• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wide brake binding on mid-fat ski?

Greg

Staff member
I scored a pair Rossi 120 bindings with a 100mm wide brake. Is there any harm in mounting these on a mid fat (say 80mm waist) ski?

snoseek

I'm far from an expert here but i don't see why not, they could even bend them in maybe. fat brakes always seem to be in demand these days, so maybe they will swap them out.

Hawkshot99

They will work no problem. Just if you were to ski like in the old days with your feet real tight to each other they would hit. But if you ski with a open stance, co problem.

koreshot

They probably would work, but you might get some rub against the snow during extreme angulation cause the brakes will stick out past the ski edge. Although, it will only be by about a cm.

I have a set of regular width Rossi 120 Axial 2 binders and will trade you for the wide brakes if you still choose to change to smaller brakes.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I had a set of 99mm wide brakes on a twin tip that was 80mm wider under foot and there were no problems, but if you want a tighter fit, let me know.

Last edited:

ccskier

Make sure that they do not get hung up on eachother. Keep a wide stance, they will also bend outwards much easier.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'll do you one better. I have 110 mm wide brakes (Freeride bindings) on my 67 mm waisted Rossi Cut's, circa 2001. I skied Tuck's with 'em. Worked fine.

Greg

Staff member
I have a set of regular width Rossi 120 Axial 2 binders and will trade you for the wide brakes if you still choose to change to smaller brakes.

PM sent.

Greg

Staff member
Thanks koreshot. We've made arrangements to trade brake assemblies. I just hope the ones he gives me aren't the ones he mangled up... ;)