Surfing - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Surfing

I had a windsurfer but it burnt to the ground during a car fire

I'd love to try windsurfing again, my dad was big into it. I have a 2nd board at home but no mast / sail any longer.

Never tried regular surfing, I always figured the waves on the east coast weren't that great, but maybe that's great for a beginner? It does look like a lot of fun.

No fear of the great white Snowmonster?

7812shark.jpg

Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    I've been in the water a lot lately on the South Shore. Very warm for this point in the summer.

A few of my colleagues are the ones doing the shark research on the cape right now for the state. They have been seeing A LOT of GWs. They were telling me something interesting the other day that I'd never thought of. They said that the big ones (16') aren't likely to do you any harm. They need to make their attacks calorically worthwhile so they are here for the grey seals and they don't bother with harbor seals or people. And the little babies (<10') are fish eaters with fish-eating teeth that aren't suited for biting people. But at ~10' they lose the baby teeth and get the classic 'shark tooth' and they are ready for bigger prey. But they need to learn from experience what's good to bite and what isn't. So these are the ones that end up "tasting" people! And apparently there are some 10-footers out there.
    At this time of year, I'm usually in my shorties. The last 2 weekends, a rash guard and trunks are all I've needed. My attitude is that the sharks are always there. It's part of the hazards of being out there, unfortunately. I do get creeped out when I see a dark shape in the water. Most of the time, it's a seal. There's that split second when your mind is trying to decide whether it's friend or foe and you have that "oh, shit" moment. A regular surfer at Nauset Light was telling me that they had to close the beach a few weeks back because they spotted a shark near one of the buoys. I tend to surf between Nauset Light and Coast Guard far from the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I had a windsurfer but it burnt to the ground during a car fire

I'd love to try windsurfing again, my dad was big into it. I have a 2nd board at home but no mast / sail any longer.

Never tried regular surfing, I always figured the waves on the east coast weren't that great, but maybe that's great for a beginner? It does look like a lot of fun.

No fear of the great white Snowmonster?

7812shark.jpg
    Fear is a natural reaction. How you channel that fear is up to you. Windsurfing never appealed to me. Too much gear to lug around.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Shark incident off Truro: bodysurfer, Ballston Beach

Witnesses: Shark bites swimmer in Truro

By Cape Cod Times
    Monday, July 30, 2012 - Added 23 minutes ago

A man was bitten in the ankle by a shark this afternoon while body surfing off Ballson Beach in Truro, according to witnesses, who also reported seeing a shark fin.
    Rescue personnel were called to the beach at about 3:30 p.m. after a report of a shark bite. Shark sightings off the Cape have increased markedly in recent years up and down the Outer Cape.

The man was carried off the beach with what appeared to be wounds to at least one of his legs and foot area, a Times reporter said from the scene.
    The man was conscious and when asked by the reporter how he was doing he gave the thumbs up.
    As of 4:45 p.m. Ballston Beach remained open as officials were still assessing the situation.
    Several witnesses reported seeing a shark fin off the popular beach. The victim was body surfing about a third of a mile off the beach.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Isn't a third of a mile pretty far out? My wife would never go to the beach again if she heard this

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

VT & Harlem NYC, but I am from California
    +1 on Kayak surfing

it's really fun

Haven't gotten the hang of changing directions...ie swinging the sail around yet. I haven't gotten down to rent the stuff out much in the last 3-4 years... Maybe....maybe...this could be the summer/fall. Wonder how long beach season will go this year.... Just hoping for the drastic turnaround...into Fall.
    SteveD

I just saw this thread - procrastinating (have a couple of reports to finish). I've been bodyboarding for about 10 years or longer. I am seriously addicted to it and grab any chance to catch a decent swell or even just flat water paddle when it's flat (as it has been for such a long time now).
    I took a few surfing lessons during a couple trips to Hawaii but most of the time, the type if waves that we get in MA and RI are usually more enjoyable (ridable) on a bodyboard, so that's my choice for a wave riding tool. On bigger days, when surf is at about 5'-6', I do wish I was more proficient on a surf board since getting out on a bodyboard in really active water is a real bitch.

But even if it's just a windswell and all we get are just closeouts (wave cresting all at once with no ridable shoulder), a bodyboard and good pair of fins can get you a serious full body workout. Bodyboarding, when done well (catching the unbroken wave) can be really demanding, super fun and often, a bit scary. Hold downs, late takeoffs, beach currents, fighting through white water when getting out and sometimes clueless SUP or longboard surfers new to the sport can make the activity pretty exciting. And now, sharks!

I knew that the Great Whites were always there - I do get out of the water or move when there are seals around, but now, it seems like there are more of GWs out there.

I knew that Quatro was a surfer and it's nice to see that others on this board can get pretty serious about ridnig waves and the wind.
    I'm usually on the Cape (Marconi, Nausett Light) or even at Nantasket if the swell is coming in. Otherwise if stuff is coming from the south, RI and south facing MA beaches, I am there from spring well into the fall. Looks like the flat spell will be ending. Hurricane forecasts for the rest of the seson got a bit more promissing.
    Live for today

^ Nice to know there's another one of us on these boards.

I also learned to surf in Hawaii then took a very long time off. Got back into riding waves through bodyboarding. I think it's severely underrated as a beach activity. Sure, some kids just ride the whitewater into the shore but, if done right, it's a great way to learn to read and ride waves. I surf mostly at Nauset Light and Coast Guard Beach (actually between Nauset Light and Coast Guard). I usually ride a green longboard. If you see the monster, say hi!

Looks like the sharks are coming in closer that usual. Spotted five feet from shore in Newcomb Hollow. Unnerving.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2012...kIK/story.html

If there are still surfers out there, I hope you haven't put away your boards. Looks like this weekend is going to be stellar. Magic Seaweed is forecasting 4 foot swells on Cape Cod through the weekend because of Tropical Storm Leslie out in the Atlantic. Possible 6 foot swells on Monday. Surf's up!

swell is starting to show here on Long Island, will be heading out this evening, and everyday till its gone....
    updownupdownupdownupdown

Thread Information