• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekly Sundown Night Skiing Gathering: 2007-08

Greg

Staff member
[POST="197214"]Click[/POST]

Beetlenut

I can tell you that Route 44 in Avon and Canton has a lot of lights and shopping centers and is very stop and go. Plus a lot of commuters leaving the Greater Hartford area in the evening, I'd imagine.

Ok, thanks. I'll just have to drive it and take it as it comes. Anyone else with any local knowledge of getting to Sundown from the SouthEast, I'm all ears!!

Grassi21

Ok, thanks. I'll just have to drive it and take it as it comes. Anyone else with any local knowledge of getting to Sundown from the SouthEast, I'm all ears!!

Take 95 south, grab 9, take 91 south (it takes you 7 miles south but gets you to 91 and bypasses Hartford) to 691. 691 will end at 84. Take 84 east to 8. There is probably another route than 84 - 8 that might be more direct. I'd have to check a map. But 95 - 9 - 91 - 691 is good for bypassing Hartford. We use a kennel in Ashaway RI and take this route to and from our place in Southbury CT.

Greg

Staff member
Take 95 south, grab 9, take 91 south (it takes you 7 miles south but gets you to 91 and bypasses Hartford) to 691. 691 will end at 84. Take 84 east to 8. There is probably another route than 84 - 8 that might be more direct. I'd have to check a map. But 95 - 9 - 91 - 691 is good for bypassing Hartford. We use a kennel in Ashaway RI and take this route to and from our place in Southbury CT.

Getting to the 84/8 merge coming into Waterbury can be a nightmare too though.

Grassi21

Getting to the 84/8 merge coming into Waterbury can be a nightmare too though.

CT roads ingeneral are a nightmare. Time to move to VT. :beer:

But I agree Greg. If there was some route off off 84 that might take you up to New Hartford before hitting Waterbury that would be ideal... Just looked at a map. It would require some back road loving to avoid Waterbury and Hartford in this situation.

Beetlenut

Thanks Grassi, I live 2 exits up from Ashaway (exit 3 Wyoming/Richmond) . That route atleast uses major roads. About how long does it take you to do that trip? Looks like my only problem is getting there at that time of day.

Grassi21

Thanks Grassi, I live 2 exits up from Ashaway (exit 3 Wyoming/Richmond) . That route atleast uses major roads. About how long does it take you to do that trip? Looks like my only problem is getting there at that time of day.

From Ashway to my house is 1 hr and 45 min or less depending on traffic. But I am 15 min past where you would turn off on 8. Once you get off of 84 on 8 Sundown is probably a good 25 - 30 minutes (Greg or B correct me if I'm wrong). But yeah, time of day is going to be the hardest part.

bvibert

Staff member
From Ashway to my house is 1 hr and 45 min or less depending on traffic. But I am 15 min past where you would turn off on 8. Once you get off of 84 on 8 Sundown is probably a good 25 - 30 minutes (Greg or B correct me if I'm wrong). But yeah, time of day is going to be the hardest part.

30 mins from 8/84 sounds about right, maybe a bit more. As Greg mentioned though Waterbury can be a mess all by itself, though I think most of the traffic will be going the other way at that time. I never drive it that time of day though, so I can't really say for sure. There really isn't any good way to by-pass Hartford and Waterbury and still stay on major roads. Seems like going through Waterbury might be slightly better though... I guess.

Greg

Staff member
Received a nice Email from Chris today. He admitted that 15 day Accuweather forecasts are always a stretch, but they've got him excited about a potential November opening! :eek: I know Sundown always hopes for a T-day weekend opening; not sure if it ever has happened though. But maybe 11/28 is a possibility?! I'll be there on opening night as well as the first Wednesday night for sure!

Greg

Staff member
Once you get off of 84 on 8 Sundown is probably a good 25 - 30 minutes (Greg or B correct me if I'm wrong). But yeah, time of day is going to be the hardest part.

30 mins from 8/84 sounds about right, maybe a bit more. As Greg mentioned though Waterbury can be a mess all by itself, though I think most of the traffic will be going the other way at that time. I never drive it that time of day though, so I can't really say for sure. There really isn't any good way to by-pass Hartford and Waterbury and still stay on major roads. Seems like going through Waterbury might be slightly better though... I guess.

Probably 35 minutes from the 8/84 merge. I'm 15 mins north of Waterbury and it takes me exactly 25 mins to get to Sundown. That's at 70-75 MPH on my short stretch on route 8 and hitting good lights on 202. I would still try to avoid going through Wtby. That stretch on 84 between 691 and 8 could be 10 minutes or 30. You never know.

I guess I would start with the route 2 to 44 approach and hope for as smooth a ride as possible through Avon and Canton. That really is the most direct.

bvibert

Staff member
Received a nice Email from Chris today. He admitted that 15 day Accuweather forecasts are always a stretch, but they've got him excited about a potential November opening! :eek: I know Sundown always hopes for a T-day weekend opening; not sure if it ever has happened though. But maybe 11/28 is a possibility?! I'll be there on opening night as well as the first Wednesday night for sure!

That's both good and bad news... for me anyway... ;)

Grassi21

That would be sweet! I had a ski dream last night. Jones is getting bad.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm going to have to figure out how to fire up my Sundown weather tracker again so we can be watching for favorable weather conditions... :)

bvibert

Staff member
BTW, the website claims an additional 4 acres of 'jib' space on Stinger. That sounds like more clearing than I was imagining.

Grassi21

BTW, the website claims an additional 4 acres of 'jib' space on Stinger. That sounds like more clearing than I was imagining.

I love Stinger early season before all of the park features are put out. For park reasons, 4 more acres is great. To guys like us, no need to mess with that trail.

Greg

Staff member
Again, it's supposed to be all lower Stinger that was cleared; roughly the area where the lift leaves Stinger proper and into its own lift line, and down from there. Once the bumps are set up, it makes no difference to me in the least.

bvibert

Staff member
Yeah, I know the area where they cleared, I just didn't think it was that big. 4 acres seems like a lot of clearing to me.