Surfing - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Surfing

My phone has a hard time w/ Magic Seaweed. I use Surfline but they seem to want you to pay for the premium thing... I'll dick around w/ the free one, but its annoying when I have to look at there advertising while I wait for a Bouy Report.
    I don't know about the Cape, but this summer has been dreadfully flat on Long Island...

^ I'm not too familiar with phones but, if you can download apps, try the Oakley Surf Report. They use Surfline but in a more-user friendly format. Been having trouble with MSW the past few days. Today, they made me update the app. More features (including specific buoy readings) that I'm still getting used to but very good. It's more info than I how to use.

Surfing in the east is just like skiing -- you take what you can get. Hope you have some good waves this week.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    That surprises me because I just saw the trailer and it looks dreadful.
    I was also heavily intoxicated when watching it so that may have influenced my opinion.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Just finished watching Blue Crush on TV. I'm twitching. Need to surf. NOW!
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

been surfing for 30 years...shortboard, longboard now SUP surfing (and flatwater workouts) mostly surf Long Island (I'm 20 min from the beach) and Cape Cod (Coast Guard, Eastham) as we have a house there.....i surf all winter too, not on the weekends as we are skiing...i only longboard in the winter to minimize duckdiving....

only a surfer knows the feeling...
    updownupdownupdownupdown

MSW is alot more accurate than Swellinfo...surfline is decent...knowing your break, tides, winds and you can figure out whether or not its worth the trip down to the beach....
    updownupdownupdownupdown

Quote Originally Posted by SKIQUATTRO View Post
    only a surfer knows the feeling...
    Quoted for truth.

If you head back to the Lower Cape, let me know. It would be good to surf with a fellow AZer.

Did anybody go out today? How were the conditions?

Despite the call for flat conditions on the Cape (Surfline), Friday afternoon was pretty good at Nauset Light with waist-high -- and quick closing -- waves. Saturday morning at Marconi was pretty flat. Found a nice break a long walk from Marconi in the afternoon and as the tide went out, the wave really improved. Spent about 5 hours in the water and my back muscles are really strained now. I had to take the day off, which is good because I hit the beach today and it was flatter than a lake.

Saturday in the lineup was great. Lots of surfers talking skiing -- and surfer girls in bikinis!=)

Anybody been out on the water this summer? I've been in the water in Eastham the past few weeks and the water is warm for this tme of year. There were some stories about sighting "men in the grey suits" last week.=)

I've been in the water a lot lately on the South Shore. Very warm for this point in the summer.

A few of my colleagues are the ones doing the shark research on the cape right now for the state. They have been seeing A LOT of GWs. They were telling me something interesting the other day that I'd never thought of. They said that the big ones (16') aren't likely to do you any harm. They need to make their attacks calorically worthwhile so they are here for the grey seals and they don't bother with harbor seals or people. And the little babies (<10') are fish eaters with fish-eating teeth that aren't suited for biting people. But at ~10' they lose the baby teeth and get the classic 'shark tooth' and they are ready for bigger prey. But they need to learn from experience what's good to bite and what isn't. So these are the ones that end up "tasting" people! And apparently there are some 10-footers out there.

Thread Information