• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dinner thread...What's cooking...

Dmiller27

I recently bought a cast iron skillet, and have started to love to cook in it. Last night I did pan fried NY Sirloin, with pan fried asparagus, along side it and baked sweet potatoes.

This morning I made bacon, hash browns, eggs, and toast. Loved that I just had to wipe the pan with a napkin, add a little oil to the pan, throw it in the oven for about 30 minutes and it was ready to go for the next meal.

Does anybody have some personal cast iron recipes that I should try?

IMG_20141228_101246.jpg

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
.....okay, here's a recipe then

Tonight I had what I'll call Alimony Stew

My wife is working this evening, so I decided to incorporate some foods that I love, but she hates into a stew. The five items were Mussels, Mushrooms (Shitake), Sweet Potato, Cooked tomato and cooked Arugula. She loves the later two raw, but doesn't care for them cooked. The first three ingredients she hates.

I cooked off about a pound of Mussels and 2 ounces of Shitake with shallot, garlic, butter, white wine, rosemary, thyme and fennel.

I grilled one large Sweet Potato and a 1/3 # of Kielbasa until both had a nice char on them.

This all got combined in a pot with three large diced Roma Tomatoes and two cups of a 50/50 chicken and vegetable stock. Cook on medium low for 20 minutes. Added the Arugula and a bit of Red Pepper flake around the 18 minute mark.

Serve with grilled bread.

Alimony Stew

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
.....okay, here's a recipe then

Tonight I had what I'll call Alimony Stew

My wife is working this evening, so I decided to incorporate some foods that I love, but she hates into a stew. The five items were Mussels, Mushrooms (Shitake), Sweet Potato, Cooked tomato and cooked Arugula. She loves the later two raw, but doesn't care for them cooked. The first three ingredients she hates.

I cooked off about a pound of Mussels and 2 ounces of Shitake with shallot, garlic, butter, white wine, rosemary, thyme and fennel.

I grilled one large Sweet Potato and a 1/3 # of Kielbasa until both had a nice char on them.

This all got combined in a pot with three large diced Roma Tomatoes and two cups of a 50/50 chicken and vegetable stock. Cook on medium low for 20 minutes. Added the Arugula and a bit of Red Pepper flake around the 18 minute mark.

Serve with grilled bread.

Alimony Stew
Sounds good!
Like to eat raw Shitakes with salsa

deadheadskier

Staff member
I assume you are allergic to Mussels than as well? Most folks who are allergic to one bi-valve are allergic to them all.

pshydriad@gmail.com

Yup... bivalve are poison. Too bad too since I grew up living on friend clams. Now just the smell of them makes me nervous.

skifree

Just killed a white clam pizza and a bottle of chianti at pepes pizza in new haven

Wahoo!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Chicken Masala and bunch of fried Indian goodies.

If you're ever in White River Junction, VT, I can't recommend this place enough.

http://www.taj-e-india.com/#_=_

It's a take out only Indian Food Restaurant located literally inside this family's house. This is my second time through town on business and I was eager to get take out from here again. Super tasty and HUGE portions for the money. Next time I need to remember a cooler to bring my leftovers home.