to do), but its not a particularly good or exciting design.

mlctvt

Personal taste, I suppose. I like Subarus, but they've never been beautiful or good looking cars. The Tribeca thing is pretty hideous. The Imprezza? Not impressive. The Outback is quite functional and brands one a Northeasterner (like Saab used to do), but its not a particularly good or exciting design.

I agree. My wife and I have a 2005 Subaru WRX wagon as our ski car. In last years April storms it was the only car in our condo building that made it out before they could plow. Four large SUVs and a Mercedes E320 4matic all just sat spinning their wheels. They must have had crappy all season tires. It was hilarious watching my neighbor’s faces when my wife climbed into the WRX and just drove out through 18" of snow. Yes it was like a snow plow, the front end pushing the snow and the bottom of the car was dragging but the wheels didn't spin. There's nothing like AWD and real snow tires. Outbacks are nice but they handle like a truck, they're one of the worst handling cars made due to the ride height. Too bad they don’t make a Subaru Legacy GT limited wagon with a standard transmission any more, 2005 was the only year, I’d be buying one this year if they did.

skijay

About the Saturns..I have owned two S series, L series and a VUE. The S series were the most durable and long lasting cars that I have ever owned. My 1996 SL2 is now on it's third owner and is at 225k and the engine still has not been rebuilt. I also learned it still has the original clutch and exhaust system. I got rid of it back in 2001 with 150k on it. They are a little boring and quirky but they are basically a gas and go car.

Saturn has a new ad campaign stating "Rethink American". I may be wrong on part of this, but the 2008 VUE was designed by Daewoo / Opel and is built in Mexico, The new Astra (Ion replacement) is an Opel built in Belgium rebadged and de-tuned for Americans, the Aura is an Opel design Americanized and built either in Delaware or the original Spring Hill, TN plant. The SKY / Solstice are twins as is the Outlook / Acadia, I think the SKY/ Solstice is another Opel design built here. I kind of do not understand the Rethink American campaign if most of their vehicles are European designed cars.

I am going to miss the original US designed & made polymer Saturns. Now we get rebadges or clones of other GM products.