• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are we in for a repeat of Nov-Jan 2006-07?

Greg

Staff member
0.5 Month Outlook for Nov-Dec-Jan 2007-08
off01_temp.gif

I was hoping for a stronger start this season, but if Feb-Apr 2008 is similar to this past season, I'll try to remain patient.

Zand

Above normal is one thing. Last December and early January is a whole different world. 74 degrees on January 6th isn't just above normal. If that happens again...

MRGisevil

Greg- weren't you the one quoting Twain? If you don't like the weather just wait a few minutes?

Just wait a few minutes, it's early yet ;)

Greg

Staff member
Greg- weren't you the one quoting Twain? If you don't like the weather just wait a few minutes?

Just wait a few minutes, it's early yet ;)

Of course. And I'm forever the optimist; just go search a few posts from this time last year. Just trying to spark some discussion. I'm not a firm believer in longer term forecasts, and like HPD said, it is what it is. Just fun to speculate this time of year.

cbcbd

to worry about it seems like a wast of energy. It will be what it will be.
Yep
Keep it simple. Just go where the snow is.
Yep

It's hard to ignore the lack of snow... but then again I can't even remember the last time I had a white Xmas around these parts (a real white, not frost on the grass). So... we'll just have to wait and see - we did have some excellent storms late last year...

But we just have to accept the NE reality... that we probably won't have any real snow skiing until after December anymore.

ajl50

yea...i have to say that above normal and the start of last winter are two totally different things.
Then again I'd be willing to take a nov-jan being like last year if mid jan-april is like last year also.

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Upcoming season

I'm the eternal optimist (I see the glass as 5/8 full) but last year certainly put a crimp in my optimism. The ski industry can ill afford a repeat of what we experienced in the early part of last season.

Climatic change doesn't happen overnight. It's a gradual trend over decades and centuries. We can have unseasonably warm weather one season and epic cold and snow the next but anyone who thinks global warming is a fiction is deluding themselves. The present day trends are discouraging.

A long time ago I spent nine years in the field of meteorology in the Air Force, in college, and in broadcasting. I taught introductory meteorology and climatology at the University of South Florida and spent 3 1/2 years as an on air weatherman at Channel 8 (WFLA-TV NBC) in Tampa. I finally got around to watching Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth. The guy may be in serious need of a charisma transplant but there's no arguing with his conclusions. I just hope my new grandson won't have to learn about skiing from history books.

JimG.

Staff member
Yes!

But this year will be Nov-Jan 07/08.

I believe that Nov-Jan comes around every year. Check the calendar.

Because I know you aren't talking about the weather.