• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bear Mountain - 5/19/2002

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Hiked: Sunday, May 19, 2002. 8:15 AM - 11:30 AM

Trails(s) Hiked: Under Mountain, A.T., Paradise Lane

Total Distance: 6.7 miles

Difficulty: From easy to moderately difficult while descending Bear, but it's only a half mile of steeps

Conditions: Partly Sunny & Cool; Trails were wet, but nothing unexpected for this time of year.

Special Required Equipment: The usual...nothing unique

Trip Report: We planned on doing an up-and-back to Bear via Under Mountain, but decided on doing the loop via the A.T. to Paradise Lane. The trails were muddy and wet in spots and we noticed snow in the woods about half way up Under Mountain. The snow depths off the AT while ascending Bear were probably upwards to 2-3 inches.

The summit was cool and breezy. Felt more like a March day than towards the end of May. After a snack break on the summit, we descended the North side of Bear via the A.T. In all my visits to the area, I've never been on this portion of the A.T. Nice quick descent and very reminiscent of bigger New England mountains further North.

Once we arrived at the top of Sages Ravine, we hopped on Paradise Lane to get back to Under Mountain. First time on this trail as well. It's very flat, but it's a wonderful trail - very scenic.

The trails were pretty busy as we saw a number of dayhikers and backpackers. Overall a great hike and a little more interesting that the typical up-and-back I'm used to.

View IMAGES.