• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Legit Gear Swap Forum

prisnah

I think we need a legit gear swap forum. I know there is a gear forum, but we should set something up for getting rid of all gear/buying all types of gear; be it skis, binders, helmets, gloves, poles, etc.

Every other ski forum has a dedicated gear swap, why are we lagging?

If I'm wrong and just can't find it, call me an ahole and point me in the right direction.

Seems like this forum is lacking compared to epic and TGR in that regard.

Is it just due to site traffic?

thetrailboss

Staff member
We actually only added the Gear Forum a couple years ago, and it has slowly gained in popularity. That said, there have been some purchases and sales on that board.

prisnah

Yes, there have been some, but I suspect it would happen more if there was a dedicated gear swap. Tough for people to sell their gear when their thread gets hidden between forum topics like "post pics of your quiver" and announcements for sales on gear. Tough to wade through all that if you just wanna buy or sell something. Not to mention, it almost seems as if some people are trying to sell for profit. Just IMO.

Greg

Staff member
Yes, there have been some, but I suspect it would happen more if there was a dedicated gear swap.

I'm a firm believer in creating an additional forum if the need is there, not creating one hoping to increase the need. With that said, I don't think there are enough threads like this to warrant a separate forum.

Grassi21

I'm a firm believer in creating an additional forum if the need is there, not creating one hoping to increase the need. With that said, I don't think there are enough threads like this to warrant a separate forum.

I don't have a stance on creating a forum or not But personally, I would encourage regular AZers to post items for sale. I know almost all of you guys are ahead of me on the learning curve. I would consider buying up some used gear as I try to catch up. The thing that bugs me is when random people sign up for AZ for the sole purpose selling chit.

prisnah

Fair enuff. You have swayed me, although I do think more AZer's should be selling gear here. Everyone goes to gear swaps on this forum it seems, and I've always found much better deals through forums, plus you don't hafta deal with crowds and getting there crazy early before everything is gone.

Oh well, just a thought, figured I'd throw it out there. Maybe one of these days enough AZer's will be selling gear on forum to justify the creation of a dedicated gear swap.

Thanks for entertaining my idea however.

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for entertaining my idea however.

Absolutely! Thanks for the suggestion. Many early AZers helped shape the forums/site with their ideas so I'm always open to suggestions.

bigbog

I don't have a stance on creating a forum or not But personally, I would encourage regular AZers to post items for sale. I know almost all of you guys are ahead of me on the learning curve. I would consider buying up some used gear as I try to catch up. The thing that bugs me is when random people sign up for AZ for the sole purpose selling chit.
Isn't that precisely why one should be created....to keep any foreigner's profiteering in its own forum....not in the middle of outdoor subject-related stuff...?? *Ditto Grassi21, not a biggie either way with me....

$.01

Last edited:

Grassi21

Isn't that precisely why one should be created....to keep any foreigner's profiteering in its own forum....not in the middle of outdoor subject-related stuff...??

$.01

I'm not for or against it. I just want some nice second hand gear. :)

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I belong to a Google group for swapping Macintosh computer stuff. I'm not sure how much work it is fo the moderator but just for kicks, I've opened one for this purpose: http://groups.google.com/group/the-ski-cheap-or-die-swap-list

That being said. I've posted one item but more to come. We have plent of outgrown stuff at our home.

And, just because I like AZ, I put a link on the SkiCheapOrDie main site.

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It's not the actually selling that's such a hassle, it's the shipping. I know lots of people with boards just sitting around because it's too much of a hassle to get rid of them. I think you'd find lots of people willing to pay for the shipping, rather than doing a pickup, but the roadblock is for the seller. I don't normally have ski/board-sized boxes laying around. I've bought equipment, just never sold. Mostly from people in the business, with access to these boxes.

So I think a FAQ explaining how to ship these items would be useful:
1. Where to get shipping boxes
2. What shippers will take it, where to go to drop it off (would Kinkos take it for Fedex?)
3. What's shipping cost?

Knowing these things might "loosen up" a lot more equipment.

bigbog

...Don't know..billski I really have to dissagree. It's never been any problems at all IF the transactions are handled outside the Website...not tying AZ to any responsibilities of the behavior of the parties. Have had nothing but excellent shippage with UPS.(Not affiliated..just a grateful customer...and it's closeby, but so is FedEX)

..just my usual $.01
:cool:

Trekchick

Moderating a Ski Gear Swap forum area is time consuming. Its difficult to keep it from becoming another Craigslist.
A tool that is meant to be a benefit for forum members, soon will attract those who "hit and run" to sell stuff.
JMHO.

bigbog

...Have to disagree with your April idea Trekchick;-);-)

Maybe Greg could reply with his answer...
I would think that a Forum, by itself, would be much easier to moderate. ...y/n???

Greg

Staff member
I would think that a Forum, by itself, would be much easier to moderate. ...y/n???

Post #4:

I think we need a legit gear swap forum. I know there is a gear forum, but we should set something up for getting rid of all gear/buying all types of gear; be it skis, binders, helmets, gloves, poles, etc.

Every other ski forum has a dedicated gear swap, why are we lagging?

If I'm wrong and just can't find it, call me an ahole and point me in the right direction.

Seems like this forum is lacking compared to epic and TGR in that regard.

Is it just due to site traffic?

Welcome back prisnah...what have you been up to???

Trekchick

I'm not the the least offended from someone having a different idea.
I've even been wrong a few times(would appreciate it if you wouldn't let I[hart]skiing know that)
, however, in this instance, I speak from experience.