• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekly Sundown Night Skiing Gathering: 2007-08

Greg

Staff member
We're into the countdown now by weeks. 8 Weeks, this week! :)

bvibert

Staff member
Can't wait! I'm doing my best to leave Weds nights open so that I can make as many of these as possible.

Greg

Staff member
Can't wait! I'm doing my best to leave Weds nights open so that I can make as many of these as possible.

Likewise. Sweet. Hopefully only 8 weeks from today. Perhaps 7 if we're really lucky. You bumping chairs again this season, B?

Grassi21

I'll be working in the lift department, hopefully not doing a lot of chair bumping though. ;)

You need to score a position in the summit shack. Or maybe you can invent a new position in that dept. Time the length of time it takes for the lift to run to the top, keep track of the length and frequency of lift stoppages, observe client behaviors during a stoppage... The beauty is that you would have to ride the lift up all day and then ski down for the next ride... Its worth a shot. ;-)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Looks like I'll have to miss out this year. Going to have to work those nights. Brian's free to go, though, as long as he can find someone to watch the kids. :D

bvibert

Staff member
You need to score a position in the summit shack. Or maybe you can invent a new position in that dept. Time the length of time it takes for the lift to run to the top, keep track of the length and frequency of lift stoppages, observe client behaviors during a stoppage... The beauty is that you would have to ride the lift up all day and then ski down for the next ride... Its worth a shot. ;-)

I always ask if they need a conditions tester, but they tell me that job is already filled... :(

Greg

Staff member
I sent the following Email to Chris and Jarrod. I wanted to provide some feedback on the bumps:

Hi Chris/Jarrod - Hope all is well. The ski season is soon approaching and I can't wait to get back on the Sundown bumps. I posted some feedback on last year's moguls in the Sundown forum, but I just wanted to Email it too.

• The mogul run extension up to the sun deck was great. It extended the length of the Nor'easter bumps nicely.
  • The practice bumps on Exhibition was a nice addition. It was great to have some more bumps on the way back to the lift and I know some people that weren't experienced in moguls but started to dabble in the Ex bumps.
  • Glad to see you seeded them as soon as it got cold enough. I'm hoping we'll get bumps in December this season if it gets cold earlier.
Suggestions:
  • Seed them a little tighter this season. There were some pretty broad troughs in there, especially on the flat middle section of Nor'easter.
  • The Lower Nor'easter bumps stopped far too short. I know that was intentional to give beginners a chance to collect themselves before merging on to Canyon Run, but I think you could have added 3-5 more rows and still left enough room to stop. Most people having trouble in the moguls aren't going that fast anyway.
  • The mid-season "grooming" really messed them up for a couple of weeks. I know the troughs probably got a bit ugly, but perhaps top coating with snowmaking may have been better.
  • They were sort of weirdly shaped last season as opposed to 2005-06. Sort of haystack-like. Perhaps this was due to the limited amount of natural snow as compared to the prior season?
  • How about adding a couple of small clearly marked kickers with maintained landing zones on the flat section in the middle of Lower Nor'easter? The lines in there sort of waver around anyway. Or maybe a kicker just up from the Temptor merge?
Finally, anything definitive on a mogul competition? Thanks for your time! Thinking cold...

Greg

Staff member
Sundown Pick-A-Night Lift Pass Early Pricing

Just wanted to remind everyone about this:

http://www.skisundown.com/programs/adults.php

Scroll all the way to the bottom. For $168, you can ski one weeknight each week all season:

Ski or ride from 6pm until 10pm one weeknight of your choice from the start of the season to the end of the season. With the Pick-A-Night program you don't have to choose the same night each week!

Price goes up to $288 after 10/31. This is by far the best option if you plan to hit at least six AZ nights.

Beetlenut

Ok, I just read the entire thread. Got half way through before I relized I was reading last years! I'm going to try and make some of these Wed nights once the mogules are up. Coming from Southern RI, so will probably come up Rt2 from Norwich. Not looking forward to getting around Hartford though. Not sure how long it will take to get there?
Think Snow!:snow:

Bill

Greg

Staff member
Ok, I just read the entire thread. Got half way through before I relized I was reading last years! I'm going to try and make some of these Wed nights once the mogules are up. Coming from Southern RI, so will probably come up Rt2 from Norwich. Not looking forward to getting around Hartford though. Not sure how long it will take to get there?
Think Snow!:snow:

Bill

Whoops. Good point. I split out this year's posts. Route 2 could work. You might want to take 91 straight through Hartford to Route 20 to Route 219. Coming home won't matter. Still gotta be a 2 hour drive, I'd imagine.

Beetlenut

Whoops. Good point. I split out this year's posts. Route 2 could work. You might want to take 91 straight through Hartford to Route 20 to Route 219. Coming home won't matter. Still gotta be a 2 hour drive, I'd imagine.

So I guess RT 44/202 out of Hartford is a nightmare that time of day? What about the Bradley Int'l traffic on RT20? What are the hours of peak traffic through Hartford. About what time does is get really conjested through there?

Greg

Staff member
So I guess RT 44/202 out of Hartford is a nightmare that time of day? What about the Bradley Int'l traffic on RT20? What are the hours of peak traffic through Hartford. About what time does is get really conjested through there?

Unfortunately, I cannot really answer your questions as I don't travel through this area. I also don't really know whether the Route 20 route is really that much better, but at least the connector is a limited access highway right to the airport.

I can tell you that Route 44 in Avon and Canton has a lot of lights and shopping centers and is very stop and go. Plus a lot of commuters leaving the Greater Hartford area in the evening, I'd imagine.