• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nov 17 openings not looking so hot already....

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadheadskier

Staff member
good luck with that request Greg. I and several others are still waiting for his response as to how many times he's skied Magic. I actually asked twice...

Snowman is very elusive at dodging questions for certain

snoseek

good luck with that request Greg. I and several others are still waiting for his response as to how many times he's skied Magic. I actually asked twice...

maybe should consider politics.

Greg

Staff member

I'm waiting for the threat to leave; only to return after a 12 hour sabbatical... :roll:

hammer

OK, I'm not going to try to read all of the :argue: and :flame::uzi: on this thread, but IIRC a few years ago we had a short stretch of subfreezing temps in November (about a week or so?) and with that Crotched was able to open up a few trails in time for Thanksgiving with plenty of coverage. I think it was seasonably warm up through early November...actually, it's been several years since Halloween has been cold (as a parent, I think I would remember if the kids had to bundle up for trick or treat).

We're overdue for a pattern shift to cooler/colder weather...while the warmer weather we've been having lately can be discouraging, I just think back to last year where we were cursing the warmth to mid January and then we got the persistent cold followed by some serious dumps.

Am I saying any of this because I have any knowledge of weather patterns? No...I just don't like to be pessimistic, especially since we still have the entire season head of us. :snow:

Greg

Staff member
OK, I'm not going to try to read all of the :argue: and :flame::uzi: on this thread...

Why not? That's about the only thing worth reading in this thread...

RIDEr

Website
www.hobokenskiclub.com
I'm praying the farmers almanac is true... UNFORTUNATELY, they were true last year...

Cloudy Skies, New England (Ski Press)-The famous Farmers’ Almanac long-range weather forecast is calling for a long, cold, snowy winter in areas east of the Mississippi River, with New England and the Upper Mid-Atlantic taking the brunt of Old Man Winter’s fury.

According to the Almanac, "Anyone who enjoys the low, rolling mountains of the Northeast knows there is no better skiing east of the Mississippi than in Vermont’s many unspoiled peaks. With heavy snow predicted for much of the season, and average temperatures up to 3 degrees colder than normal, Vermont, and nearby resorts in New Hampshire and Maine, will be the place to be this winter. New York’s Catskill and Adirondack ranges, as well as the Poconos and Laurel Mountains in Pennsylvania, will also see some fabulous skiing weather this season. Across New England and the Mid Atlantic, heavy snow in early December and over Christmas will be perfect for skiing holidays. Cold temperatures and light flurries throughout the next few months, coupled several days of heavy snowfall at the end of January, should keep the slopes covered with the white stuff throughout the season."

snowman

Okay. I stand corrected. They do indeed have two different data sets. This still doesn't diminish the fact that you're using weather.com ( :blink: ) to determine what to "expect for skiing over the next month." So I will pose the question again in case you missed it the first time:

Thanks for owning up on your error that everyone was willing to take at face value to the point of hollering "you got owned". That's more than I can say for some people here. If you're gonna tell someone they got owned, atleast make sure you have the first clue what you're talking about....Geeesh :blink:

I also wasn't quoting weather.com as the gospel. I was basically stating that at a glance, things are not looking good at all for the next 10 days, which, when considering snowmaking, means things are basically not looking good for the next 20 days. You can slam different weather services all you want...but one is not going to be telling you it's beach weather, while another is telling you that you can make snow.

If you can present something tangible beyond just being an arrogant shmoe with very little ability to self-analyze, then we surly will all bow down to your greatness.

I'm actually not much for tooting my own horn to be honest. I only start pissing and ranting when faced with extreme stupidity on a topic I actually DO know something about. On snowmaking? Let's just say I'm 34 and have arthritis in my hands to the point that I can barely drive my motorcycle without a lot of pain. If you REALLY know anything about snowmaking, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Thanks for owning up or your error that everyone was willing to take at face value to the point of hollering "you got owned". That's more than I can say for some people here. If you're gonna tell someone they got owned, atleast make sure you have the first clue what you're talking about....Geeesh :blink:

I also wasn't quoting weather.com as the gospel. I was basically stating that at a glance, things are not looking good at all for the next 10 days, which, when considering snowmaking, means things are basically not looking good for the next 20 days. You can slam different weather services all you want...but one is not going to be telling you it's beach weather, while another is telling you that you can make snow.

I'm actually not much for tooting my own horn to be honest. I only start pissing and ranting when faced with extreme stupidity on a topic I actually DO know something about. On snowmaking? Let's just say I'm 34 and have arthritis in my hands to the point that I can barely drive my motorcycle without a lot of pain. If you REALLY know anything about snowmaking, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Too bad your arthritis doesn't prevent you from typing....We'd all be a lot happier.

snowman

I skiied magic around the late 80's. No point responding to that question because I'm just going to get a lot of "well you don't know the NEW magic". The "new" magic, is the exact same Magic I skiied, only more run down. Pictures tell 1000 words.

millerm277

I skiied magic around the late 80's. No point responding to that question because I'm just going to get a lot of "well you don't know the NEW magic". The "new" magic, is the exact same Magic I skiied, only more run down. Pictures tell 1000 words.

In that case, what does actually being there tell, 1000000 words?

rob56789

Damn snowman ur a real internet badass i'd love to see how you actually ask in real life.
BTW way to dodge gregs question again. Can give us a real answer for us non snow makers who havent been blessed with your worldly knowledge

snowman

OK, I'm not going to try to read all of the :argue: and :flame::uzi: on this thread, but IIRC a few years ago we had a short stretch of subfreezing temps in November (about a week or so?) and with that Crotched was able to open up a few trails in time for Thanksgiving with plenty of coverage. I think it was seasonably warm up through early November...actually, it's been several years since Halloween has been cold (as a parent, I think I would remember if the kids had to bundle up for trick or treat).

We're overdue for a pattern shift to cooler/colder weather...while the warmer weather we've been having lately can be discouraging, I just think back to last year where we were cursing the warmth to mid January and then we got the persistent cold followed by some serious dumps.

Am I saying any of this because I have any knowledge of weather patterns? No...I just don't like to be pessimistic, especially since we still have the entire season head of us. :snow:

Crotched could do that. They have monster snowmaking power and short trails. Sure they'll get thermal melt from blowing on unfrozen ground, but they freeze/thaw so much, and blow so much snow I swear they use every drop of water in their ecosystem 3 times a winter. You'ld have to cover 4-6 trails at crotched to cover the area the Loaf has to cover to get one open off the Superquad.

snowman

Damn snowman ur a real internet badass i'd love to see how you actually ask in real life.
BTW way to dodge gregs question again. Can give us a real answer for us non snow makers who havent been blessed with your worldly knowledge

I worked for 4 years full time in the early 90's at a resort in almost every dept and know enough about snowmaking to have designed 2 commercial guns and several home units. My hands ache, because snowmakers end up with wet gloves and frozen hands. If you do that long enough, you f#$k your hands up. The latter is probably the main reason I get angered when I get told how snow is made by some idiot sitting in toasty office in his mommies house looking at a snowmaking chart on backyardblizzard.com!

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I worked for 4 years full time in the early 90's at a resort in almost every dept and know enough about snowmaking to have designed 2 commercial guns and several home units. My hands ache, because snowmakers end up with wet gloves and frozen hands. If you do that long enough, you f#$k your hands up. The latter is probably the main reason I get angered when I get told how snow is made my some idiot sitting in toasty office in his mommies house looking at a snowmaking chart on backyardblizzard.com!

You're the man, snowman! Is this where you also did the books for the ski areas and came up with the financial resources to own three companies like you do today and pay off your lawyers and accounts with cars so that you don't have to pay taxes?

You're right snowman. You don't toot your own horn. You pay someone to toot the horn that you invented for you.

All of us idiots who argue with you should be so grateful and feel blessed for your vast knowledge instead of arguing with you because you come across as an arrogant blowhard 99% of the time.

snoseek

I still say the loaf has at least 2 distinct runs off the superquad by nov. 17, maybe more.

edit- i guess that explains the name snowman.

snowman

I still say the loaf has at least 2 distinct runs off the superquad by nov. 17, maybe more.

edit- i guess that explains the name snowman.

I can't see it unless we have a decent snow event and/or the deep freeze settles in HARD Nov.1. Right now, It's lookin like they'll be lucky to get Tote off the Superquad open (like last year) and then they'd go over and cover the Boardwalk under the Double Runner and Spillway for some early season CVA training. They don't have enough production capacity to get more than that done unless it goes REALLY, REALLY cold Nov. 1. If temperatures are bad, and they're really gung ho to go, the rumor was they were going to upload/download to Timberline from the Superquad.

Come now now guys .. Snowman is the "intellectual" GrilledSteezeSandwich with the same added entertainment value on the forum. He is as prolific poster as GSS is now. States his opinion no matter whom he offends in the process. GSS could be a younger version of Snowman in the making.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think comparing GSS to snowman is a severe disservice to GSS. GSS goes off on some fine tangents and types up some beauts.... but is no where near as insulting and confrontational. Sometimes I seriously wonder why some people even bother if they get so annoyed by other people....

Status
Not open for further replies.