• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cyclists Get No Respect

bvibert

Staff member
That sucks! It's dangerous enough when cars do that crap, but when a bus does it! :eek: That bus driver should be fired and charges brought against her.

Since I hardly ever ride on the road I don't have any stories to tell. I'd like to do more road riding, but stories like these aren't exactly inspiring me to do so...

MonkeyBrook

The police were worse than the bus driver. For anyone who has ever taken the time or energy to ride a bike, they would understand. I have had many similiar incidents: honking at me, swerviing at me, yelling out the window. As I read in a recent Bike magazine, "do not engage the motorist, just take your sharpest tool to the side of their car at the next traffic light". I just love these people that have to pass you at double the speed limit while crossing a solid line in the other lane just to get around you while narrowly missing a head on collision with an oncoming vehicle....It will never change. So now, I just ride in the middle of the road as long as I can keep up with the speed limit.

skibum1321

The safest way to do it is to ride in the middle of the road if there isn't a wide enough shoulder. Even if you can't keep up with the speed limit, you have every right to be there. The unfortunate part is that motorists and cops don't see it that way. Some people are just so ignorant to cyclist rights and they are in such a hurry to get wherever they "need" to be that they are willing to put the lives of others at risk.

Road riding can be safe if you stay on the right roads. It is clearly most dangerous when you are in the city - especially a city that doesn't have bike lanes or wide shoulders on the road. It's an awesome sport and I highly recommend getting into it, despite these stories. I used to be a mountain biker, but since I started road cycling last spring, I ride on the roads for about 95% of my biking.

I wish cyclists used lights at night..alot don't...stay on bike paths...lol..just kidding...most drivers think cyclists should stay on the sidewalk but riding on the sidewalk is illegal..

I'm glad skiers and riders don't have to dodge cars

twinplanx

So I guess thats why my father(who worked in traffic safety) insisted that we kids keep to the sidewalk. Bikes pay no insurance or registration fees, thats why I say bikes belong in the woods. If the roads are covered in snow do I have the right to ski them?:daffy: I realize that posting this here will bring me my share of:angry:flamming responses,:argue: so this is where I'll state that the bus driver was wrong, he hit the guy! But I feel better venting my frustrations on a public forum rather than on the streets. Besides I need to get my post count up ala GSS: :dunce:

bruno

So I guess thats why my father(who worked in traffic safety) insisted that we kids keep to the sidewalk. Bikes pay no insurance or registration fees, thats why I say bikes belong in the woods. If the roads are covered in snow do I have the right to ski them?:daffy: I realize that posting this here will bring me my share of:angry:flamming responses,:argue: so this is where I'll state that the bus driver was wrong, he hit the guy! But I feel better venting my frustrations on a public forum rather than on the streets. Besides I need to get my post count up ala GSS: :dunce:

i know you're jus' baitin' but cyclists pay taxes jus' like anybody else. besides roadies are usually rich so we pay more. :daffy::beer::beer::flag::):blink:

so there!

MonkeyBrook

funny theory twinplanx. Paying insurance has nothign to do with being able to share the road. It is a law that cyclists have the same right ot the road as motorists. but I am sure you just typed that reply to see how crazy you can make roadies. I do ride dirt, but spend much more time on the road.

skibum1321

Regardless of how you personally feel about bikes, they are allowed on the road by law. They are another type of vehicle and it is attitudes like this that prevent them from gaining more traction. It's an unfortunate reality that a lot of people don't feel safe commuting on a bike. With some of the drivers out there, I don't blame people for this attitude. Too many drivers have a stick up their @$$ and drive extremely aggressively around cyclists. I have been cut off in a group of 6 people and it almost caused a huge pile up. Other drivers will beep, which scares me half to death and is far more dangerous than just passing at a close distance. Its sad, but the list goes on and on about how people screw cyclists over.

We would be far better off if we put more infrastructure into making bicycling a viable means of transportation. Instead, we rely heavily on cars, which end in far more fatalities each year than biking ever would.

And about taxes, most roadies don't ride exclusively so we all pay the gas tax and car insurance. Such an ignorant attitude :roll:

mlctvt

bikers need to ride single file..I get pissed when they ride side by side..stay in the shoulder..

Not in many states, riding two abreast IS legal in many states. I know in Massachusets it is illegal but in Pennsylvania it is legal for two riders to ride side by side. The ;laws states that drivers must wait until it is safe to pass. I personally don't ride side by side with another bike unless we're on a very rural road with very little traffic and I also think that doing so actually hurts cyclists by pissing off drivers.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I am a long time mtn biker and started riding road about a year ago. These days i'm abou 50-50 mtn-road. (Although, with winter coming, probably increase the mtn biking precentages).

Don't engage poor motorists. You wont' be able to change their driving habits and would perhaps only enrage them more. I think any car, even a yaris or any other subcompact could take my carbon-fiber frame, so why risk it. (let alone who knows what those crazy drivers have inside their cars).

I find it most annoying when a car passes you and then stops to turn about 20 feet in front. Has happened numerous times.

A few months ago, as we were riding, a car pulls out of a driveway pretty close in front of us and then stops dead in the street. She was attempting to turn into another driveway 2 up from the one she pulled out of. When one of the guys I was riding with unleashed on her, her response was "You guys were going too fast." (FYI, we were doing about 22 on a 25 mph roadway). She obviously was very poor in gauging how far away we were. (and of course in failing to gauge our manly speed :)).

Also, Grilled skeeze.....at times, the shoulders are covered in debris, sand, gravel and other hazards. It can be difficult or worse to ride in some shoulders.

Needless to say, while trees and rocks are hard and can cause many injuries, they don't move!

mlctvt

I am a long time mtn biker and started riding road about a year ago. These days i'm abou 50-50 mtn-road. (Although, with winter coming, probably increase the mtn biking precentages).

Don't engage poor motorists. You wont' be able to change their driving habits and would perhaps only enrage them more. I think any car, even a yaris or any other subcompact could take my carbon-fiber frame, so why risk it. (let alone who knows what those crazy drivers have inside their cars).

I find it most annoying when a car passes you and then stops to turn about 20 feet in front. Has happened numerous times.

A few months ago, as we were riding, a car pulls out of a driveway pretty close in front of us and then stops dead in the street. She was attempting to turn into another driveway 2 up from the one she pulled out of. When one of the guys I was riding with unleashed on her, her response was "You guys were going too fast." (FYI, we were doing about 22 on a 25 mph roadway). She obviously was very poor in gauging how far away we were. (and of course in failing to gauge our manly speed :)).

Also, Grilled skeeze.....at times, the shoulders are covered in debris, sand, gravel and other hazards. It can be difficult or worse to ride in some shoulders.

Needless to say, while trees and rocks are hard and can cause many injuries, they don't move!

That's right about shoulders they are dangerous to ride on. The effective bicycling class and most publications advise that it's actually safer to ride on the traveled part of the road as far right as possible. It's been found that cars will actually pass you faster and closer if you ride on the shoulder than if you ride on the traveled part of the road.
My wife and I ride about 4000 miles a year and it's rare that we have a ride where we don't witness at least one stupid or aggressive motorist. Having people cut you off as mentioned above is one of the most common occurrences. Many motorists, especially older folks are just terrible when it comes to judging speed and distance.
I had one road rage incident last year when riding with my wife in our own town. A middle aged woman passed us with just inches between us. I yelled “move over” and she stopped the car in the middle of the road and said “do you have a problem with me” I yelled “Yes I certainly do, there was no reason to pass us so close when we’re on a straight road and nobody was coming from the other direction, you should have moved over at least 5 feet”. I didn’t tell her that in most states there is either a 3 foot or 5 foot pass rule. She says to us the bike have to stay to the right of the white line. I laughed at her and we get on our bikes and start riding away. She jumps in her car and yells out the window that she’s going to run us over and proceeds to come at us with the car. We rode off the road into someone’s lawn to avoid getting hit. She pulls over and gets out of the car and confronts us again. I tell her that I’m calling the cops, she says fine do that. Since I forgot my cell phone I asked her if she has one and she says “No I don’t have a cell phone only rich people like you have them”. I have no idea where she gets it that I’m rich? Maybe she was impressed with my bright cycling clothes? She jumps in her car and drives away. I remember her license plate number and I’m now so pissed I ride my bike right to the police department and tell them the whole story. The cop asks if I want to press assault charges, I could have got her on assault with a deadly weapon. I asked what options there were. I told him that I wanted her educated on the proper rules of the road and have the incident recorded so there was a record of what happened. So the cop went and had a “conversation” with the woman at her home. He later told me when he was explaining the law to her in regards to bicycles her husband says “see I told you so”. He told the woman that we could have had her arrested but decided that we wouldn’t press charges this time. I definitely lucked out that the cop was a cyclist himself. Driver testing and training is a disgrace in this country. Most of the general population has no idea as to what the rules of the road are. There isn’t bicycle or pedestrian related questions on the driver’s tests, drivers aren’t tested except the one time they receive their license. Things are getting worse not better. I always thought that as the older people died off things would improve but now some of the worst driving I witness is by young people.

twinplanx

i know you're jus' baitin' but cyclists pay taxes jus' like anybody else. besides roadies are usually rich so we pay more. :daffy::beer::beer::flag::):blink:

so there!

Is that a fact? I guess you haven't heard about all the tax cuts for the "rich", just how much were you able to deduct last fiscal year?

twinplanx

funny theory twinplanx. Paying insurance has nothign to do with being able to share the road. It is a law that cyclists have the same right ot the road as motorists. but I am sure you just typed that reply to see how crazy you can make roadies. I do ride dirt, but spend much more time on the road.

yeah yeah yeah... the laws of physics will always overrule any of Mans puny laws:razz:

SKIQUATTRO

i find roadies to be some of the unfriendliest group of athletes out there and I'm a roadie...

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
i find roadies to be some of the unfriendliest group of athletes out there and I'm a roadie...

I kind of agree....But hey, those guys shave their legs, so who really cares. You just need to find a bunch of riders that are not aggressively competitive. Granted, not such an easy task. But I do also find that overall, road bikers tend to be ultracompetitve.

snoseek

I want to respond but don't want to piss off all you roadies.......

I think a lot of bikers ride abreast because they know they can, pisses off the driver who then drive like a-holes and lay on the horn, very dangerous. kind of a tough situation that needs to be understood from both sides. When building roads we should really think about bikes, maybe even more bike paths.

SKIQUATTRO

I'm not talking riders vs. drivers...roadies are rude/unfriendly to other roadies...i always nod, give a quick "HEY" or raise a few fingers off my bars as a gesture of "hello" to other passing riders...99% of the time, they just look the other way or dont acknowledge....i was fixing a flat a few months ago and a group of 10 riders flew by, not 1 of em asked if i was ok or needed a hand..not that i did, but what does it take to ask??