• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Rack Recommendations

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I just purchased a new car and I'm looking to buy a bike rack. Previously I had a Honda Civic and I had a Yakima roof rack. I tightened down the roof rack a bit much and created a nice indent on the roof. That car was a hatchback and I couldn't use a trunk rack. Now I got a Toyota Corolla sedan and can use a trunk rack. I've been considering the Saris Bones 2-Bike rack. But recently also looked at the Yakima SuperJoe2. Any recommendations?

Greg

Staff member
;) Thanks, but I'm looking for some feedback from consumers.

I know that, silly. ;) My point was perhaps there are some gear reviews on the merchant Web sites (I didn't look).

bvibert

Staff member
Sorry, no feedback... But I'm curious why you could use one of the rear type racks on your old hatchback? Those racks are adjustable to fit trunks or hatchbacks.

FWIW I've seen a lot of rave reviews for the Saris racks online, can't recall seeing too many, if any, bad reviews. Most folks recommend finding a dealer that'll let you bring the rack out to your car to see how well it fits before committing to buying it...

BTW, next time don't tighten the rack down so much and you won't dent your hood... You animal! ;)

jplynch019

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Does your car have a receiver hitch on it? I bought a hitch mount rack from Performance Bicycle and I really like it. Pro's - the Bikes sit on the rack really tight. Con's - knobs on the clamp seem to take forever to tighten or loosen.

link: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22744&subcategory_ID=4411

No, I don't have a hitch or else I would consider one of those. Considered putting a hitch on for that purpose, but that brings the price up.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Sorry, no feedback... But I'm curious why you could use one of the rear type racks on your old hatchback? Those racks are adjustable to fit trunks or hatchbacks.

The Honda has a little flap that comes over the top of the hatch and I didn't think that would hold up well under the weight.

BTW, next time don't tighten the rack down so much and you won't dent your hood... You animal! ;)

Duh, where were you when I was putting the thing on oringinally :roll: ;)