Surfing - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Surfing

Lots of windsurfers and kitesurfers in Wellfleet Harbor this afternoon.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Sorry for the threadjack.
    For the surfers how different is the wave catching process from a boogie board, I am talking being in deep water using flippers not catching a broken wave on the shore.
    I ask because growing up I was an avid body boarder but never tried actual surfing. Now that I am all grown up I want to try surfing.
    Do I rent a long board and give it a go? Or do I bury my pride and have some teenage kid teach me?

Threadjack some more but I just watched Soul Surfer... Pretty good flick. I liked it more
    I thought I would.
    Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    Sorry for the threadjack.
    For the surfers how different is the wave catching process from a boogie board, I am talking being in deep water using flippers not catching a broken wave on the shore.
    I ask because growing up I was an avid body boarder but never tried actual surfing. Now that I am all grown up I want to try surfing.
    Do I rent a long board and give it a go? Or do I bury my pride and have some teenage kid teach me?
    Not a threadjack at all.

I think bodyboarding (with fins) makes you familiar with the rhythms of the ocean -- how to catch a wave, the feeling that comes when the wave catches you and turning in the wave. You can also use it to learn how to duckdive, turn turtle and learn to read where the wave breaks. I'd say it's a good intro to surfing despite what some people may think. If you're not comfortable in the waves, learning to surf will be more of a chore.

If you're getting into surfing, I'd suggest renting a longboard and starting from there. Aside from learning how to paddle around and finding your balance, it's easier to pop-up on a longboard than a shortboard. When you finally stand on a board and you're riding a wave, you'll be hooked. However, nothing substitutes for watertime. If you must take a lesson, there are surf shops that offer lessons. There were even these two women surfers in Wellfleet that had a surf school. I may get little snowmonster a lesson from them and even one for myself to get tips on a shortboard.

See you in the lineup!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Threadjack some more but I just watched Soul Surfer... Pretty good flick. I liked it more
    I thought I would.
    Thanks for the reco. I heard good things about the film.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Think HD333 actually gets the tread headed back in the right direction... And I could not have said it any better then SnowMonster. A smooth pop-up is critical in getting to your feet and making the wave. Since you have been bodyboarding you should have an head-start in being able to "read" the waves. Have fun and I will also give a thumbs-up to Soul Surfer
    Life's to short for warm-up runs
    All skis are rock skis

Pardon the horrible typing on the phone last night. Yeah the movie was really good, way better than I expected. I really enjoyed it.

I ended up googling quite a bit about the attack after the movie was over. I have to say, genius marketing move releasing the movie to DVD during shark week.

Heads up, surfers! Just checked Magic Seaweed for this weekend's Cape forecast: 1 foot waves on Friday and Saturday (meh) but, on Sunday, 7 foot waves at noon and 4.5 feet at 6 (whoah)! Wax those boards! Surf's up!

Looks like a low press. system pushes off the coast this weekend. I'm more intrested in what was, T.S. Emily... Hopefully restrenghtening over water and producing swell..Mon.-Tue.? Anyone know of free surf forecasting sites that work well on not-so-smart-phones?

sent from my Samsung somethin or other

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I thought I would.
    That surprises me because I just saw the trailer and it looks dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by twinplanx View Post
    Looks like a low press. system pushes off the coast this weekend. I'm more intrested in what was, T.S. Emily... Hopefully restrenghtening over water and producing swell..Mon.-Tue.? Anyone know of free surf forecasting sites that work well on not-so-smart-phones?

sent from my Samsung somethin or other
    Magicseaweed and Surfline have websites that you can use.

Just got back from a morning session and I still have water in my ears. Clean early but getting choppy out there. Water was chillier today and I took some grief from others in the lineup for wearing a shorty. Told them I'm used to this because "I'm a skier." That shut them up. Friday and Saturday defied the forecast. Conditions were better than expected. Nice clean breaks at lowtide. Good weekend for surfing. Just checked MSW and it they're calling 3.5 foot swells in Cape Cod tomorrow AM. Tuesday to Friday forecast looks good too. Pick of the week seems to be Thursday with 4.5 foot swells at 8 seconds with winds from SSW. And sunny

Thread Information