• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will you still ski killington?

Will you still ski killington?

• NO! i'm done.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Yes but i'll cut my days in half

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Yes, same as always

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Yes, but only because they opened first, then move on

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

tcharron

Check that. They seemed to have updated their Web site. A Saturday/Holiday ticket is now $79. :-o

That's just YOUR price Greg. :p

They mentioned something about an 'AlpineZone member penalty fee'

2knees

I will be at K this year more then ever before. Reason being I will have a condo this year. If I don't like what I see this year with powdr..., then I will move on but this year I will give them a good look. I will also spend more time at pico and the MRV.

So Dave, wanna give a your assessement of how powdr did this year?

lol, my first bump. I'm a whore like Greg and Grilledsneeze now.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
So Dave, wanna give a your assessement of how powdr did this year?

lol, my first bump. I'm a whore like Greg and Grilledsneeze now.
1. I really liked how they opened with expert trails only.
2. Loved how they cut down on the crowds
3. Put out more snow.
4. Groomed to much but that could have been from the rain freeze cycle.
5. Should have had the Snowdon Quad open late in the spring.
6. Kids ski school prices where to hi.
7. Did not have a problem with the pass price.

I enjoyed skiing over 30 days there this year...I will be back.

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
For the last five years I have taught there six days for Brit Week and then my duaghter and I skied there a three day weekend to use up the earned passes. As both a skier and more as an instructor I did not like the Skyeship base being closed mid week although it did not effect our weekend.

The poll is flawed as it does not have an option for #.) Will ski there MORE.

By Powdr killing the house share rental demands, the price might drop to where I might be able to get a room for next season and justify teaching there most weekends rather than just six days in Feb.

Geoff

I skied 50-something days at Killington last winter just like I do every year. As a weekend warrior with no kids, virtually everything about their mid-November to mid-April product was as good or better than previous years. The trail rollout reverted back to how Preston Smith did it. No wasting capacity on Snowshed and Rams Head early only to have them melt out multiple times. They made plenty of snow. You can look up on the hill today to see how much they blew. People have been second guessing grooming for the 25 years I've been there. I don't think it was any different. When it thaws and refreezes, they flatten the place. You have some death cookies for a few days. The food still sucks. They didn't fix that. The fixed-grip lifts still stop all the time with poorly trained help that often doesn't speak English very well. They didn't fix that.

The huge improvement was the lack of crowds on weekends and holidays. You could get a seat at the bar in the base lodge. There were rarely lift lines other than at the Gondolas.

There were some moderately annoying things:
* They ran short-staffed compared to previous years. That lean operation really showed when the resort was stressed after ice storms. There were several this year and it took them a long time to de-ice lifts. They wouldn't call in staff to work a Thursday and Friday after a Wednesday ice storm so lifts would be down on Saturday morning.

*They changed so much that they managed to piss off just about everybody about something. I'm at Killington to escape from the rest of my life. The chronic bitching all year was a little bit much. I got to the point where I started telling people to shut the hell up because I was tired of listening to it.

And, finally, the only thing that I'm really upset about is their shortened season. POWDR and Chris Nyberg are the F'ing Grinch but with no signs of the possibility of having a heart. From talking with several former skiing executives who should know, Killington was always profitable running their spring skiing product. It wasn't the profit generated on a holiday week but it made money and created a buzz for the resort that helped sell season passes and day tickets. They used to have a spring season pass promotion and that pass more than funded blowing the base to make June 1. I don't think the new owners understand the brand they bought and have destroyed it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think the new owners understand the brand they bought and have destroyed it.

This from a distance seems to be correct; starting back last summer with the announced plan for the season, followed by reports from the hill. I at least give them credit for being honest. They were up front well in advance about the areas of their operation they intended on drastically cutting.

I'd imagine the crowds will be even less next season.

Sky

I've skied K two or three times. I'm not a fan. I love the access road scene for apre...but I dislike the amount of trail crossings, the lack of places to ski with my wife and daughter without skiing Great Northern which carries so much other traffic, dislike it enough to not be inerested enough to list more reasons..

I would only return because we have extended family with a place up there. They invited us for a late season weekend this year and we opted out. We've gone for New Years twice. Nice friends etc....hate the mountain.

If we go back...prolly make the cruise to the bush instead.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I will most definetly ski Killinton next season, love the place and it's diversity. However, will not buy a season pass. I would, but no telling what kind of shape my wife will be in and I hate to take a change on buying two passes and loosing the money. What I will do instead is save money where I can:

1. Hunter - Big Lift ticket, great deal and if you buy early enough you get a free lift ticket, pays for itself right there.

2. Killington - As cheap as Powdr is, there's still ways to get discount tix, I'll do that

3. SkiVT - Has been a good deal for tix and this includes Killington

4. Ski Club - May look into joining one for the first time if I find one that will offer tix to resorts such as Killington.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good stuff, are there limitations, blackout dates, etc....

billski is on the board and a great source of information regarding the club. From my understanding there are some limitations in terms of total tickets you can purchase per area as well as some black out dates on holidays. Those limitations aren't currently outlined on the website.

For twenty bucks to become a member though, it pays for itself in the first ticket purchase. Kmart tickets through Ace this past season were $38....same for Stowe, Snow, Sugarbush all the major destinations. I believe Pico tickets were $15 and Burke $25.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I've skied K two or three times. I'm not a fan. I love the access road scene for apre...but I dislike the amount of trail crossings, the lack of places to ski with my wife and daughter without skiing Great Northern which carries so much other traffic, dislike it enough to not be inerested enough to list more reasons..

I would only return because we have extended family with a place up there. They invited us for a late season weekend this year and we opted out. We've gone for New Years twice. Nice friends etc....hate the mountain.

If we go back...prolly make the cruise to the bush instead.
Once you learn your way around better, you can avoid taking GN and other trails that get crowed.

mondeo

Just bought my pass for Kmart for next season.

Yes, I'll continue to go back. Still a relatively short drive from CT for good bumps, and a lot of them.

danny p

already bought my pass for next year. 25 days this year, and besides the early closing, probably the best year at K for me. Lack of crowds was a big plus for me. Unless things change drastically for the worse, I'll probably be riding at K for a long time.