• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Official Red Sox 2007 Playoff Thread

Zand

Sox clinched tonight with an 8-6 win over Tampa Bay. Varitek tied it in the top of the 9th and 3 batters later Lugo hit the go ahead 2 run homer.

BeanoNYC

Sox are finally pulling it back together. It would take a major meltdown to loose the division at this point. It's refreshing to finally see a pro Sox thread, rather than an anti yanks thread, from a sox fan.

RISkier

I'm a Sox fan but I don't really like their chances against other AL playoff teams. Just think that Cleveland and the Angels have had better starting pitching. The Yanks starting pitching has really come on and they have the most potent offense. My view is that Schilling and or Dice-K need to step it up in the playoffs. That said, a lot of teams that have kind of gone limping into the playoffs have won the WS. So, go Sox!

ComeBackMudPuddles

It's refreshing to finally see a pro Sox thread, rather than an anti yanks thread, from a sox fan.

Amen.

So, what's the prediction on the page total for this thread? I'm saying one, maybe two, tops. I mean, three and out during the ALDS can't generate that much discussion, right?

Ha aha ha ha ahaha.

:beer:

skibum1321

It's been tough of late, with some injuries starting to pile up and some of the pitching is showing signs of fatigue. Getting Youk and Manny back should be a big boost to the lineup. Unfortunately, I doubt that Ellsbury will permanently replace Drew in right once Manny is back. Francona won't sit Drew even though he hasn't proven anything this year. Same goes for Gagne - he shouldn't even make the playoff roster based on his performance.
It's been depressing to listen to talk radio or NESN lately. It seems like they don't even care about the division and are already making excuses in case we lose it. The most important thing is obviously the playoffs, but I still want the division.

It should be interesting to see if they can pull it together.

2knees

2 game lead after yanks lost a golden chance this afternoon. Having Burnett scratched last minute for Litsch seemed like an easy win.

I hate to sound pessimistic but the sox look rather vulnerable. The lineup does have alot of holes in it without manny. Youkilis, while better then hinske, had been struggling for a while himself. hopefully this time off from the injury gets his bat going again. I agree that they wont sit Drew for Ellsbury even though they really should. I just cant see them sitting a $70 million investment for a rookie. I dont think Francona has the sack to do it.

snowmonster

Whew! After this afternoon, the magic number is 5 to clinch with 5 games left in the season. This is going down to the wire just like the season that they're celebrating this year, 1967.

Manny and Youk were supposed to do BP at Fenway today. Hope that means Manny is on the way back. I hope the Sox heat up this week for that big push into the post-season. You have to go in there thinking you're going to win. If not, we're toast.

Believe in Boston.

skibum1321

Whew! After this afternoon, the magic number is 5 to clinch with 5 games left in the season. This is going down to the wire just like the season that they're celebrating this year, 1967.

Manny and Youk were supposed to do BP at Fenway today. Hope that means Manny is on the way back. I hope the Sox heat up this week for that big push into the post-season. You have to go in there thinking you're going to win. If not, we're toast.

Believe in Boston.

Manny has been taking BP on and off for a while now. I honestly don't see him coming back until the start of the playoffs. From what I've heard, he feels good enough at the plate but doesn't want to run. If that's the case, you could always put him at DH and give Papi a day off or put him at first.

I agree that this could actually be good for Youk. He goes so hard day in and day out that he always trails off in the second half. Maybe the rest will rejuvenate him a little bit. Time will tell.

The other worry is the inconsistency of the pitching lately. Oki has been terrible lately and hopefully his 2+ weeks off will help him out a little bit. Papelbon has been inconsistent also, which is extremely rare. And then there are the struggles of Dice-K and Wake lately. The only starter that I am truly confident in is Beckett, which is certainly not enough to win a series.

Also, there are 6 games left in the season, not 5 (2 with Oakland, 4 with Minnesota).

2knees

Interesting to see Francona pull Gagne last night with 2 outs and 2 on. I guess he finally sees what the rest of us already knew. You can not trust Gagne. I'll be very interested to see who he goes to in the playoffs. Okajima is supposed to come back thursday but who knows what you'll get. Maybe someone can explain this one to me though. Where is Timlin? He rarely pitches yet when he does, he seems very effective. Why not use him as the setup guy?

skibum1321

I went to the Sox rally at City Hall Plaza last night. It was fun, but they had some seriously obscure bands and music early on. It ended well with the Standells and then the Dropkicks. Unfortunately, they only let the Dropkicks play about 5 songs.

I'm pumped for Wednesday. Predictions for the series?

I'm saying Sox in 4.

FRITOLAYGUY

Well i will be part of the Fenway faithful friday night, ummm 2 bleacher seats that when i got done bidding were ummm 440.00, the face value 25bucks each lol. ya a ski pass kinda price but u know what its redsox playoff baseball and its worth it.