• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Rate Vermont Mountains

ccskier

Although I lived in VT for 5 years I an only rate in this order for the ones I have visited.

Jay
Stowe
Smuggs
Burke
Bolton
Okemo

I have skied hundreds of days at Stowe and Jay. Having a pass at them I did not ski many other places. I probably will never venture to Killington or the other Southern VT mountains. Don't have any desire to. I will go however if it is a trip for work, that is the only reason I went to Okemo, not with my money. Still have not made it to mrg, it is on my list to hit this year.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I've never skied Jay. I'm sure it's great, but great enough so that all other VT ski areas don't need to be in the conversation?

1) I'm still kind of reeling from my recent seduction by JP, which was only Easter of this year
2) It is great, and it's greatness, like other places, is compounded by some very accesible BC options
3) It's not that all other VT ski areas don't need to be in the converstation, just all other VT ski areas that I've skied don't need to be in the converstation, which only includes Mount Snow, Killington and Okemo... and very, very early season Stowe with Steve and Austin, but that doesn't count because the snow wasn't great (well, it was for early November) and I only made 1 1/2 runs.

Edit: Ok, technically I skied Smuggs too, but just one run after skinning to the top before the lifts started turning.

Greg

Staff member
1) I'm still kind of reeling from my recent seduction by JP, which was only Easter of this year

Here's a newsflash. Most of Northern VT was skiing great during Easter...

skibum1321

3) It's not that all other VT ski areas don't need to be in the converstation, just all other VT ski areas that I've skied don't need to be in the converstation, which only includes Mount Snow, Killington and Okemo... and very, very early season Stowe with Steve and Austin, but that doesn't count because the snow wasn't great (well, it was for early November) and I only made 1 1/2 runs.

Well, that's your problem. You haven't skied Sugarbush, MRG, Stowe and Smuggs.

I wouldn't mention the other 3 mountains in the conversation either.

As for why Jay wasn't higher up on my list, I just am not really a fan of the setup and atmosphere. The trees are really not as great as everyone makes them out to be - Mansfield/Smuggs trees beat them hands down IMO.

Buckeye Skier 1330

Sugarbush- So much and so varied terrain.
Stowe- If I could ski better it might be number one.
Burke - The vibe and the solitude.
MRG- Same as Stowe.
Statton- They do deliver to their target customers.
Okemo- Boring, even for someone from Ohio. Haven't been since Jackson Gore opened.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
As for why Jay wasn't higher up on my list, I just am not really a fan of the setup and atmosphere. The trees are really not as great as everyone makes them out to be - Mansfield/Smuggs trees beat them hands down IMO.
Gotta disagree with Mansfield trees versus Jay trees. Overall, I like Jay's trees better. If you want steep trees then Mansfield does have Jay cooked but steep trees also means the snow doesn't last as long. Jay gets the nod for trees and Stowe gets the nod for above tree line and BC.

As for why Jay isn't tops on most people's lists, other factors are often taken into account such as distance, not being able to day trip, lack of stuff around the mountain, etc. People who ski groomers only will find no love at Jay Peak and the run out on the Tram side and the occasional traverse if you don't plan your day right really do suck. I hated the mountain when I was just getting off the groomers. It can be windy and cold like a bastard, worse than many other mountains. But if you love bumps, trees, and powder and enjoy exploring stuff off the beaten path, it is up there. It isn't a mountain for everyone like Stowe and Sugarbush are... those mountains really do have something for everyone so I wouldn't expect Jay to top out those mountains even though I am partial to Jay for various reasons. Interestingly enough, I actually count the 2k vert off the Quad and Gondi against Stowe whereas that is another thing most people count against Jay: short vertical lifts unless you want to wait two or three Tram cars for the summit.

Any ways... Jay Peak: not a mountain for everyone but full of true believers that the mountain fits perfectly.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Well, that's your problem. You haven't skied Sugarbush, MRG, Stowe and Smuggs.

I wouldn't mention the other 3 mountains in the conversation either.

Well, here's the thing, I have no excuse for not having been to Mad River Valley, that is a problem (just one of several of mine though :dunce:) but Stowe's prices are too expensive, so if I ski there this year, it's only going to be under my own power...

Smuggs I'd consider, especially after touring through the Notch and seeing all the slack country off Sterling that brings you right down onto 108, and the fact you can nearly ski right back to whatever that top parking lot and lift is at the base of Sterling but... if I have to drive all the way around the notch to get to Smuggs, I'm more likely just to spend the extra 15-30 minutes in the car to get to Jay. Of course, if someone were willing to show me around Smuggs, that'd certainly be different ;)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
But if you love bumps, trees, and powder and enjoy exploring stuff off the beaten path, it is up there.
Any ways... Jay Peak: not a mountain for everyone but full of true believers that the mountain fits perfectly.

Yeah. That would be me at this point in my skiing career.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Marc, keep an eye out for Stowe deals. They had two canned good drives last year which made for cheap skiing. I think they occasionally have other specials as well. Certainly worth the effort to make a vacation day for a mid-week special and the canned good days are always worth ponying up the goods. Not sure if there is interest, but Ski VT-l does an annual "club" day where they get discount tickets if enough people to form a "club" commit. Could do the same with AZ. I might be willing to do some leg work for such a project if there is interest. Any ways... point is I have skied there a few times and never paid more than $40 or so.

Certainly no excuse for not getting up to MRG. Do a work day in October.... I guarantee you that it will go to the top of your to do list for this season if it isn't all ready. :) Let me know when you plan to hit it up ;)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You bet Steve. I would like to ski with you more this season. And tour too. I had a blast at Stowe last November even though I had to boot up and I got wicked hypoglycemic and all that. I'm very seriously considering a MRG pass right now. I'll let you know if I pull the trigger.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If you are comparing passes, feel free to bounce any questions my way in the pro- con- department. Mad Cards are always a good deal if you are tentative about the MRG pass and considering other options. That is the route I go but my circumstances are somewhat different in regards to location with MRG being a further distance than my other preferred areas.

prisnah

Gotta disagree with Mansfield trees versus Jay trees. Overall, I like Jay's trees better. If you want steep trees then Mansfield does have Jay cooked but steep trees also means the snow doesn't last as long. Jay gets the nod for trees and Stowe gets the nod for above tree line and BC.

As for why Jay isn't tops on most people's lists, other factors are often taken into account such as distance, not being able to day trip, lack of stuff around the mountain, etc. People who ski groomers only will find no love at Jay Peak and the run out on the Tram side and the occasional traverse if you don't plan your day right really do suck. I hated the mountain when I was just getting off the groomers. It can be windy and cold like a bastard, worse than many other mountains. But if you love bumps, trees, and powder and enjoy exploring stuff off the beaten path, it is up there. It isn't a mountain for everyone like Stowe and Sugarbush are... those mountains really do have something for everyone so I wouldn't expect Jay to top out those mountains even though I am partial to Jay for various reasons. Interestingly enough, I actually count the 2k vert off the Quad and Gondi against Stowe whereas that is another thing most people count against Jay: short vertical lifts unless you want to wait two or three Tram cars for the summit.

You just worded everything I had previously meant to. Jay and Stowe= equals but I had to rank em....Jay=more old school feel...nothin beats the poutine at the end of the day, followed by a cheap tall boy in the lodge. But, also slow lifts....if you hate slow lifts and can't or won't ski powder in trees or out, go to Stowe**....if you want steeps and bad azz bumps and BC don't mind the crowd..go to Stowe....and Stowe does have better apres by
a wide margin...they are really equals...it jst depends on your state of mind.

** Stowe does still get great pow and does have great trees...but Jay's got the 10.0 Stowe pulls in with 9.9 respectively
on the EC meter anyway...EC trees rock over WC BTW

skibum1321

You just worded everything I had previously meant to. Jay and Stowe= equals but I had to rank em....Jay=more old school feel...nothin beats the poutine at the end of the day, followed by a cheap tall boy in the lodge. But, also slow lifts....if you hate slow lifts and can't or won't ski powder in trees or out, go to Stowe**....if you want steeps and bad azz bumps and BC don't mind the crowd..go to Stowe....and Stowe does have better apres by
a wide margin...they are really equals...it jst depends on your state of mind.

** Stowe does still get great pow and does have great trees...but Jay's got the 10.0 Stowe pulls in with 9.9 respectively
on the EC meter anyway...EC trees rock over WC BTW

I would definitely not classify Jay as a mountain with slow lifts - that award certainly goes to Smuggs and MRG. Jay has the Green Mountain Freezer and the Tram. Yes, not every lift is a high speed quad, but they aren't the slowest. I've never really found great bumps at Jay. CanAm tends to bump up, but they are irregular and usually somewhat icy. Powerline and some of the others bump up too, but it's definitely not even in the same league as MRG or Sugarbush for bumps.

skibum1321

Of course, if someone were willing to show me around Smuggs, that'd certainly be different ;)
I would be willing to show you the light sometime this winter. I've got a Bush pass this year, but would certainly be up for going back to Smuggs for a day.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I've never really found great bumps at Jay. CanAm tends to bump up, but they are irregular and usually somewhat icy. Powerline and some of the others bump up too, but it's definitely not even in the same league as MRG or Sugarbush for bumps.
Jay is actually underrated for bumps. U.N. is usually really good. Poma Line is always nice. Show Off and Kitzbeuhel can be nice if there is enough snow. Liftline under the Bonaventure has really nice bumps and off course Can Am but I wouldn't rate Can Am very highly as a bump run. Lots of other natural trails and of course the glades all bump up as well. Certainly MRG and Bush are better overall for bumps but Jay ain't not slouch in that department.