• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow in the Mountains

Terry

I was just reading on the SR chat site that it was spitting snow at Jordan Bowl this morning!

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
What is rime?

foreheadtrailhead-2006-0921a.jpg

Tin Woodsman

Essentially freezing fog. It results in ice building up on surfaces.

Not really. Freezing fog is freezing fog. If you get lots of clouds in upper elevations during the winter, that's essentially freezing fog. This freezing fog sticks to everything be it man-made or natural. It results in the build-up of and icy mantle on trees. This is known as rime, or rime ice. The elevation at which this phenomenon kicks in is known as the rime line, and is one of the reasons why the higher elevation trees seem so much whiter at the ski areas and in the mountains of central and northern New England.

Pictures from the Mt. Washington Observatory of some bldg or another routinely show 6-12" of rime ice on the leee side of said structure.

kbroderick

Hopefully there will be a bunch more tomorrow. From the looks of it there will be. Still not enough to ski on though. Darn.

I disagree. A friend and I snuck out of patrol refresher at lunch (with the intent of being back for the first afternoon session--an intent that did turn out to be optimistic in hindsight), and we managed to ski from the top of Upper Fanny Hill to the bottom here at Bolton Valley.

20071014_MG_0823.jpg

20071014_MG_0801.jpg

The cover got rather thin from about midway to the bottom.

20071014_MG_0838.jpg

20071014_MG_0848.jpg

Greg

Staff member
Not really. Freezing fog is freezing fog. If you get lots of clouds in upper elevations during the winter, that's essentially freezing fog. This freezing fog sticks to everything be it man-made or natural. It results in the build-up of and icy mantle on trees. This is known as rime, or rime ice. The elevation at which this phenomenon kicks in is known as the rime line, and is one of the reasons why the higher elevation trees seem so much whiter at the ski areas and in the mountains of central and northern New England.

Pictures from the Mt. Washington Observatory of some bldg or another routinely show 6-12" of rime ice on the leee side of said structure.

Sorry. I guess I should have said a result of freezing fog.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Saturday am the summit of K and pico had lots of rime but the rain fell hard Sat night...hoped for some snow but the temps were around 37. Still nice and cold...felt great!!

ERJ-145CA

Well it wasn't snow in the mountains but it was snowing at 17,000 feet as I was flying from Cleveland to Toronto. It's not unusual this time of year but it was the first time I saw it since the spring and it got me and my first officer stoked (he skis too).

bvibert

Staff member
I disagree. A friend and I snuck out of patrol refresher at lunch (with the intent of being back for the first afternoon session--an intent that did turn out to be optimistic in hindsight), and we managed to ski from the top of Upper Fanny Hill to the bottom here at Bolton Valley.

20071014_MG_0823.jpg

20071014_MG_0801.jpg

The cover got rather thin from about midway to the bottom.

20071014_MG_0838.jpg

20071014_MG_0848.jpg

Good stuff! Looks a little thin, does that still count as first turns?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
OK, I went, I searched, I found. We went hiking in the Adirondacks again, this time we hit Gothics, and we found some snow. :snow:

This was the first bit :daffy:

IMG_0333.jpg

And then some more:

IMG_0338.jpg

And more:

IMG_0340.jpg

By now Vee is throwing snowballs at me! :)

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg