• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Trip to Utah This Season.

tirolerpeter

First Utah trip of the season is on for my buddy Bobby and me! We will be doing the JET BLUE thing to SLC from 6 through 11 Dec. Gotta unpack my boards from the last trip west in March.

ChileMass

Have fun, guy - say Hi to Snow Basin for me.......take a couple runs in Strawberry Bowl for me, too.......love that place.....

tirolerpeter

Utah Ski Trip

Dave...enjoy Alta and Snowbird, but if you don't have some sort of lift package that restricts you to those two (and you have a car) do yourself a favor and check out Snow Basin. BTW... Bobby and I will also try to hit Powder Mountain in Dec. I hope the natural snow has kicked in big time by then!

TP

jimme

Re: Utah Ski Trip

tirolerpeter said:
Dave...enjoy Alta and Snowbird. . . I hope the natural snow has kicked in big time by then!
TP

I'd say it has already kicked in! Have you been to Alta's Web Site? I might be off a couple of inches, but I think that they currently have 54" at mid-mountain and have received 83"* so far this season!!! :eek: :D :eek: :D

Jimme

* That's the amount at mid-mountain when I went in March '03. This might be a record breaking year there.

tirolerpeter

Jimme I have been tracking Alta and it is snowing so hard that the road up the canyon is closed due to avalanch danger. We are really psyched!

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
yea, I've got 2 inches in the Yard now & it's still dropping strong, and I live much lower than the canyon:)

i think i'll be boarding at brighton this weekend.

oh.. my apologies - i miss you all, really!!

First Tracks

Website
www.FirstTracksOnline.com
tirolerpeter said:
Dave you can go backcountry at Snow Basin too. Just head out one of the gates.

Better still, head 15 minutes north of Snowbasin to Powder Mountain. 500 inches per year, plus higher elevation than the lower reaches of Snowbasin and a better exposure (Snowbasin gets a lot of sun). 5,500 acres (bigger than Vail) and no one there to have to share it with. The "bus runs" and the "snowcat runs" (if you call getting towed behind a snowmobile for $5 a snowcat run) make for phenomenal sidecounty.

For a full feature article, click here. Really, Pow Mow isn't something to miss.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
I think we'll be sticking close to SLC and Cottonwood. No point in going any further from the place we're staying. The skiing up there is the best Utah has to offer, IMO. If we had more time we might head up to Snowbasin but why drive?

The backcountry we'll be skiing involves skinning up, not using lifts, and my local host knows where he wants to take us. It will mostly be dictated by avy danger and skill levels. Thanks for the advice,

-dave-