• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you do with your poles on the chair?

BenedictGomez

The unload area is down hill and a skier should never need to push or plant a pole to turn when exiting the chair.Therefore if the poles have no purpose during unloading, why not keep the primary focus on the chair intact which was quite simply not falling out. Sitting back and holding onto the chair keeps the skier in a safer position should the the chair emergency stop or strike the station due to an unbalanced chair or gust of wind.

True, but I really dont see the benefit in holding the chair either. I also dont "chicken wing" people to my left and right by holding 2 poles as someone else described above, and I dont think that motion seems natural at all. Whether to hold 1 or 2 polls probably isnt the most critical thing to begin with, but I'd rather just be ready as soon as I get off the lift. Also, since I switched to Leki trigger polls a few years ago, I attach as soon as I'm safely boarded on the lift now, so they're de facto in 2 hands.

Lastly, a few people mentioned they "push" the chair? I've never in my life done this. I allow the chair to gently push me and I'm gone. If that's wrong, I've departed a chair wrong my entire life without any ill effects to myself or others. :dontknow:

drjeff

True, but I really dont see the benefit in holding the chair either. I also dont "chicken wing" people to my left and right by holding 2 poles as someone else described above, and I dont think that motion seems natural at all. Whether to hold 1 or 2 polls probably isnt the most critical thing to begin with, but I'd rather just be ready as soon as I get off the lift. Also, since I switched to Leki trigger polls a few years ago, I attach as soon as I'm safely boarded on the lift now, so they're de facto in 2 hands.

Lastly, a few people mentioned they "push" the chair? I've never in my life done this. I allow the chair to gently push me and I'm gone. If that's wrong, I've departed a chair wrong my entire life without any ill effects to myself or others. :dontknow:

If one needs to push themselves away from the chair as they're unloading (and the wind isn't blowing 50mph directly in their face ;) :eek: ) then it's quite likely that they're either on a chair that mainly services beginner terrain where by design the lift ops folks/chair manufacturers DON'T want the lower level customers having to negotiate a steep ramp and the likely crash that would result, or folks are just standing up too quickly and not simply letting the chair "push" you down the unloading ramp. Most chairs, fixed grip or detachable, I just stand up (usually after everyone else) and let the chair push me down the ramp and then depending on the pitch (or sometimes lack there of) of the unloading area, I might use my poles to help me quickly clear the general loading area. I keep my poles with their wrists straps on ready to go for about 99% of my unloads (the occasional ride with a young child who might need some help unloading being the exception)

BenedictGomez

I just stand up and let the chair push me down the ramp....... I keep my poles with their wrists straps on ready to go for about 99% of my unloads

Yup, this is exactly how I learned. I wonder if this is a stylistic thing that has changed over the years? FWIW, I learned in the mid-80s (1986).

How did you get a picture of my friend, lol.:thumbup::)

I had a feeling it as him!

Cheese

Yup, this is exactly how I learned. I wonder if this is a stylistic thing that has changed over the years? FWIW, I learned in the mid-80s (1986).

Could be, as I learned a bit earlier when mid stations were more prevalent and I can imagine that a short lapse in attention could snap a set of poles off on a mid station in a heartbeat when dangling them in this manner.

What do you do when loading? Hold them by the handles and point the tips up the mountain?

Here again, I learned and taught kids to have a hand free to grab the chair when loading. Watching them boost themselves up and slide back was scary enough without them trying to do it with their hands full.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
If one needs to push themselves away from the chair as they're unloading (and the wind isn't blowing 50mph directly in their face ;) :eek: ) then it's quite likely that they're either on a chair that mainly services beginner terrain where by design the lift ops folks/chair manufacturers DON'T want the lower level customers having to negotiate a steep ramp and the likely crash that would result, or folks are just standing up too quickly and not simply letting the chair "push" you down the unloading ramp. Most chairs, fixed grip or detachable, I just stand up (usually after everyone else) and let the chair push me down the ramp and then depending on the pitch (or sometimes lack there of) of the unloading area, I might use my poles to help me quickly clear the general loading area. I keep my poles with their wrists straps on ready to go for about 99% of my unloads (the occasional ride with a young child who might need some help unloading being the exception)

Ordinarily I'd agree, but I was at Wildcat on Fri, and their chair is so slow loading and unloading, that you need to push yourself away.

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Bringing back a dead thread but its a good one....

When im sitting next to a hottie I simply say: "Can you please hold my poles for a second, a need a free hand to take down your number." This is usually when her boyfriend/husband I didnt notices grabs them and tosses them off the lift......

Greg

Staff member
The new MRG Single chair thread kinda inspired this thought-provoking and truly intriguing thread idea. What do you do with your poles on the lift? Normally, I'll slip them under my right leg as I load the chair and sort of half sit on them on the way up. You?

2knees was busting my balls about this thread today, but this is very important.....so much so that I decided to take a pic today...lol
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2016-03-09 15.54.56.jpg
    2016-03-09 15.54.56.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 265

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Find a set of 1980 Scott grips and move them to new poles every few years, You split the grip and hang em on the safety bar.
Had a young teenager exclaim "Cool " on Friday when he saw me do it at Blue. Where did you get those?

chuckstah

Had those Scott grips years ago til the cannon double mid station took them out.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Had those Scott grips years ago til the cannon double mid station took them out.

I go to Tent sales and buy poles with the same diameter as the grips. Pull off the old ones , chuck the tips in my cordless drill and hold a piece of sandcloth and crank it on . Takes the old paint off and gives a nice finish . Put the grips on and good for a few years.
Incredibly the rubber is like new even after all these years.

chuckstah

Wish i thought to save them but it was 20 or more years ago. Ill have to look for an old pair

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
i did that until the mid station offload ramp bent them both

I lost a pair also back when K had the goofy South ridge mid station that changed direction, surprised no one got neck injuries. I got rid of them but got a miss mathched pair ( yellow /Black ) when the ski shop I worked for tossed them out.
Only downside is there tough on gloves .n

I don't know of any midstations in Pa. so I'm safe down here.