• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you do with your poles on the chair?

Breakout12

Plus they help when you're pushing off (provided that you're holding them right - grabbing on top of the strap, instead of under... Grabbing under is a good way to break your thumb)

Which is why the moulded grips are awesome. They craddle the hand better and provide a much larger and more stable and comfortable pushing surface. I agree with Nick. I don't like straps, and prefer that my equipment not stay attached to me in the event of a fall. ;)

BenedictGomez

Which is why the moulded grips are awesome. They craddle the hand better and provide a much larger and more stable and comfortable pushing surface. I agree with Nick. I don't like straps, and prefer that my equipment not stay attached to me in the event of a fall. ;)

I'm a strap-hater too, that's why I bought Leki.

Before the Leki poles, I had a pair of molded grips that were massive, and looked like the hand guard on a medievil sword. They were about 12 years old and that style is generally considered "uncool" so I didnt have any fear of leaving them with my locked skis at Jay Peak. Stolen.

Cheese

I don't understand why you guys need straps at all. What is the point?

I wear them the way shown in the video when racing. For a strong start out of the gate, there is no question that a properly adjusted strap around the wrist is stronger than just a tight grip on the handle or even 4 fingers through those 80s molded grips (yes, I rocked them for quite a number of years before I knew better).

Outside of the race course it's unlikely you keep a strong grip on the handles so the straps are there in case your pole finds a minor snag that removes it from your hand. Could be a basket tapping a tree, perhaps a pole plant that goes deeper than expected or even just a momentary lapse of concentration while pushing that could cause you to leave a pole behind. If you're skiing trees with only 4 fingers through the straps you can recover the pole from minor tugs but any strong tug will rip it from your hand to save your shoulder.

Visually, if you're trying to present a look that you know what you're doing, dangling pole straps are distracting from that. Much like a gap above your goggles, one or more pant legs above the boot or perhaps a dangling boot power strap. Molded grips have that trapped in a decade look that go best with 205cm Olin skis, Raichle rear entry boots, CB pants with built in nylon gators, a brightly colored ear warmer and Vuarnet sunglasses with the leather powder guards. Ooh baby that was a look!

steamboat1

I blame moulded grips for tearing my rotator cuff years ago. I'll never use them again.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
I blame moulded grips for tearing my rotator cuff years ago. I'll never use them again.

I broke a broke a bone in the "snuff box" area of my hand at Grand Targhee. I took a friend there one time and the rental poles with the molded grips were too short for her so I let her use mine and I used the rentals. The surgeon in Jackson advised it was the grip that caused the injury and that he and other surgeons strongly suggested not to use them. I got the injury from a fall when my hand slammed a patch of ice. I know...ice at GT.....it was late spring and the freeze thaw thing was going on.

HD333

What are these poles you speak of???

When I do ski I sit on them, basket in. Most of the time I hold my daughters poles mainly so I do not have to conduct a search and rescue mission when she eventually drops them.

catskillman

I apologize if this has already been discussed - tread is too long to read

It drives me crazy when people get off the lift with their poles in each hand. This results in less room and they muscle the person on both sides out of their way as their arms are bent and out. Granted only about 10% of folks due this but it is a problem for kids especially as an adult's elbow often winds up in their face.

I know Instructers teach this......

BenedictGomez

It drives me crazy when people get off the lift with their poles in each hand. This results in less room and they muscle the person on both sides out of their way as their arms are bent and out. Granted only about 10% of folks due this but it is a problem for kids especially as an adult's elbow often winds up in their face.

I know Instructers teach this

Probably because it's the correct way.

And only 10% of skiers do this? Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd put it considerably higher (70%?).

catskillman

10% have a pole in each hand getting off the lift I believe - you think it is 70%?

Wow! Where do you ski that you see that.

Cheese

I know Instructers teach this......

Where do they teach this? I've always seen it the opposite where it's taught to sit back and hang onto the chair up until it's time to stand up.

BenedictGomez

Where do they teach this? I've always seen it the opposite where it's taught to sit back and hang onto the chair up until it's time to stand up.

Hang onto the chair? Whaaaaa?

I was taught to have a pole in each hand like Catskillman said, and to stand when the skis hit the ground. You rise up, you're now in skiing position. Seems logical. I cant see a reason why you wouldnt want to already have your poles in skiing condition.

gmcunni

if i'm alone on the chair i strap into my poles an just ski off the lift. of there are others i usually hold the poles in 1 hand and push off from the chair with the other. if my good friends are with me i'll use my free hand to push them so they fall and get embarrassed.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't recall what instructors told me but I was taught as cheese says both poles in one hand and other hand on the chair back. I do it like that to this day , helps push off the chair to clear it when it makes then turn on the bull wheel. This is way more important on a fixed grip lift where it maintains its speed vs a detachable.

catskillman

To clear the confusion -

Poles should both be in 1 hand !! If you have a pole in each hand you naturally put your arms out and muscle the other folks out of the way. It is bad if there is a mix of heights - I have seen many kids get hit in the head with an elbow getting off the lift.

Interestingly this weekend I saw an instructor in the lift line with both poles tucked under his arm with the points sticking out in the guy behind him face. The guy said something and he did not seen to get it. hmmmmmmm

witch hobble

I think that you are taught to have them in one hand and not in use so that you don't trip yourself or your fellow passengers with a poorly placed pole plant as you unload. That is about as close as you will ski to another person all day, don't want to cause a scene and make the lift stop.

Cheese

Hang onto the chair? Whaaaaa?

I was taught to have a pole in each hand like Catskillman said, and to stand when the skis hit the ground. You rise up, you're now in skiing position. Seems logical. I cant see a reason why you wouldnt want to already have your poles in skiing condition.

Doesn't seem logical at all. The unload area is down hill and a skier should never need to push or plant a pole to turn when exiting the chair. Therefore if the poles have no purpose during unloading, why not keep the primary focus on the chair intact which was quite simply not falling out. Sitting back and holding onto the chair keeps the skier in a safer position should the the chair emergency stop or strike the station due to an unbalanced chair or gust of wind.