• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Late October Snowmaking?

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
how's the skiing out there? they still blowing snow?

Pretty good. It goes back and forth between packed powder and compacted spring snow, depending on the day and the previous night's snowmaking.

Guns are still roaring away. Had a couple of days they blew straight through I think we had one good 36 hour run. Mostly just nights, though. But our lows have consistently been in the mid teens for about two weeks now.

snoseek

Pretty good. It goes back and forth between packed powder and compacted spring snow, depending on the day and the previous night's snowmaking.

Guns are still roaring away. Had a couple of days they blew straight through I think we had one good 36 hour run. Mostly just nights, though. But our lows have consistently been in the mid teens for about two weeks now.

Nice! i'm packing my stuff now. Hit the road in a week.

snowman

I'm skiing out there Dec 3-10. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to fly out, or drive out and tow my 32 foot boat... so I can get angry at the stupid poor people working in the toll booths. :lol:

Greg

Staff member
I would just like to mention that this thread is now the 15th most popular in the skiing forums (based on # of replies). I just knew I was on to something here.

Highway Star

The Loaf ground away with so-so temps for days last year only to lose it all and have to start again. That landed them up at well over 100 hours of up time in the snowmaking plants before they opened. The relevance is some fool was saying you could open Tote road with 30 hours of snowmaking. Yeah, maybe, if it's 0F out for 30 hours straight, and even that would be a stretch. I said it'll take them 60 hours of snowmaking with temps hovering around 20 (the BEST forecast right now), and even that is a conservative figure if you look to years past and the ways of the weather. Does that tie it all together for you?

ROFL......again, more proof that you are full of it, and yourself.

EVERYBODY made snow last year and lost it....DUH. EVERY major resort. The first weekend in November.

I'm looking at my pictures of Sugarloaf from 11/21/07 last year, at around 1pm on a Tuesday. That afternoon, it was pretty cold and they had guns running all the way up and down Tote Road, plus a couple other trails next to it and above it. K2000's, Rangers and other tower guns. I'm guessing around 60-100 guns, from what I count in the pictures. If you assume 80 guns, at a flow rate of 40 gpm each, that's 3200 gpm. Could be more could be less...it's just an estimate. Did they have enough compressor capacity...at 200 scfm per gun, that would be 16000 scfm....maybe, maybe not....maybe they didn't need that. Anyway, at around 3,000 gpm, it would take around 35 hours to make 35 acre feet of snow, the low side of my estimate for the amount of snow they made on tote road.

Killington fired up their guns down to the K-1 base at around 6pm on that previous Sunday 11/19. I know because we were there watching them do it. They had been making snow higher up a bit previously. Anyway, I don't find it hard to belive that Sugarloaf started some time that weekend (fri-sat), and officially opened monday afternoon, after about 2 or 3 days of snowmaking. They probably got in their best production on sunday night and monday night.

Anyway, stop making it sound like they had to make snow for a week to open Tote road. That's PURE BS. It was 2-3 days at most. If you have any REAL info, please post it up. Otherwise, stop spewing your BS.

snowman

Where are you skiing?

It's up in the air. We were originally going to fly into Gunnison and ski at the Butte and around there, but we couldn't get 2 seats into Gunnison (really small plane). Got tickets for Denver, gonna maybe do something around there for a day or 2, then maybe do the Butte or something else for 3 or 4 days and come back and do 1 more day near Denver on the day before leaving. Probably just hit up whoever has the best product available. If anyone else is heading out. rental cars are dirt cheap on Expedia for that week right now. Just booked a full size for under $150 all in.