• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Clam Chowder

Your favorite clam chowder?

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
Manhattan:
296595.JPG

New England:
clamchowderrecipe.jpg

Or Rhode Island:
mini_7700.jpg

I really do love all three, and it's not an easy decision, but I have to go with New England.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
My Grandfather's first, followed by New England in a close second.

His is based on a clam broth which I guess is closer to Rhode Island? It doesn't look at all like either three, but it's damn tastey.

Greg

Staff member
His is based on a clam broth which I guess is closer to Rhode Island? It doesn't look at all like either three, but it's damn tastey.

Manhattan: clear tomato broth
New England: cream based
Rhode Island: clear broth

Greg

Staff member
Ok, funny how none of really popular versions are based on clam broth. My vote remains unchanged.

Well, clam juice is part of all the recipes, silly. I guess you can consider the others just having "other stuff" too.

bvibert

Staff member
:puke: The crackers are the tastiest thing in all three of those pictures...

Greg

Staff member
:puke: The crackers are the tastiest thing in all three of those pictures...

You're mental, Brian. You don't like coffee and now we learn you don't like clam chowder either?! :blink: Weirdo.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Well, clam juice is part of all the recipes, silly. I guess you can consider the others just having "other stuff" too.

I think there's a fair amount of difference between clam juice and clam broth... unless we're thinking of two very different things when you say clam juice.

Greg

Staff member
I think there's a fair amount of difference between clam juice and clam broth... unless we're thinking of two very different things when you say clam juice.

Clam "juice" is the water used for steaming the clams. Same as broth. It's available in bottles as clam juice.

bvibert

Staff member
You're mental, Brian. You don't like coffee and now we learn you don't like clam chowder either?! :blink: Weirdo.

I've been called worse...

I'll do ya one better, I don't eat any seafood of any kind. Fish, clams, lobster, shrimp, etc.. :puke:

Greg

Staff member
I'll do ya one better, I don't eat any seafood of any kind. Fish, clams, lobster, shrimp, etc.. :puke:

You should probably go see a psychiatrist about that.

;)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Clam "juice" is the water used for steaming the clams. Same as broth. It's available in bottles as clam juice.

I think broth has a slightly wider definition that that. For examply, I know my grandfather uses vegetables to make his broth as well (besides putting vegetables in the finished product) similar to how one would make a chicken broth.

Greg

Staff member
I think broth has a slightly wider definition that that. For examply, I know my grandfather uses vegetables to make his broth as well (besides putting vegetables in the finished product) similar to how one would make a chicken broth.

I think you're overanalyzing it. I guess clam juice could be compared to chicken stock, but in the case of chowder as well as chicken soup, they become "broth" once you add the other junk to them.

ccskier

Actually just got back from lunch, had New England Clam Chowder, love the stuff. Fortunate to live in an area where some of the best around it: Molly's Restaruant, Captain Parkers, Clancy's of Denniport (where I ate lunch), all in Yarmouth and Dennis, MA

hammer

I like both Manhattan and New England but prefer New England. Never had Rhode Island style.

I'm currently having some clam chowder in a bread bowl...good stuff...

Grassi21

All are good. But I voted for NE. Its the norm up on the Cape.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I think you're overanalyzing it. I guess clam juice could be compared to chicken stock, but in the case of chowder as well as chicken soup, they become "broth" once you add the other junk to them.

Pssssst: pot, this is kettle.... you're black too. :D